Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safety order bull****e

Options
  • 13-05-2015 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Can an ex get a safety order because of an argument with raised voices on both sides?

She called the Gardaí on me to ask me to leave the house which I obliged. Next day I received a safety order summons. I'm in court tomorrow.

She got a interim protection order claiming I was abusive to her which is utter bull****. Is the onus on her to prove it or on me to defend it?

I've never been abusive to her, we argued simply because of mediation over divorce. She changed her mind on what she wants I wanted to discuss it further and she said no so we argued. Simple as that.

Can someone give me an idea of what happens in the court? I'm nervous about it, never been there before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You need a lawyer , from your post you are way to close to this to succeed in getting the result you want. It's an interim order not the end of the world.

Free legal advice - don't breach the order.

I'm sure that advice is not against charter

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

Zambia wrote: »
    You need a lawyer , from your post you are way to close to this to succeed in getting the result you want. It's an interim order not the end of the world.

Free legal advice - don't breach the order.

I'm sure that advice is not against charter

I can't afford a lawyer, I've actually done nothing wrong. Will the judge seek evidence of her lies? Or is this just a case of my word against hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Well it is bull, I've to take a day of work to go to court to defend something that never happened. Good job you're not the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Joshua5 wrote: »
    I can't afford a lawyer, I've actually done nothing wrong. Will the judge seek evidence of her lies? Or is this just a case of my word against hers.
    As the saying goes, "it doesn't matter what you know, only what you can prove".
    Well it is bull
    So? Your language is aggressive, and if she pushes the right buttons in court, she can use your response against you.

If you can't afford a lawyer, either get free legal aid, or lose everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

As the above poster suggests you need to get a lawyer or free legal aid. You are angry and are coming across as very aggressive whether you mean to or not.

You need to calm down big time before you appear in court.

Miaireland wrote: »
    As the above poster suggests you need to get a lawyer or free legal aid. You are angry and are coming across as very aggressive whether you mean to or not.

You need to calm down big time before you appear in court.

I'm just saying its bull because I actually can't believe a man can be brought to court for having an argument with a woman. A verbal disagreement....

It's an abuse of court time surely! I'm not ranting or raving, I'm not even angry. I just find it is a complete joke that wastes everyone's time on the basis of a statement she made for nothing more than a chess board move for our divorce hearing.

She claimed in her interim protection order I was abusive which is a complete fabrication. I never ever ever had been abusive. This is all of a result of one simple fact. My current partner is now pregnant, my ex is scorned in someway. She can't move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Don't mind this guy, there's always someone on boards.ie who just wants to criticise everyone, possibly because of their own shortcomings.

Do you know anyone who would provide you with legal representation for a discount, or for free? Even just somebody who knows a bit about family law, for moral support...

If not, you'll just have to keep completely calm and concentrate hard on what is being said at the hearing. Speak slowly and clearly. Covey you were speaking civily without badmouthing her, don't even make reference to her if possible! Show them that you're surprised by the seriousness of the response because it will be clear from that that you don't deserve anything to happen.

That's what I would do in that situation anyway.

Chloris wrote: »
    Don't mind this guy, there's always someone on boards.ie who just wants to criticise everyone, possibly because of their own shortcomings.

Do you know anyone who would provide you with legal representation for a discount, or for free? Even just somebody who knows a bit about family law, for moral support...

If not, you'll just have to keep completely calm and concentrate hard on what is being said at the hearing. Speak slowly and clearly. Covey you were speaking civily without badmouthing her, don't even make reference to her if possible! Show them that you're surprised by the seriousness of the response because it will be clear from that that you don't deserve anything to happen.

That's what I would do in that situation anyway.

I am very calm, I will be very calm. I am shocked at it, surprised is an understatement. Even when we parted ways I supported her in many many ways. I never have badmouthed her, I think shes a great mother and the fact this has happened knocked me for six because we had a great relationship even after we split.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mod:

No more posts like this, please. Discussion of the topic at hand only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭acuriouscat

I'm in the same boat :( except I got one against my ex after he assaulted me,twice!!
    He retaliated and applied for one against me,which I find seriously unfair. Apparently me calling him names after he punched me is reason to apply for one, im court soon and I'm dying over it,you really need a solicitor my friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Joshua5 wrote:
    I am very calm, I will be very calm. I am shocked at it, surprised is an understatement. Even when we parted ways I supported her in many many ways. I never have badmouthed her, I think shes a great mother and the fact this has happened knocked me for six because we had a great relationship even after we split.
    So without coming across as indignant, you should convey your surprise. Write out a summary of the conversation you had with her the time she felt that it escalated. Don't bring any emotion into it but make sure you are emphatic that you didn't become angry or frustrated, if this was the case.

Another important thing is to steer clear of is pointing the finger at her. Just plead your innocence in the calmest, most reasonable way possible. I'm sure anyone would dismiss those claims if presented with a rational, unemotional account of the facts as you're presenting them here.

Chloris wrote: »
    So without coming across as indignant, you should convey your surprise. Write out a summary of the conversation you had with her the time she felt that it escalated. Don't bring any emotion into it but make sure you are emphatic that you didn't become angry or frustrated, if this was the case.

Another important thing is to steer clear of is pointing the finger at her. Just plead your innocence in the calmest, most reasonable way possible. I'm sure anyone would dismiss those claims if presented with a rational, unemotional account of the facts as you're presenting them here.

Good advice, but asides from the argument we had. Which was raised voices she now claims I was abusive. I'm wondering will she be asked to explain when I was abusive? I'd like to hear what she has to say, I've never been abusive to her. We've had some arguments, who hasn't. None would be classed as abusive. She had an opinion, I had one. We disagreed and left it there.

I'm in the same boat :( except I got one against my ex after he assaulted me,twice!!
    He retaliated and applied for one against me,which I find seriously unfair. Apparently me calling him names after he punched me is reason to apply for one, im court soon and I'm dying over it,you really need a solicitor my friend :)

If he hit you he hasn't got a leg to stand on really. I actually did nothing but disagree with her on something we previously agreed on for divorce mediation and she decided to change her mind.

I can't believe I'm in court to be frank. I can't believe this even got the air time, it's unreal.

Good advice, but asides from the argument we had. Which was raised voices she now claims I was abusive.
    If you think it's because of current gf is preggers, it could show her state of mind, so she could say that your tone, your body language, your language, etc, was abusive.

Get a solicitor to advise, as although you may not be able to afford it, do you stand to lose more than you lose with a solicitors fees? Check if you are entitled to free legal aid.

If nothing else, the solicitor may help show the judge that you take the accusations seriously.

the_syco wrote: »
    If you think it's because of current gf is preggers, it could show her state of mind, so she could say that your tone, your body language, your language, etc, was abusive.

Get a solicitor to advise, as although you may not be able to afford it, do you stand to lose more than you lose with a solicitors fees? Check if you are entitled to free legal aid.

If nothing else, the solicitor may help show the judge that you take the accusations seriously.

I'm pretty sure it is because I'm happy in life now and she is begrudging it. For example we are apart 5 years now. I'm with my current GF 4 years now. My ex wife claimed to my GF that we only split two years ago. My current GF brushed it off, she knows better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I can't believe I'm in court to be frank. I can't believe this even got the air time, it's unreal.

I'm not as sure as some others that you "need" a solicitor. But what you certainly do need is to be well turned out, polite and above all calm. There's no complicated point of law to be argued or anything like that - the judge will listen to her, listen to you and decide who he believes - if you're foaming at the mouth you've as good as made the decision for him.

If you want some advice (non legal) it's leave your past in the past, split your assets as best you can and forget all about your ex - don't call over, don't ring, don't text don't reply if she does. It doesn't matter who done what or who said what, draw a line and move on from it.
    She's your ex for a reason!

I'm not as sure as some others that you "need" a solicitor. But what you certainly do need is to be well turned out, polite and above all calm. There's no complicated point of law to be argued or anything like that - the judge will listen to her, listen to you and decide who he believes - if you're foaming at the mouth you've as good as made the decision for him.

If you want some advice (non legal) it's leave your past in the past, split your assets as best you can and forget all about your ex - don't call over, don't ring, don't text don't reply if she does. It doesn't matter who done what or who said what, draw a line and move on from it.
    She's your ex for a reason!

I don't disagree with anything you say. We have children so it adds to the complication. To be transparent we had been working mediation. We have a house, mortgage together. I pay it... Anyhow the day of this argument she said she wanted to talk. She 'changed' her mind (since the news of the new arrival) to say she actually wanted me to sign over the house to her. I previously suggested my share in a trust fund for my kids so they would have a start in life that I never did. Anyway I disagreed and she said no mediation then, we had an argument and here I am not facing court tomorrow. That's what this was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

This is not what you want to hear but my experience of District Court Judges is to get any family matters out of their court as quickly as possible and if she turns on the tears you are on a hiding to nothing.

My experience is not in safety orders but in maintenance hearings and all facts go out the window when the tears are flowing.

All of the above advice is correct in you staying calm. Even if she embellishes the truth don't talk across the table to her...don't react and when it comes to your turn plead your case.

Watch out for the tears.

This is not what you want to hear but my experience of District Court Judges is to get any family matters out of their court as quickly as possible and if she turns on the tears you are on a hiding to nothing.

My experience is not in safety orders but in maintenance hearings and all facts go out the window when the tears are flowing.

All of the above advice is correct in you staying calm. Even if she embellishes the truth don't talk across the table to her...don't react and when it comes to your turn plead your case.

Watch out for the tears.

I might try the tears myself LOL...

• Advertisement

She 'changed' her mind (since the news of the new arrival) to say she actually wanted me to sign over the house to her.
    Best get to know a family lawyer to avoid losing your share of the house, and to avoid the judge handing the family home to the mother and children.
    I'd say the tears are the only thing guaranteed, tbh.

the_syco wrote: »
    Best get to know a family lawyer to avoid losing your share of the house, and to avoid the judge handing the family home to the mother and children.

I'd say the tears are the only thing guaranteed, tbh.

Is it based on evidence or not? If it's not then I have no chance, if it is then she has no chance. It's all lies, she's bitter and a fraud.

It all depends on who the better liar is unfortunately .. The judge is only human so it's up to him if he falls for her lies. But I was also under the impression that a protection order is only given when there's acts or threats of violence?
    If it was given for arguments everyone in the country would have one,more than one

It all depends on who the better liar is unfortunately .. The judge is only human so it's up to him if he falls for her lies. But I was also under the impression that a protection order is only given when there's acts or threats of violence?
    If it was given for arguments everyone in the country would have one,more than one

We had an argument, raised voices. I went outside to my children, they didn't hear or see us arguing. I was helping them put together a trampoline. Next thing the Gardaí arrived, children went in and they asked me to leave because she 'was in fear'. I asked what was she in fear of, they had no answer but advised me to leave which I did. Next day I got the protection order, followed by the safety order.

The statement on the order from her said I struck her, I pushed her, I threatened her. None of which happened and if it did surely the Gardaí would have arrested me. They said on the day I didn't need to make a statement and just advised me to leave so she could 'cool off'.

she would have told the Guards there was violence on the day so?? If she didn't that will stand to you in court.
    And no the guards don't always arrest people on the day especially if it's seen as domestic. My ex wasn't arrested. Even though the guards were called when he struck me. I found this extremely unfair,violence is violence domestic or not. He was however arrears red when I made the statement(or will be). I really think u need a solicitor

she would have told the Guards there was violence on the day so?? If she didn't that will stand to you in court.
    And no the guards don't always arrest people on the day especially if it's seen as domestic. My ex wasn't arrested. Even though the guards were called when he struck me. I found this extremely unfair,violence is violence domestic or not. He was however arrears red when I made the statement(or will be). I really think u need a solicitor

After I got the summons with the statement she made I went to the Gardaí that attended on the day. They said nothing like that was said to them nor was a statement made and they wished me good luck.

I might add to this and say I was abroad for the last 4 years, I've only returned to Ireland. In the four years I was away I supported her and my children financially, I had regular visits home to my children and they came to visit me. Other than me giving her money and arranging time with my children I don't recall talking to her about sweet F'all. So how am I suppose to have been abusive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

There is no power of arrest for an assault unless there is an injury.

There is no power of arrest for an assault unless there is an injury.

Either way, I didn't touch her. I never did and never would. But if she claims I did and it's lies then it's my word against hers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Either way, I didn't touch her. I never did and never would. But if she claims I did and it's lies then it's my word against hers?

Yes. The judge will issue the order if he has "reasonable grounds for believing that the safety or welfare of the applicant or any dependent person" requires it. this does not require physical violence to be a factor.

• Advertisement

Yes. The judge will issue the order if he has "reasonable grounds for believing that the safety or welfare of the applicant or any dependent person". this does not require physical violence to be a factor.

Sure how is that fair on an innocent party. This is a move to prevent me from coming to my house to see my children and gain an upper hand in a divorce. I'm dreading this, I can nearly see the outcome judging on the messages here. I've no hope in proving my innocence.

Advertisement