Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would be considered "healthy"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Poster is kinda right, I doubt Audrey Hepburn squatted. Probably best to eat healthy and engage in sports like fencing, tennis if you want a nice body as a women.

Or do sports you enjoy, which could also include lifting, squatting, jogging, football, rugby, etc.

With regards to your 'nice body' comment - women who squat properly and regularly tend to have fantastic bums.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Poster is kinda right, I doubt Audrey Hepburn squatted. Probably best to eat healthy and engage in sports like fencing, tennis if you want a nice body as a women.

Squats would be part of training for both fencing and tennis.

Or do the women folk just play a genteel game before heading off to prepare afternoon tea for Mr Darcy and his chums?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 elprincipito

Squats would be part of training for both fencing and tennis.

Or do the women folk just play a genteel game before heading off to prepare afternoon tea for Mr Darcy and his chums?

Sharapova: “I can’t handle lifting more than five pounds,” Sharapova said. “It’s just annoying, and it’s just too much hard work. And for my sport, I just feel like it’s unnecessary.

I can't post the article because I am a new user, it is from a recent New York times article

All this squatting and weights for women is a fad, I wouldn't say it is essential at all unless of course you like lifting weights(Strangely some people find the idea of lifting metal in a room 'fun')

Marion Bartoli mentioned being able to squat 3 times her bodyweight at the peak of her powers. I doubt she did a full squat that much but she squatted is the point.

But squatting doesn't necessarily mean banging out heavy squats but a lot of tennis players will need to train their glutes and legs to improve their movement around the court or be better on grass where the ball stays lower and they have to sit lower. It may not even be squats but single leg work but they will usually do some resistance training for their lower body.

Just because you don't find weight training enjoyable doesn't mean no one does.

And there are plenty of female athletes that compete in sports outside of tennis and fencing AND who do resistance training who have nice bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

All this squatting and weights for women is a fad, I wouldn't say it is essential at all unless of course you like lifting weights(Strangely some people find the idea of lifting metal in a room 'fun')

Well technically its not necessary for ANYONE and among the women I know those who dont like lifting dont lift. Maybe it's a fad for some or maybe it's an opportunity for some women to try out something they always wanted to try but worried that people would tell them that a womans place is on the treadmill.

Op in terms of goal, did slimming world give you a goal? I dont know much about slimming world but i know its a big part of weight watchers. I get the importance of having a goal, how do you know you're going the right direction if there is no end point.
    For me its not a number on the scales or a bmi, it's a red dress! Tbh I'm not even sure of the size cos I had to cut the tags off as they were visable, but I know that when I can fit into that dress then the goal is achieved. For me numbers be it on the scales or bmi just give me something to obsess over and fixate on and that's not healthy for me

• Advertisement

Marion Bartoli mentioned being able to squat 3 times her bodyweight at the peak of her powers. I doubt she did a full squat that much but she squatted is the point.

But squatting doesn't necessarily mean banging out heavy squats but a lot of tennis players will need to train their glutes and legs to improve their movement around the court or be better on grass where the ball stays lower and they have to sit lower. It may not even be squats but single leg work but they will usually do some resistance training for their lower body.

And there are plenty of female athletes that compete in sports outside of tennis and fencing AND who do resistance training who have nice bodies.

This is going to sound rude but Bartoli does not exactly personify femininity. Like I say it depends on your goals, and there is nothing wrong with going gym as a women its just there are other ways to get in good shape, including ballroom dancing ;)

This is going to sound rude but Bartoli does not exactly personify femininity. Like I say it depends on your goals, and there is nothing wrong with going gym as a women its just there are other ways to get in good shape, including ballroom dancing ;)

Personally I prefer an Audrey Hepburn body to Jen Selter.

Luckily for women being pleasing to your eyes is not a requirement for existance!

It kinda is though, I mean not me personally but impressing guys, it be foolish to suggest girls don't workout to look hot.

It kinda is though, I mean not me personally but impressing guys, it be foolish to suggest girls don't workout to look hot.

I work out to be HEALTHY, not hot. Same reason I'm watching what I eat carefully and losing weight. I already like how I look, but being healthier is the aim because I'd like to live a long, fruitful life.

Suggesting some pro athletes don't look feminine enough FOR YOU, telling women we should be doing fcuking tennis and not lift or squat? Seriously? The sexism is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I think the real question here is how can a woman meet a man well off enough to afford a house that's big enough to put gym in the kitchen for her.

There are plenty of ways to get in good shape. Weight training is one of them.

And you have your preferences but that doesn't mean that any woman that does weight training but doesn't have a figure like Audrey Hepburn isn't feminine enough.

Because women have no agency of their own? We spend all our time thinking about what men think of us? We couldn't possibly have an interest in sports or hobbies if the end result isn't us bagging a man! Get a grip!

Because women have no agency of their own? We spend all our time thinking about what men think of us? We couldn't possibly have an interest in sports or hobbies if the end result isn't us bagging a man! Get a grip!

I certainly won't be fencing opposite you!

I have an interest in sports and have hobbies, the gym is just something I do, its boring as hell, but it has to be done or I won't feel good. Most people who go to the gym are doing it for vanity and to increase their value in the opposite sex, that is just reality.

I have an interest in sports and have hobbies, the gym is just something I do, its boring as hell, but it has to be done or I won't feel good.

Have you tried fencing?

Tremendous fun.

Oh I definitely work out to be health and hot.

No question.

And guess what - I squat :eek:

You guys should sheck out that article I alluded to actually. The Williams sisters don't touch weights btw.

Oh I definitely work out to be health and hot.

No question.

And guess what - I squat :eek:

You should really stop squatting before you develop a manly figure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You should really stop squatting before you develop a manly figure

You're joking, right? You are, of course...

• Advertisement

You're joking, right? You are, of course...

If you read my previous posts on this thread, you'll see I'm very much joking! Squatting = great arse.

I have an interest in sports and have hobbies, the gym is just something I do, its boring as hell, but it has to be done or I won't feel good. Most people who go to the gym are doing it for vanity and to increase their value in the opposite sex, that is just reality.

No it's your reality, my reality is that the gym is the best part of my day, it's where I can let off steam and I feel stronger and better about myself leaving than when I went in. Days I work out i'm in a better mood and more productive.

I'm sorry it's a chore for you and you feel you have to do something you dont enjoy because you want to conform to some notion of attractiveness but saying that's the reason women work out is just plain wrong.

I certainly won't be fencing opposite you!

I'll go easy on you!!

You guys should sheck out that article I alluded to actually. The Williams sisters don't touch weights btw.

They don't need to. Athletes only do weight training where it's going to improve theur performance. Squatting won't improve Serena's game. She has enough strength for her game as it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well thats an old thread bumped and taken wildly off topic into some wonderful sexual stereotyping. But I think we will leave it here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement