Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seat base turntables

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

digger58 wrote: »
    Parallel to what exactly? The runners are sitting on and bolted to ridges in the "pan" All these are in line and level with each other. I don't see where you are getting ideas about bending, the runners work perfectly, they have to otherwise the seat won't swivel! Has society become paranoid and pedantic about having engineers do everything for us? Thankfully I still believe in actually doing things, getting my hands dirty, if it works, great, if not different approach and try again.

Amen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

As far as I can see in the photo the face that the bolt head is sitting on is flat and the face the nut/washer is on is curved. The bolting faces aren't parallel.

348515.png

When that bolt is tightened you have a bending stress.

"The bending stress may be several times higher than the tensile loading in the bolt core and often causes breaking of the bolt in the thread output. Additional bending is always very dangerous as far as strength of the bolt (particularly in case of a variable loading) and you must prevent this by careful machining surfaces and/or using levelling or ball pads."
    digger58 wrote: »
    if it works, great, if not different approach and try again.

And how do you know it works, the strength of those bolts is compromised, you have no idea how much until you either calculate it or test it destructively for example in a crash. It doesn't take much effort to just do it properly. If cars were made like that there would be a lot of fatal accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

RELAX I think you're too "stressed", If there was that much of a twist in the runners they wouldn't work!! As for "If cars were made like that there would be a lot of fatal accidents" I speak from experience and qualification in this, having spent many years investigating fatal accidents as a forensic collision investigator I DID NOT COME ACROSS ANY ACCIDENT CAUSED BY MECHANICAL FAILURE , that is a fact, Most things are over engineered anyway to give a good safety margin. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but the incidences are so rare as to be negligible. Now talk about driver error and we have common ground. Must go now and fix my lawnmower, but shock horror I'm not an engineer so that will probably be dangerous as well. How did I survive all the horrendously dangerous machines I have "played" with in the past......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 white van man pyh90tm

moodrater wrote: »
    Those C8 swivels look like a balls to work with I would get the seats and rails with them if you want to go that route.

Your google must be broken. Manufacturer is in the first couple of hits on google web

wrong, google search results are never the same on different computers, i could go to your house and we can both search for the same thing and get different results, try it

Advertisement