Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chillies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

nokiatom wrote: »
    I've never done it but intend trying it. What I would like to know is where is the best place to store them.

I have them in the house on a window ledge in some sun.
    the criteria are the must be kept above 10deg C at all times.
    I was thinking of leaving some in the pollytunnel which is slightly heated but my fear is i will lose some.

Cutting back looks sever i left a leaf or two on them but some people cut right back to the main stem.
    you WILL lose some keep more then you need next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

My jalapenos are heading to the dehydrator.....3 trays of them

I am so jealous....I have ONE chili, a great return from 4 plants that i have been hand nursing since bloody February or March!! I had 2 for a few days but one of them dropped off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

I recently started growing ED's Carolina Reapers, Red Habeneros and Japenios.

Have them in the germinator at the moment. They are coming along nicely, some didn't germinate but I was told the hotter the fruit the harder it is to germinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

gucci wrote: »
    I am so jealous....I have ONE chili, a great return from 4 plants that i have been hand nursing since bloody February or March!! I had 2 for a few days but one of them dropped off!!

You are probably being too nice to them. Back off from them the next time round the more attention you give them the poorer the return. I've just taken a third crop of my cayenne and will probably cut it back next week if I don't see any more flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

gucci wrote: »
    and I set the seeds in mid may !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

goose06 wrote: »
    You are probably being too nice to them. Back off from them the next time round the more attention you give them the poorer the return. I've just taken a third crop of my cayenne and will probably cut it back next week if I don't see any more flowers.

Thank you for the advice, I think I have learned the hard way on that alright!

the last of my jaleponos

and ready for the dehydrator

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

That looks great. Think I'm going to have to invest in a dehydrator for next year.
    Still pulling chillies off a few plants. Jalapeno's and Hungarian Wax are still growing but not much on anything else so started cutting back a few of them. Going to cut everything back at the end of the month no matter what to give them a few months break. This was my first year trying to grow and really enjoyed it. Fresh chilies with most meals is the business. The girlfriend has already been warned that one shelf in the hotpress is for seeds come January and that the house is going to be full of plants next year although I might chance putting them out once the summer comes.

Anyone getting ready to start planting? Whats your plan?

Thinking to plant seeds in the next few weeks time. Probably mid February
    Three or four weeks in the hotpress to sprout followed by small pots by a warm sunny window for March and April. Replant in bigger pots and then outside in mid May or so.
    Not sure if I'll try a poly tunnel or not yet.

Anyone have any hints or tips? Only did one plant from seed last year as most failed to germinate but it worked really well so hoping to replicate it on a larger scale.

• Advertisement

Anyone getting ready to start planting? Whats your plan?

Thinking to plant seeds in the next few weeks time.

What are you planning on growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

hi

Im no expert, but is it not a bit late to be trying to germinate seed?
    I planted from seed in Mid march and i reckon i was too late
    see attached, thats what they looked like about two weeks ago

you can buy decent little plants from Homebase (apache) or B&Q (lots of varieties)
    for about e1.40 each to give you a head start

cheers

I have a few that over wintered and survived sweet pepper and a few chilli. Saved seeds are in the hot press now.

goose06 wrote: »
    What are you planning on growing?

From seed
    Cayenne
    Jalapeno
    Habanero
    Trinidad Scorpion

From last years cut backs
    Cayenne
    Jalapeno
    Hungarian Wax - These were fairly bland so will let them die if I'm stuck for space
    Joes Long Chilli
    A few others I am not sure what they are.

The Cayenne and Jalapeno were great for cooking so those are what I really want and the others are experiments to see what I get.
    Will run out of last years supply in a few weeks so have a few long months with no chillies so dying to get started.

From seed
    Cayenne
    Jalapeno
    Habanero
    Trinidad Scorpion

From last years cut backs
    Cayenne
    Jalapeno
    Hungarian Wax - These were fairly bland so will let them die if I'm stuck for space
    Joes Long Chilli
    A few others I am not sure what they are.

The Cayenne and Jalapeno were great for cooking so those are what I really want and the others are experiments to see what I get.
    Will run out of last years supply in a few weeks so have a few long months with no chillies so dying to get started.

Yeah the Cayenne's are good and very easy to look after. I had a couple Pairie Fires, nice little plants and plenty of Chilli's but not super hot. Half tempted to try grow a Carolina Reaper myself but wouldn't chance eating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Where's the best place in Dublin to buy a variety of chilli seeds? When you see the seeds in supermarkets, they're generally labelled Chillies!

Where's the best place in Dublin to buy a variety of chilli seeds? When you see the seeds in supermarkets, they're generally labelled Chillies!

I usually buy them online. A couple of the sites I've used:

Ebay
    http://www.seedaholic.com/edibles/vegetables/chillies-peppers.html
    https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

This is a good place for info as well
    http://thehotpepper.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I have never pollinated the flowers myself and have always had plenty of fruits. Don't think it's necessary TBH.

In my experience it is absolutely necessary and makes a big difference. I had got chillis without pollinating with a paintbrush, but I got lots and lots more when I pretended to be a bee.

Diziet wrote: »
    In my experience it is absolutely necessary and makes a big difference. I had got chillis without pollinating with a paintbrush, but I got lots and lots more when I pretended to be a bee.

Yep definitely, I get hardly any flower drop when I do it.

So have people started planting yet?
    My seeds went in the hotpress on Monday

Cayenne
    Tabasco
    Seranno
    Bird Eye
    Ring of Fire
    Jalapeno
    Guntur Sannam
    Trinidad Scorpion
    Orange Habanero
    Chocolate Habanero

Lost 4 out of 9 plants I cut back and overwintered. Not too upset as the Jalapeno and Cayenne survived.

My second year trying and didn't use the hotpress last year so expecting big things this year:-)

Bought the windowsill propagator and compost this morning. Ready to start sewing this weekend! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I sowed my seeds this afternoon in the propagator, Jalapeno's & Thai chilli's (can't really remember, but their hot)

I have one that still looks alive from last year in the glasshouse. Have another three in pots that look good too so praying that I won't have to set seeds

it looks as though it has survived

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Lots of seeds sown, some over a month ago..
    Too many to list but includes Jalapeno, Purple Jalapeno, Habanero, Mucho Nacho, Filius Blue, Satan's Kiss, Chilaca, HBW etc:)

Some new leaves sprouting in the last few days from the overwintered plants. They really were starting to look sad.
    About 15% of the seeds are sprouting after a week so going to start potting them this weekend. Bit worried that once I move them from the hotpress to a windowsill they won't have enough heat as its so early in the year, but hey spring is here :-) and they will need the light.

Some new leaves sprouting in the last few days from the overwintered plants. They really were starting to look sad.
    The overwintered plants are all getting bigger homes as soon as it is warm enough to put them outside. Reckon mid May.

I think some people are setting seeds to early. last year I set seeds in april but nothing happened. I tried again in may and they all germinated. I had a nice crop of chillies and picked the last of them in early november

You could be right Nokiatom. Will have to wait and see.
    Going for volume this year. Lots of plants and as big as possible so I had planned on a few batches of planting, March April and May. Have had a few types germinate already but it will be interesting to see which plants work and which don't at different times of the year.

I've sown three varieties -

'Firecracker' 30,000-40,000 scoville rating
    'Long Red Slim Cayenne' 30,000-50,000 scoville rating
    'Chocolate Habanero' 425,000 scoville rating

Here we go for another rollercoaster growing season!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I think some people are setting seeds to early. last year I set seeds in april but nothing happened. I tried again in may and they all germinated. I had a nice crop of chillies and picked the last of them in early november

Not if you have a propagator it's not:)

• Advertisement

Not if you have a propagator it's not:)
    I never had a propagator. I presume that when you take them out of the propagator you need a warm place. at the moment the weather would not seem ideal for doing that

Advertisement