Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newb triathlon question re swim times

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Oryx wrote: »
    Open water is so different you need to have practised it. As with the post above, you have no points of reference underwater, the cold will be a shock and probably affect your breathing, youll have moving water and chop, other people will hit you and disorient you. And if it is your first race youll already be nervous on top of that. So rest assured that your pool times will have absolutely no bearing on how this swim goes for you. :) But dont worry about it either. Almost everyone has a pretty poor ow swim first time racing as it is all so new and different. Just get it done and learn from it.

This is so true. Did my first sprint tri this weekend in Schull. I am a competent swimmer and do 1-2k pool swim most mornings. Did one half attempt at open water practice last week and thought I would be grand 😄.

Got into the sea and had a disaster. Was freezing - body went into panic mode - had a manic swim breathing every two strokes , switching to breaststroke , tried to avoid the crowd so then went off course, was disorientated getting out of the water and wherei initially thought I would be fine getting out for the cycle - turned out I was exhausted - so cannot emphasise enough the need to get in and practice in the sea.

In saying all that I was surprised to see I did 14 minute swim so cannot wait to get some practice in and do it all again - well and truelly bitten by the bug 😀

Advertisement