Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Strength

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

But if you've a proper programme, that's better...its read as if your workouts are a bit ad hoc and concentrated around bench press, that's all.

The muscle would still be covered by fat though.

Sorry if it came across that way. Nah I have a program written by a pt but just couldn't understand why I struggles on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sets, reps?

Week on week progression?

Oh...and how come your quoting is all split up?

Sorry I was using my phone don't know what was going on there.

For each exercise I'm doing 3 sets of 10 reps.

And for each exercise I calculated my 1 max rpm and I then started the above at 40% and gradually increasing it every week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Sorry I was using my phone don't know what was going on there.

For each exercise I'm doing 3 sets of 10 reps.

And for each exercise I calculated my 1 max rpm and I then started the above at 40% and gradually increasing it every week.

40% is way too low. Where'd you get the program?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thepoet85 wrote: »

For bench press did you calculate your 1RM as 75kg, and then start at 30kg (40% of 75kg)
    Or did you calculate it as Bar+25kg, and start it at Bar+10kg (40% of 25kg)

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    For bench press did you calculate your 1RM as 75kg, and then start at 30kg (40% of 75kg) Or did you calculate it as Bar+25kg, and start it at Bar+10kg (40% of 25kg)

The bench wasn't part of the program. I started benching of my own accord in addition to the rest of my chest exercises.

I think I'll take the advice of you folks and focus more on the basics and forget about the bench for now.

What would be an acceptable % of my max 1rpm to start at?

Thanks again for all the feedback folks

Brian? wrote:
    40% is way too low. Where'd you get the program?

It's one that a trainee pt I know did for me. Probably a bit out dated

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Did he/she ask you what you wanted from the program before putting it together?

The blanket programming of 3x10...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Did he/she ask you what you wanted from the program before putting it together?

The blanket programming of 3x10...
    which is the same blanket program most people seem to follow from what i see posted on boards.ie

chest day, legs day, arms day etc - thats not a program thats just a list of exercises that might have zero relevance if there is no consideration of mobility limitations, nutrition, lifestyle factors (sleep, stress) etc

many trainers are such lazy feckers IMO

Advertisement