Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

croke park flex hours

Options
  • 01-05-2015 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of information regarding the five flex hours. How are people in different schools making these up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Just looking for a bit of information regarding the five flex hours. How are people in different schools making these up?

Flex hours don't apply to teachers at second level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We were told that the 5 hours could be made up by subject dept meetings (must be minuted) and/or by attending PDST and providing the attendance cert. They could be held during school hours if the people involved had free classes that could be used for meetings/planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Flex hours don't apply to teachers at second level.

Have you a reference/circular for this??

We've had ten lunch time meetings with subject departments or year head and tutor meetings. Planned in advance, with agenda submitted to principal, and minutes taken.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Have you a reference/circular for this??

We've had ten lunch time meetings with subject departments or year head and tutor meetings. Planned in advance, with agenda submitted to principal, and minutes taken.

I didn't get what op meant by flex hours. That is a term specific to third level.

Op is applying it to 5/33 hours that are non whole school? Makes sense ib that context.

I'm not a big fan of the 'working lunch' myself. We have assigned hours in different ways that allow staff to do certain work in their own time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I didn't get what op meant by flex hours. That is a term specific to third level.

Op is applying it to 5/33 hours that are non whole school? Makes sense ib that context.

I'm not a big fan of the 'working lunch' myself. We have assigned hours in different ways that allow staff to do certain work in their own time.

I'm getting pretty sick of the 'working lunch' myself (two last week and two next week). Grand for teachers who don't do extra curricular on those (or any) days but when you can't attend you end up being frozen out from important decisions that are made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I'm getting pretty sick of the 'working lunch' myself (two last week and two next week). Grand for teachers who don't do extra curricular on those (or any) days but when you can't attend you end up being frozen out from important decisions that are made.

or supervision ! I have told teachers in our department I will point blank refuse to attend any lunch meetings or pre school either for that matter. dangerous precendence to be starting . has not happened yet .....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I concur, its not a lot of hours and I am finding teachers suddenly realise they must do them with a few weeks to go so cramming them in wherever and whenever. At the end of it all, its up to individual group of teachers to plan the 5 hours accordingly and record the application of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

TheDriver wrote: »
    I concur, its not a lot of hours and I am finding teachers suddenly realise they must do them with a few weeks to go so cramming them in wherever and whenever. At the end of it all, its up to individual group of teachers to plan the 5 hours accordingly and record the application of them.

And what happens if they don't, ie complete the full five hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

They were a good idea in theory and not so bad if you have a small department but if you have to find a day to suit six or seven people its impossible- someone will be stuck on lunchtime S&S or will have had a nine period day or will have some extra curricular activity......We aren't allowed use our CPD done in our own time as part of the five hours when other schools are. Not very motivating to say the least (and before someone asks, yes most of us still do the CPD, but its galling to have it discounted and working lunches insisted on instead.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thanks for the replies folks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

If you're doing extra curricular on top of teacher's detention, you're making a rod for your own back.

km79 wrote: »
    or supervision ! I have told teachers in our department I will point blank refuse to attend any lunch meetings or pre school either for that matter. dangerous precendence to be starting . has not happened yet .....
    A "working lunch" is against working time legislation if it means that the people involved will then be working more than four hours without a break.

We aren't allowed have them for this reason, if any member of the group would be in this position.

katydid wrote: »
    A "working lunch" is against working time legislation if it means that the people involved will then be working more than four hours without a break.

We aren't allowed have them for this reason, if any member of the group would be in this position.

Presume you're allowed have them if everyones in agreement... so the question is, who's going to say no when their job isnt permanent?
    Also if you're the one 'awkward' fella who doesn't turn up then decisions get made without you, and in my experience the decision makers get noticed/ promoted.

I wouldnt mind a union directive though to just reset the clock.

What I want to know is why schools/dept dont give teachers time off/cover during the working day to do the meetings. I was talking to another teacher who said she used to get a half day free a week for meetings in the UK.

This year has just been crackers with the s&s and extra anything-but-relevant CP meetings in terms of putting the squeeze on our time, I think everyone is trying to make the best of a bad lot as the school stuff and decisions just have to be made.

Presume you're allowed have them if everyones in agreement... so the question is, who's going to say no when their job isnt permanent?
    Also if you're the one 'awkward' fella who doesn't turn up then decisions get made without you, and in my experience the decision makers get noticed/ promoted.

I wouldnt mind a union directive though to just reset the clock.

What I want to know is why schools/dept dont give teachers time off/cover during the working day to do the meetings. I was talking to another teacher who said she used to get a half day free a week for meetings in the UK.

This year has just been crackers with the s&s and extra anything-but-relevant CP meetings in terms of putting the squeeze on our time, I think everyone is trying to make the best of a bad lot as the school stuff and decisions just have to be made.
    No, not if one of the people involved would be contravening the working hours legislation. (Management go out of their way to make teachers' detention as awkward as possible - they want us to meet from half four to half five, after school hours and do everything they can to make sure this happens)

The whole point of Croke Park hours is that they are EXTRA WORK. The government wants the public to see that they are making the lazy teachers do extra work, so it certainly can't be done by using cover or giving time off to do it. These kind of meetings used to be held partly in school time, but no more. The union directive is that they must be held outside of school hours.

We certainly should make the best of a bad lot, but a line should be drawn in the sand and the forced hour should be deducted from any extra-curricular activities. In many schools, teachers have given up extra curricular activities altogether; it's insulting to be given teachers' detention to satisfy the public, when no recognition is given to the countless hours given free already by teachers.

I agree , although the meetings for me at lunch time are not necessarily CP subject/whole school related. Planning school trip, end of year events for students etc. Usually we could find a free slot but the on-calls have have put a stop to them

I agree , although the meetings for me at lunch time are not necessarily CP subject/whole school related. Planning school trip, end of year events for students etc. Usually we could find a free slot but the on-calls have have put a stop to them
    We hold them anyway, but keep quiet about them. We just minute them as the date, and don't mention the time, just in case management decide to get picky.

It's all so stupid and insulting; teachers give so many hours of their free time, and this is the government saying "we don't care about all that, we have to show the public that you are working more, because taking twenty percent of your salary is not enough". As I've often said, my father, who was a teacher, and who gave up hours in the evening and at weekends for his students, must be turning in his grave at what's being done to the education system.

Aye, does anyone know if these CP hours were just temporary or are we stuck with them?

Presume they are here to stay (stupid question) youd think they could be transformed and put to better use. Ireland being Ireland someone in the dept will dream up of another crazy initiative to get us jumping through hoops.

Aye, does anyone know if these CP hours were just temporary or are we stuck with them?

Presume they are here to stay (stupid question) youd think they could be transformed and put to better use. Ireland being Ireland someone in the dept will dream up of another crazy initiative to get us jumping through hoops.

I think we should go all out to get rid of them once HR expires next year.Putting them to "better use" only copperfastens the concept behind them that teachers must be made to sweat for every penny.They devalue our net worth as well as undermine our professionalism.

katydid is right.They are an enormous insult and we should never stop resenting them. For me they were the final nail in the coffin of any naive trust I had that politicians would protect the country's front line public servants.

acequion wrote: »
    I think we should go all out to get rid of them once HR expires next year.Putting them to "better use" only copperfastens the concept behind them that teachers must be made to sweat for every penny.They devalue our net worth as well as undermine our professionalism.

katydid is right.They are an enormous insult and we should never stop resenting them. For me they were the final nail in the coffin of any naive trust I had that politicians would protect the country's front line public servants.

We're stuck with s&s, the payment due in 2 or three years time is to be taken account of in pay negotiations :'( . To even contemplate the idea of the 33 hours being indefinite is horrific.

That said the day of closing the school for meetings is gone. So would you be looking at a staff meeting and subject planning meeting per term plus the ptms? They're in since 04 anyway..

Rambling here I know - it shows how far back the squeeze more agenda goes though!!

There will be something.

We're stuck with s&s, the payment due in 2 or three years time is to be taken account of in pay negotiations :'( . To even contemplate the idea of the 33 hours being indefinite is horrific.

That said the day of closing the school for meetings is gone. So would you be looking at a staff meeting and subject planning meeting per term plus the ptms? They're in since 04 anyway..

Rambling here I know - it shows how far back the squeeze more agenda goes though!!

There will be something.
    The only language they understand is showing them what their policies are doing to the education system. If they want to enforce detention for teachers, fine. But the other side of that is that if we have to do this extra work, we don't have to do all the other work we already do and they don't value. The choir, the football, the school trips, the extra tuition at lunchtime. It's tough on the students in the short term, but it might make them sit up and realise what they're doing. If they don't trust us as professionals to give our time willingly, well...

It is already happening in many schools.

• Advertisement

There will be something.

ptms plus staff and subject planning per term is pretty much what we have now.And it amounts to 45,not 33. There has to be a big row back.I can accept ptms after school,tiring as they are,but that's about it. Having to sit around after a long day, filling up stupid forms and ticking boxes for "subject planning" is plain torture,totally non productive and condescending to teachers.That sort of imposition has to be got rid of.Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

And what happens if they don't, ie complete the full five hours?

I think you can be made do an extra 5 hours S & S. Aint read the circular in ages so working of memory.

jjdonegal wrote: »
    I think you can be made do an extra 5 hours S & S. Aint read the circular in ages so working of memory.

Thanks jjdonegal. That's very interesting.And I wonder what happens if you don't do S&S?

I'd be very surprised if everyone,everywhere has completed the full five hours. Twill be interesting to see if the tanks roll in and arrest 'em! :eek:

Thanks jjdonegal. That's very interesting.And I wonder what happens if you don't do S&S?

I'd be very surprised if everyone,everywhere has completed the full five hours. Twill be interesting to see if the tanks roll in and arrest 'em! :eek:

Ya I know of a union rep who doesnt do any supervision or croke park meetings... he said there was nothing about reprimands for not doing it in CP/HR agreement so he's happy to put the ball into management's court in the school. If they dont reprimand him then hey ho, away ya go.

Although I would presume that it would be part of the general teachers duties so the school could take action if they wanted (same as if any teacher refused to correct mocks or attend parent teacher meetings).

Ya I know of a union rep who doesnt do any supervision or croke park meetings... he said there was nothing about reprimands for not doing it in CP/HR agreement so he's happy to put the ball into management's court in the school. If they dont reprimand him then hey ho, away ya go.

Although I would presume that it would be part of the general teachers duties so the school could take action if they wanted (same as if any teacher refused to correct mocks or attend parent teacher meetings).

That union rep is being very stupid. Like it or not, the union agreed to these unfair conditions, and teachers don't get to pick and choose which terms and conditions they can decide to obey. How can he represent the union and do something like this; the union should take him in hand; he's not showing any kind of leadership. And if he continues, management should take action - we'd see how brave he would be then, if his job were at stake.

Not that I support these things; I voted against them all the way, as did, as far as I can gather, most of the colleagues in my workplace. But I accept the democratic mandate of my colleagues overall.

ptms plus staff and subject planning per term is pretty much what we have now.And it amounts to 45,not 33. There has to be a big row back.I can accept ptms after school,tiring as they are,but that's about it. Having to sit around after a long day, filling up stupid forms and ticking boxes for "subject planning" is plain torture,totally non productive and condescending to teachers.That sort of imposition has to be got rid of.Simple as.

What people seem to forget is that a majority voted for this. Voting for Croke Park and Haddington Road meant agreeing to this nonsense. I didn't vote for it - don't know about you, but we all, if we are union members, have to accept the consequences of a democratic mandate.

That union rep is being very stupid. Like it or not, the union agreed to these unfair conditions, and teachers don't get to pick and choose which terms and conditions they can decide to obey. How can he represent the union and do something like this; the union should take him in hand; he's not showing any kind of leadership. And if he continues, management should take action - we'd see how brave he would be then, if his job were at stake.

Not that I support these things; I voted against them all the way, as did, as far as I can gather, most of the colleagues in my workplace. But I accept the democratic mandate of my colleagues overall.

Aye, but it just answers the question posed earlier of "whats the punishment?".... so my take is that.... nobody knows, but someones decided to find out!. and I would guess that in terms of union and department interactions; both sides occasionaly push the boundaries to force a test case.

Aye, but it just answers the question posed earlier of "whats the punishment?".... so my take is that.... nobody knows, but someones decided to find out!. and I would guess that in terms of union and department interactions; both sides occasionaly push the boundaries to force a test case.

But it looks like there's not going to be any test case; the guy is just getting away with it while his colleagues do their bit

What people seem to forget is that a majority voted for this. Voting for Croke Park and Haddington Road meant agreeing to this nonsense. I didn't vote for it - don't know about you, but we all, if we are union members, have to accept the consequences of a democratic mandate.

Yera democratic mandate my hat!!! There is nothing democratic about forcing ballot after ballot upon people until they give in. And even if a majority eventually caved that doesn't mean that a campaign to scrap these strait jacket austerity agreements should not get under way before they expire.

And no I certainly never voted for them.I'd hardly be on here ranting against them if I did!

• Advertisement

Yera democratic mandate my hat!!! There is nothing democratic about forcing ballot after ballot upon people until they give in. And even if a majority eventually caved that doesn't mean that a campaign to scrap these strait jacket austerity agreements should not get under way before they expire.

And no I certainly never voted for them.I'd hardly be on here ranting against them if I did!

The ballots were for different things each time. The union came back with something slightly different every time (they had to - although I would have been happy for them to tell the government to stuff their deals)

The members didn't have to give in and vote for it. They chose to give in. In the TUI, at least, we had a gun to our head - we were told that if we didn't vote for it, people would lose their jobs. That was said unequivocally by those on the executive and by the president of the time

I agree totally that we should be campaigning to get rid of them, but however it was conducted, it was a democratic mandate and as trade unionists we have to accept it.

Advertisement