Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Millem wrote: »
    Apologies for the probably stupid questions.
    We are bringing our 18 month old swimming for the first time to cheeverstown.
    Do I buy arm bands for him? Also does he wear crocs walking out to pool? Where do you buy baby swimming hats?
    Thanks

The armbands are your choice. I've never used them, as the swimming instructor we had said they were not great for learning to swim. But for a bit of splashy fun, I'm sure they're fine. We just got our first certificate from the classes for being able to swim. I'm such a super proud mammy. She can do 5m on her front (goggles on, head in the water) and 5m on her back, at age 4. :D I'm sure I was 11 by the time I could do that!

We don't have crocs either.

Baby swimming hats are in sports shops. Cummins etc. If your baby is bald, you may not need them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

pwurple wrote: »
    The armbands are your choice. I've never used them, as the swimming instructor we had said they were not great for learning to swim. But for a bit of splashy fun, I'm sure they're fine. We just got our first certificate from the classes for being able to swim. I'm such a super proud mammy. She can do 5m on her front (goggles on, head in the water) and 5m on her back, at age 4. :D I'm sure I was 11 by the time I could do that!

We don't have crocs either.

Baby swimming hats are in sports shops. Cummins etc. If your baby is bald, you may not need them! :)

Thanks pwurple that's brill congrats. We are only going for a splash! I think next week cheeverstown will be ovening up mon-fri for public swims in afternoon so if all goes well I can bring him mid week as I think weekend might be a big too hectic!
    I have never heard of cummins? Would lifestyle sports etc have them?i need to buy togs for me too .

Millem wrote: »
    I have never heard of cummins? Would lifestyle sports etc have them?i need to buy togs for me too .

Probably a cork shop! Yes, I'd say any sports shop would have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I use normal hats on my 2. I bought baby hats and didnt fit my 3yr old and my 15mnth old outgrew it about 2 months ago. So now wearing adult speedo hats. We have to use the rubber ones though due to grommets.

Pwurple thats fab for a 4yr old . No one here starts lessons until 4 so we just use the arm bands or the floaty jacket with them . They will both let head go under and love jumping in but patiently waiting until they are old enough.
    I think its essential they learn young so they dont develop a fear.
    Its probably the only thing i wil MAKE my kids do.

• Advertisement

Suucee wrote: »
    Its probably the only thing i wil MAKE my kids do.

Oh yes, there is so much water around here... Sure every city in the country has a river running through it, and we've so much coastline. Even the number of other sports that are opened up by the ability to swim. Surfing, sailing, rowing, kayaks, paddle boards etc.

I'm finding it harder with baby 2 though, so I think some children certainly take to it more than others. Either that, or we started way too late. She is like a cat... bloody hates the water. Even a bath is an ordeal. So different from her sister. We're still standing on the steps of the pool with her.

pwurple wrote:
    I'm finding it harder with baby 2 though, so I think some children certainly take to it more than others. Either that, or we started way too late. She is like a cat... bloody hates the water. Even a bath is an ordeal. So different from her sister. We're still standing on the steps of the pool with her.

Awh wow thats some difference. ive been bringing mine since 2 mnths and both live it. A is 3 and confident with arm bands but take them off not a clue. Ive tried a few things myself but wont listen. Ill have her straight in for her lessons the minute she turns 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

can I hijack the thread with a quick question. 5 month old not hugely keen on bath so dont want to spend a fortune on a waterbabies course that she hates.

Is there a pay as you go pool in Cork to try her out that would be warm enough? Checked out cuidiu but finished for school holidays.
    Cheers

lily09 wrote: »
    can I hijack the thread with a quick question. 5 month old not hugely keen on bath so dont want to spend a fortune on a waterbabies course that she hates.

Is there a pay as you go pool in Cork to try her out that would be warm enough? Checked out cuidiu but finished for school holidays.
    Cheers

Try Churchfield pool. They have a shallow warmer baby pool, but keep to off peak times with a baby that age maybe. Just for ease of changing and finding family rooms available.

Water babies is very pricey alright. Cuidiu is the warmest one around in lavanagh center. It will be back in September, so not long.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

pwurple wrote: »
    Try Churchfield pool. They have a shallow warmer baby pool, but keep to off peak times with a baby that age maybe. Just for ease of changing and finding family rooms available.

Water babies is very pricey alright. Cuidiu is the warmest one around in lavanagh center. It will be back in September, so not long.

Thanks a million for the reply pwurple. We will definitely try that just to check her out.Had never heard of the cuidiu ones till it was mentioned here so really think that's the best bet.
    The waterbabies is so expensive could get off peak pool membership for the same price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement