Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chillies

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

They are for lighting but do give off heat also

Thanks.

Saw some on Amazon so thinking about getting one, mine are under velux window so getting good light but every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Shemale wrote: »
    Thanks.

Saw some on Amazon so thinking about getting one, mine are under velux window so getting good light but every little helps

I find that the plants grow much more bushy and spread out when under the lights if any help..

I find that the plants grow much more bushy and spread out when under the lights if any help..

Cheers it certainly does.

Where did you get your ones?

I am trying out root trainers this year, to see if that gets them a good edge for when they are outside

Shemale wrote: »
    Cheers it certainly does.

Where did you get your ones?

I am trying out root trainers this year, to see if that gets them a good edge for when they are outside

Have it a good few years now so struggling to remember tbh... Pretty sure it was. Amazon tho..

I grow a lot of chillies and sweet peppers each year (I grew over 50 chilli plants alone!!) so it was a great buy for me...

Potting onto final big pots and throwing in some chicken manure pellets never lets me down..

Have it a good few years now so struggling to remember tbh... Pretty sure it was. Amazon tho..

I grow a lot of chillies and sweet peppers each year (I grew over 50 chilli plants alone!!) so it was a great buy for me...

Potting onto final big pots and throwing in some chicken manure pellets never lets me down..

Thanks, hope you get a great harvest.

• Advertisement

Did a bit of a count last night and so far I have 83 chilli plants:eek:
    When will I learn not to sow so many:eek: :D

Did a bit of a count last night and so far I have 83 chilli plants:eek:
    When will I learn not to sow so many:eek: :D

The toilet paper bill will go through the roof :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Was in B&Q earlier. Some nice plants if you want to try som enew ones or didn't get much planted. A bit expensive @ €4 each but they do have a younger pack of plants for €8. The 6 pack is 2X Jalapeno, 2X Hot Banana and 2X Hot Thai Dragon. Think they had another option also.
    Individuals include red and yellow Scotch Bonnet, Padron, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and a few i hadn't heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Do you guys top your Chilli plants? I bought the pack that captainshamroc mentioned a few weeks ago and they are coming along nicely. Also growing some others from seeds but they are still very small.

Have about 35 I grew from seed ranging from 2 to 5 inches high, 4 that managed to survive the winter indoors and about 10 that I bought in B&Q.
    A couple of Jalapeno didn't make it through the winter as I just didn't have the room indoors which was a pity as they were two years old and would give a decent crop. But there you go. That's half the fun of growing chillies. Starting fresh every spring.

• Advertisement

If anyone is stuck for a couple of chilli plants and/or wants to swap some, then (location dependent of course) I have a few :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

If anyone is stuck for a couple of chilli plants and/or wants to swap some, then (location dependent of course) I have a few :rolleyes:

First time chilli grower here.

What size pot would they generally end up in?

I've planted some from seed in early march. They are extremely slow coming along I must say. Jalapeño and Joe's Long cayenne

Holy Diver wrote: »
    First time chilli grower here.

What size pot would they generally end up in?

I've planted some from seed in early march. They are extremely slow coming along I must say. Jalapeño and Joe's Long cayenne

The bigger pot you have them in at the end, the more they grow and the more chillies you will get, I find..
    I aim for something like the black flower buckets you see in supermarkets or slightly bigger in some cases, depending on the type of chilli..I also throw some chicken manure pellets in to last bucket...Regardless of pot size, you will get some chillies, but a decent size ( 20" or greater) should produce many more...

mcgovern wrote: »
    Do you guys top your Chilli plants?

I have topped a few plants over the years but never really saw a big enough difference to do it to all my plants. I think that they grow so slowly in the Irish winter/early spring I just don't have the heart to top them.

Advertisement