Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming advice

Options
  • 29-04-2015 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've done a search on the forum but still have a few questions! My baba is 3 months old, from the HSE website it says that its ok to swim from birth but my PHN (I know, this is the second query today from me!) has said wait until he is four months old. Has anyone gone younger?

Next question: Classes!
    I'm based in Celbridge and drive so have access to the city pools too. I'm a really comfortable swimmer, would have swam competitively as a teenager. I've been looking at classes but some of them are really huge prices which I would prefer to avoid if possible. Has anyone found any reasonably priced ones?

Next Question:
    Pools! Even if I do lessons I want to go in between times. As I said I'm in celbridge and happy to travel. Does anyone have any recommendations on pools in the area/dublin that are good for babies? I have a full wetsuit for him (here) so he should be reasonably warm in the pool. I have been a member of the glenroyal before but tbh its a bit expensive just for swimming!

Final Questions:
    Ok, I get a bit self conscious myself in changing rooms (though I think a not so smooth pregnancy has knocked it out of me!). How does it work? Like at the moment its easy enough because he isn't able to roll yet but even still at some stage I need to put him down to get dressed, can't exactly walk out in my swimsuit to the car! Do you just roll him in a towel/blanket and put them on the bench? The floor in changing rooms will be wet so not really an option. Online says some places allow you to bring your carseat/buggy into the changing room but I'd be terrified it'd be robbed on me while I'm in the pool? I've read some good tips online (towelling robe for me while changing him, hotwater bottle in his towel while we're in the pool so its warm, bring a bottle etc) but I'm really worried! Not about being in the pool, that part I'm confident about but the getting in and out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Have a look at babysplash, I've done swimming with them on both of mine, the second from 11 weeks.

The pools are extra warm for babies and it's a good way to meet people. Re changing room, if you do a class you'll be in pool with other parents. I've never had an issue re changing or stuff going missing

For me I always dressed baby first after swimming, fed them and popped them in car seat, where they promptly fell asleep! Then I got changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

We started lessons 2 weeks ago at 11 weeks no issues. I was over thinking it. I bring in car seat and leave in family changing room. They have changing table. Shower off, strip baby and wrap in towel. Strip yourself so you are naked dressing baby and drip drying and not wetting baby with your swimsuit. Nappy on and dress baby. Put into carseat and quickly dress yourself. I wear loose easy to throw on clothes - trakkies and slip on shoes as she goes a bit mad waiting on me and shoot home to feed her. I aim to feed her 2 hours before the class at least especially with the reflux. Pools are heated to around 32 degrees so I don't use a wetsuit just a uv type swimsuit. Changing rooms in our local pool are heated to 29 or 30 degrees so no issue with cold when changing. I recommend bringing him into the shower and bath at home at least once before going to pool to gauge his reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Quick post so can't reply to all. Swimming is fine after 1st jabs. Couldn't recommend cheeverstown pool enough - its incredibly warm for all the rehab swimming. Changing is all fine. There's even a big physio bench you can change him on. Best thing is to bring him in in his car seat. Don't worry too much about getting too wet / showering as your hair wont be getting wet as you can't go under because of holding him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Any pool that does baby classes will be warm enough for babies. We do water babies in Liffey valley, but there's another one in the hotel in clane we looked into ( cheap enough to join the place too)

Ours recommends bringing a changing mat. They'll wriggle and roll off a bench. Other babies are still grand (at 1 yr) just being wrapped in a towel on the floor while mums dry and change but my fella just runs off. So I have to do him first. They have play pens in the clarion to contain kids :) also have family changing cubicals. No buggies allowed in there but also the rule is you have to be mostly dry in the changing room too.

Even if the pool is warm, baby will still need a good wetsuit as they won't be moving as much as you and unable to keep warm. We had the one that velcros at the crotch and shoulders.

To be honest the cost of water babies was worth every penny, I've viewed. Other classes and they just don't really compare! I met a 4 yr old who's little brother was in my sons class and she just graduated water babies 6 months ago. She's swimming with 7-8 year olds while her friends are struggling with foam boards and getting water in their eyes....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

We go to turtle tots in terenure, their advice is baby doesn't need their vaccinations to begin, they need to be either 12 weeks or 12lb whichever comes first. They are €168 per term of 10 classes. We go to a sat class where both parents can attend so my dh gets into the pool and I hand lo in though we have both attended alone on occasion and the instructor goes through how to safely get in and out of the pool with the baby. I always bring lo into the change room in the car seat. After class I lay a change mat on the bench with a towel over it to dry and dress her. I bring a fluffy baby dressing gown and just put on fresh nappy and dressing gown then put her into the car seat while I dress myself. The change room also has a travel cot set up that some of the babies play in while the mums dress. I don't worry about the car seat, though there is a shelving unit by the poolside to keep belongings if you're concerned.

To be honest, when us mums are dressing we're either chatting or looking at the babies, we're not judging each other on whose got more stretch marks than the next, we've all been through the same journey and I suppose it's an easier transition knowing the whole room is new mums rather than just going to a standard pool.

I find the classes great, even though the babies are so young there's a real onus on teaching them water safety and commands, we have set words to prepare them to be splashed, prepare for their underwater swims (we do at least 2 per class), holding on to the sidebar (even though their little hands don't always fit) and about leaning away from the edge when jumping in, all done in a fun and playful way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

We went with Waterbabies. They are quite pricey, but it was a one-off. I'm not near you, so I can't recommend pools, but the changing thing is one of those things you have to just do once, then you work it out as you go along. I found putting on my swimsuit before I left the house the easiest, because that's the awkward bit for you. It's handy to go to baby classes to start with, because everyone has loads of gear with them so nobody bats an eyelid at the car seats etc.Also you are in the exact same shape as everyone around you, makes you less self-conscious :) And some of the classes are held in rehab pools like St Michael's house so they're nice and warm.

I brought a waterproof changing mat with me and a towel. You can get neoprene ones in some shops. We have a mat we got for free at the baby fair in the RDS. I used to change her, lie her on the mat on the bench and stand right in front of her and dress at speed!! It's hard! But doable. When they're moving you're nearly better to bring in the car seat etc because you can sit them in it, or at the very least, you can sit them up on the bench and scramble into your clothes. Ours did not fall asleep until we actually got into the car. Forget about drying your hair or anything, that won't happen. You might be able to stand under the shower with the baby, but it's more to rinse them off - you won't be able to do much washing of yourself. That really has to just wait til you get home. Bring a warm bottle and feed him before leaving the pool for the car.It's an exercise in major organisation :)

A word of warning - don't get disheartened if the baby cries a lot. Ours had no problem with the water itself but big problems with the noise of the pool, the noise of the instructor and just the general environment. I persevered but some weeks I wondered why I put myself through that torture. The husband and I are both very good swimmers though, so baba will be in the water a lot in the future - so I tried not to get too uptight about her not loving it straight away. Plenty of time for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Probably a really stupid question but any tips on showering with the baby at the pool?! I'm trying to figure out how that would work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

Held her in my arms, turned on the shower, let her put hand under the water, aimed it at her feet and legs, let her try and catch the water...definitely do not switch on, walk under and expect baby to remain calm!! (unless they are used to it!!)
    We were in one of the rehab pools which was great, there was a seat in massive showering cubicles and I could unhook the shower head and hold it in my hand - meant I could sit and hold the shower and spray it on her legs/hands/feet, so she could look and get used to it, before trying to wash her and spray it on her back etc. It's a seriously slippy experience though, so it's really just giving them a quick wash off and holding on tight while you do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Probably a really stupid question but any tips on showering with the baby at the pool?! I'm trying to figure out how that would work!

Stand in the shower yourself with the baby in your arms. Turn around a bit.

If you're looking for a shampoo etc, I suggest you forget it unless you have a helper. Have proper shower at home later on. Get a decent poolhat that keeps your hair dry, and you'll be better off.

I brought both of mine from 6 weeks old, brought the carseat along and put a towel in it for lying on afterwards. Some of the places have big enough open showers that you can put baby down in the carseat and have a proper shower, but honestly, it's too much of a pain.

So, my routine was
    1)Baby wrapped in towel in carseat.
    2)Get all the dry stuff out of bag, dress baby and put baby back in dry carseat
    3) then get dressed at the speed of light yourself, because baby will be shattered and start crying/wanting food/sleep.
    4)Pack everything up and either feed baby, or hit the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

We started waterbabies when lo was 5 weeks old. Loved every minute of it. Because he couldn't roll I wrapped him in a towel and left him on a neoprine changing mat to dry while I changed (quickly!) - he was warm and drying so dressing was simple afterwards.

Now that he's a crawler I dress him first and let him work away while I get changed (am lucky in that the pool has an extra wooden floored changing area that you can use once you get the major wet dried off a bit first). So it's out of pool, quick shower with both of us under the shower, rough dry off and into the wooden floor where he crawls around until we're ready to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks everyone. Been overweight since before the pregnancy so while I loved swimming I found the getting out an ordeal once I had gained that weight (always came in the suit). All in my head! At least now I'll have an obvious distraction!

I just can't afford those prices in lump sums this month anyways so I might just do a few solo visits (or with his dad) and save up for lessons. Cheeverstown looks well suited, anyone know times that may be quieter? The website says it can be busy!

Liffey valley Would be great, is that the clarion sanovitae that has family changing areas? I was a member of Liffey valley fitness years ago which is out past the retail park but that doesn't seem to have an online presence anymore so maybe it's gone. I think a family changing room on first visit would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Hi Mirrorwall, Liffey valley fitness is still open and has family changing rooms. I saw a poster in the clondalkin leisure centre for mother and baby classes. I think it said it was Thursdaymorning. That is a lovely pool. They have loads of changing rooms including family cubicles.

Thanks everyone. Been overweight since before the pregnancy so while I loved swimming I found the getting out an ordeal once I had gained that weight (always came in the suit). All in my head! At least now I'll have an obvious distraction!

I just can't afford those prices in lump sums this month anyways so I might just do a few solo visits (or with his dad) and save up for lessons. Cheeverstown looks well suited, anyone know times that may be quieter? The website says it can be busy!

Liffey valley Would be great, is that the clarion sanovitae that has family changing areas? I was a member of Liffey valley fitness years ago which is out past the retail park but that doesn't seem to have an online presence anymore so maybe it's gone. I think a family changing room on first visit would be great

Yes it's the clarion. The lady who does Saturday classes was brilliant. My boy didn't start til 5 mths tho as the waiting list was so long. Could be shorter for mid week tho. They do 10 week blocks with 2 weeks off. So they are 12 week terms. Last class of this term is this weekend . So you'd either start next week, or in 3 months time on their schedule. They also I think will let you do a trial class just in case your baby doesn't like it. I believe their package includes a happy nappy and photo session too. Photo shoot was brill but a digital print cost 75€! In the class they have free wetsuits to use during class so no need to buy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we started at 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Might be a stupid question but I'm very confused - what does baby wear? I read online that swim nappies only hold poo and not wee so how do you stop them weeing in pool??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

You don't!

It's a swim nappy (eg huggies) with a neoprene nappy on top...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I brought my little lady few weeks ago Mirror I just carried her in, there was a family changing room so had daddy there too which was handy, I left pool showered dressed and then daddy came out showered her and went back in with our son. I changed her and fed her and we were on our way. I definitely wouldn'tt fork out for lessons just yet. See how he gets on! Little miss loved it. Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

tinkerbell wrote: »

My little one is 5 months and I bring her in the shower with me all the time, I put the shower gel on my sponge before I get in, I have the car seat outside the shower with the towel in it so I can just wrap her when we get out, and I hold her on my hip, and my shampoo and conditioner are pump bottles so one handed is how I do it.. She loves it too, she's the youngest of 5 so I've plenty of experience, when they can't sit by themselves it gets easier and I also never had an issue with any of them being afraid of water on their faces!

You can also get water proof slings too if your worried about dropping her. Think they are about 20 euro and very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Hi everyone, I thought I would muck in on this thread. We've never brought ours to the pool until this weekend.

We brought our 6 month old to the national aquatic center aquazone pool for the first time at the weekend. I'm a competitive swimmer so very comfortable in the water but my fiancé is terrified of it.

We took the little one got her changed in the family changing rooms where there are tables and chairs to put the kids on and strap them down if need be, which was great. We dressed her in a simple babies swim suit ( Google image, something like this: http://foodfamilyfinds.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/baby-girl-watermelon-swimsuit.jpg) with an Aldi swim nappy which done the job nicely.

Went into the babies pool and she was a bit concerned at the start but eventually got the swing of it, the water was shallow and warm and was fine. We then took her into the big pool which was cooler but still she didn't complain and around the lazy river. I done some splashing about with her and holding her in different positions, on her front, back etc (which I learned from watching youtube videos) and she was fine with it all, she was enjoying it as much as she could.

The problem came when I put her under the water and boy, she did not like that one bit. I prepared her for it and right before it was time I blew into her face to make her hold her breath (just incase) and put her under for a second, she came back up screaming. Eventually calmed her down but I think she was afraid I was going to do it again so we called it a day.

Lasted about 25 minutes so wasn't bad for our first go.

• Advertisement

I think blowing in her face was a bad idea lol! Probably startled her and then dunking her may have scared her. In our swim classes we use ques to let the child know they'll be getting their face wet. We say 'Name, ready, go' . We use it at home too in the bath etc . Sometimes our fella drinks some water but he doesn't mind. Just coughs it out and then we give him a break. Think they told us too not to have baby in the water for longer than 30 min at a go? But can't remember exactly.

NAQ always looks great. What temp was the air around the pool/ in the changing room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, I can't remember when that breath holding reflex from infancy stops, might be younger than 6 months.

We always do the underwater bit from the edge of the pool, like they are jumping in. 1-2-3 jump, and when they land they go under for a second.

If you are bringing the baby into an ordinary pool, try something like a baby wetsuit. They cool down very quickly in the colder water. Much faster than you.

We go to the cuidiu swimming sessions in Cork, the pool is lovely and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

@slinky. Sounds like you were rushing through all the various stages to get them into one session, i.e. you did the right things, but a bit too quickly.
    I took quite a few sessions getting my little girl comfortable in the water, then progressed to putting her chin / mouth in the water, took quite a while to putting her completely underwater.
    I didn't bring her to classes though, so may well have progressed too slowly for some, but she loves the water and is very happy in it now.

Yea maybe I did, looking back at it. I'll try to get in again this weekend with her and try a bit slower.

NAQ always looks great. What temp was the air around the pool/ in the changing room?

the family changing rooms were lovely and warm, I was sweating getting dressed but the little one was very comfortable lying on the changing table just in a towel.

The pool water changed from area to area, the kiddies pirate ship was lovely and warm, the big pool where the wave machine was was alot cooler but not uncomfortable and the lazy river wasn't bad, somewhere in between.

Overall it was fine and I never found the little one cold at any stage in about 20 minutes.

Did my first lesson today. Thanks everyone for the advice, felt very well prepared! Brought in the car seat and had his towel wrapped in a hot water bottle. He handled the shower fine and then snuggled in a big towel in his car seat while I speed changed before dressing him and giving him a bottle. He was asleep before we got to the car. All went well and he enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You might be better drying and dressing the baby before yourself and that way they'll never feel a chill. What feels like only a few minutes to adult could be a lot longer to a baby when they're wet, even if they have a water bottle. And the pro is that you can take your time getting sorted when they're in the car seat with a bottle or just noseying around.

For those using the NAC I always find the best thing to do is go straight into the big walk in driers. You can get the kids dried and changed in the warmth, they'll enjoy it and you'll be pretty much dry yourself anyway once they're sorted.

Be prepared though for strangers jumping in with you not realising you put money in to switch it on. I don't mind kids jumping in but when adults try it I'm like ah here, what are you up to.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You might be better drying and dressing the baby before yourself and that way they'll never feel a chill. What feels like only a few minutes to adult could be a lot longer to a baby when they're wet, even if they have a water bottle. And the pro is that you can take your time getting sorted when they're in the car seat with a bottle or just noseying around.

For those using the NAC I always find the best thing to do is go straight into the big walk in driers. You can get the kids dried and changed in the warmth, they'll enjoy it and you'll be pretty much dry yourself anyway once they're sorted.

Be prepared though for strangers jumping in with you not realising you put money in to switch it on. I don't mind kids jumping in but when adults try it I'm like ah here, what are you up to.

Oh don't worry he was practically dry in a dry warm towel, I towelled him off before wrapping him in the big dry one (I brought three towels). He was not in anyways cold as I dressed him

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Did my first lesson today. Thanks everyone for the advice, felt very well prepared! Brought in the car seat and had his towel wrapped in a hot water bottle. He handled the shower fine and then snuggled in a big towel in his car seat while I speed changed before dressing him and giving him a bottle. He was asleep before we got to the car. All went well and he enjoyed it!

Which pool did you end up going to? Want to start bringing our son, he was in the pool on holidays and adored it, so looking to start properly now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Apologies for the probably stupid questions.
    We are bringing our 18 month old swimming for the first time to cheeverstown.
    Do I buy arm bands for him? Also does he wear crocs walking out to pool? Where do you buy baby swimming hats?
    Thanks

Advertisement