Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some HMR wisdom wanted!

Options
  • 12-05-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have a hi power 22 air rifle and a 223. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 17(again). Given what I already have is this a folly???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Not at all ! I think the HMR would fit nicely into your collection ! I have two 22lr's , a HMR and a .223 ! All 3 calibres have their uses !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you think you need it, you need it. :D

I think the hmr will fill a "gap". It's the reason i have one and keep it even though i have rifles either side of it (caliber wise).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Thanks for the replies lads.

What I want is something to fill a license that I'll find useable. I don't want to relegate it to the cabinet cos the 223 is more than capable if there's a breeze outside

I'm in the same boat, but somewhat in reverse.

I have the .308s and the hmr. The 308 does everything and i mean everything however for some work it's "too much" and the hmr fills that role. However now i find i want something with more punch than the hmr, but without going into .308 territory so am looking at getting a .223 for myself.

The hmr suffers, almost, the exact same wind drift as a .22lr. So the stories about it being easily blown off are true. The other side of that coin is it is very flat shooting compared to the .22lr and, imo, a more effective round at longer ranges. My hmr has less than an inch of variance between 50 yards and 130 yards. Meaning it's a point and shoot rifle for the most between those distances. Out to 200 yards i'm looking at approx 3 inches of drop. Compare that to the .22lr and you have 6 inches of drop from 50 to 100, and over 24 inches from 50 to 200. Plus the energy, knocking power, etc is all down, way down, compared to the hmr.

If i were still doing rimfire comps i'd have a .22 (either as well as or inplace of the hmr), but as it's a pure bunny gun the hmr fits better.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

.22 for bunnies
    .17 for them bunnies that are easily frightened so the .17 is great for them lads and is a decent fox gun
    .223 for foxes
    So you've a gun there that can do both in the .17hmr
    I was thinking of one myself but i am more pushed towards a .22
    The only thing that puts me off the .17 is the noise. Even with a mod they're fairly loud.
    Or maybe that's just the ones I've seen and fired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Have been toying with the idea of adding a 17 to the lineup myself - have yet to try one out but they're seriously impressive on paper.
    The noise with a good moderator is, I'm told, on a par with HV's through an unmoderated 22... which is pretty loud for the range you'd be at alright. Not a problem for foxing I suppose, but I'd be concerned about the effect on a field full of rabbits - having said that, if you're reaching out to 150m for them then it may not be such a big deal...?

I'm not too worried about noise, accuracy and range are my concerns.

I met with a man last night to try out his mod and fire a few rounds, and he wanted his .17 zeroed. I thought his moderated rifle was very quiet and we tried a few other mods too.

A neighbouring farmer has a few horses and the only rounds I've seen to upset them are .22 HV. And that was with a mod. Sounded very much like a whip crack. They never took any notice of 204 or 223, with or without mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

I have a Wildcat Whisper on my HMR and find it a great piece of kit. It does a great job at reducing the "crack".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

And what about plunkin rabbits beside each other?
    Or do they run off
    My experience is they take off but with .22 they just act like nothing happened

1jay1 wrote: »
    I have a Wildcat Whisper on my HMR and find it a great piece of kit. It does a great job at reducing the "crack".

That's the exact mod we were using. Better than the SAK and streets ahead of a Parker hale.

Trying to get one ordered for myself. Where did you get yours Jay?

• Advertisement

I've seen them in Griffin and Hawes (Athy), Atlantic (Carlow) and Outdoor (Mullingar). Average price runs around €95.

I have an T8 AR on mine. It's .25cal but by feck does it make it quiet. You still hear the crack (nothing can stop a supersonic round making that noise), but its as far ahead of the SAK as the SAK is of the PH. Never heard the Wildcat one being fired so cannot compare it against the T8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

I see hausken are doing a .17 mod now say it might be pricey ,i paid 325 for the one for my .243 but the difference in sound to my roedale is massive so be interesting to see how the one for .17 would perform, i dont have any issues with sound with mine with the lei mod and have often taken a number of rabbits beside each other without any problems.
    It is my in between gun, i have the .22pcp and the .243 and i find this a perfect in between gun and is very cheap to run 50 rounds are 18 or 19 euro.
    I have pimped up my quad a bit since i bought it off a lad on here ;). nearly 4 years and 100's of rounds through it and it has never missed a beat ,the dirtier it gets the closer the groups.
    20150330_235325_zpsxoivevdl.jpg

Very nice little sako 👍🏻
    I don't remember it having a grs stock when I gave it away:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

lefthooker wrote: »
    Very nice little sako ðŸ‘ðŸ»
    I don't remember it having a grs stock when I gave it away:pac:
    The quad is the only way to go and if you get fed up with the .17 then you have 3 other calibres to choose from .
    That set up stands me nearly 3000 , expensive bunny basher but **** it , I don't drink,gamble or smoke my money away so I may as well put it into something I enjoy

Cass wrote: »
    I've seen them in Griffin and Hawes (Athy), Atlantic (Carlow) and Outdoor (Mullingar). Average price runs around €95.

Is this the same mod as you're talking about Cass
    https://www.irishshootingsports.ie/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=257_267&products_id=4299
    The quad is the only way to go and if you get fed up with the .17 then you have 3 other calibres to choose from .
    That set up stands me nearly 3000 , expensive bunny basher but **** it , I don't drink,gamble or smoke my money away so I may as well put it into something I enjoy

Have you tried hookers and drugs yet?:D

lefthooker wrote: »
    That's the one. I also made a mistake above:
    Average price runs around €95.
    I was thinking of the price of the A-tec one. A-Tec Rimfire Mod. They run around the €100 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I was thinking of the price of the A-tec one. A-Tec Rimfire Mod. They run around the €100 mark.

I bought an A-Tec for my .22. I noticed after I bought it that it's rated for magnum rimfire loads too. After I tried it on my HMR it never went back on the .22 again. It's really light and doesn't turn the rifle into a pendulum like my Parker-Hale used to. It's also very quiet.

Advertisement