Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newb triathlon question re swim times

Options
  • 29-04-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Quick question. I'm doing my first Triathlon, the Sprint at TriAthy end of May.

I swim in the pool regularly, a mile once a week, however, I've never put a wetsuit on and swam in a river.

How do pool times compare to triathlon times? It's 250 up stream then 500 down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

one for the dark side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Will depend on the flow in the river. For your first tri though I wouldn't worry about times, just get through it and you will have a better idea on your second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

engol wrote: »
    I've never put a wetsuit on and swam

I think the above will be a bigger issue than relative speed in your first event. Try and get any sort of an OW swim in before hand and then in the race start at the back!

Some people (eg me) are much quicker with a suit than without but I know of others where the difference isnt so big. From my limited experience I would say the better the swimmer the less the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dark cold water
    People around you
    Getting slapped
    Getting kicked

If you haven't practised Open Water swimming you will panic.

Practice and all will be fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    Dark cold water
    People around you
    Getting slapped
    Getting kicked

I'll add sighting. suddenly finding yourself swimming towards shore cause you've no lines on the bottom to guide you

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    I'll add sighting. suddenly finding yourself swimming towards shore cause you've no lines on the bottom to guide you

Not in Athy. River bank to rope and back again is the worst that could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Actually the thing that puts me off river or lake swims is the water being drinkable. Something about the taste and it not being salt (sea) or chlorinated makes me feel at odds.

Weird, sorry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Not in Athy. River bank to rope and back again is the worst that could happen

seen it happen. and said person wasn't letting the rope stop them either. was determined to swim through it

actually, pretty sure it was Varadkars wave. lets just assume it was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Dark cold water
    People around you
    Getting slapped
    Getting kicked

Or you might be grand. While practising is obviously better than not, it's not that bad. Practise sighting in the pool; do drills that'll help you prepare and get in the open water if you can.

My first open water swim was about 20 minutes before my first tri. It was grand. My open water swim times have always been directly comparable to my pool times.

RJM85 wrote: »
    Or you might be grand. While practising is obviously better than not, it's not that bad. Practise sighting in the pool; do drills that'll help you prepare and get in the open water if you can.

My first open water swim was about 20 minutes before my first tri. It was grand. My open water swim times have always been directly comparable to my pool times.

Sure why bother training at all.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Open water is so different you need to have practised it. As with the post above, you have no points of reference underwater, the cold will be a shock and probably affect your breathing, youll have moving water and chop, other people will hit you and disorient you. And if it is your first race youll already be nervous on top of that. So rest assured that your pool times will have absolutely no bearing on how this swim goes for you. :) But dont worry about it either. Almost everyone has a pretty poor ow swim first time racing as it is all so new and different. Just get it done and learn from it.

Sure why bother training at all.

That's not what I said. Open water practise is better than none. Lots of pool practise is better than the odd open water swim.

The water should always be respected, but there's no need to over egg how terrifying the open water is either though. In my sample of one I've done ok without managing training swims in the open water. Obviously, as I said, practise would be better. But I don't manage it, and I've gotten on grand so far.

RJM85 wrote: »
    That's not what I said. Open water practise is better than none. Lots of pool practise is better than the odd open water swim.

The water should always be respected, but there's no need to over egg how terrifying the open water is either though. In my sample of one I've done ok without managing training swims in the open water. Obviously, as I said, practise would be better. But I don't manage it, and I've gotten on grand so far.

What was your first race?

What was your first race?

Open water - DCT

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Thanks all for the guidance.

I'm heading to the Netherlands next week and will be staying by a lake so I'm hoping to take the wetsuit for a few goes. I've swam in this lake before, just never in a wet suit / head under the water kind of way.

I'm also signed up for the SwimAthy the week before the tri so hoping that will take the edge off on the day.

The reason I was asking about times was just to get an idea of what my expectations can be on the day and try to keep it realistic. I'm new to running (fist run on Christmas Day) so this is my first opportunity to try a tri. I'd like to do a reasonable effort.

I tried a tri this morning, swam 750 in the pool, followed by a 20k cycle and a 5k run (I'm exhausted :-) ) and I was very happy to complete the 5k with a time of 27.30. Considering the cycle was in to the fresh westerly wind I thought I did brilliantly. So that will give you an idea of my great expectations. I'm not looking to win, or even get to the middle of my group, just not making a show of myself will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Best of luck with it, the swimathy is a good idea for you. great to see your enthusiasm for giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Don't worry about trying to cmpare to pool times, it's fruitless until yuo are more experienced. Even though the swim is listed as 750m you will probably swim at least 900m, maybe more, due to orientation issues in the middle of a large group of people, which will through your time way off.

Against that however the current will largely assist you in the Barrow and if you orient well then you should find yourself completing the swim faster than you would normally swim the same distance in the pool.

In Athy you can put your foot down almost anywhere unless the level is really high with extra rainfall in the weeks prior, so don't sweat it. But I can tell you it's going to be colder this year than last year so be prepared for the temperature with a well fitting suit and possibly invest in a neoprene swim cap to keep your head out of the worst of it - can be very disorientating when your ears fill up with ice cold water and you can be dizzy exiting the water.

Other than that, have a brilliant time - it's a nice race with a nice festival atmosphere and you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

When swimming against the current swim close to the bank as the water flows slower here - although too close and you'll get caught up in the reeds, as that will cause a panic attack :) When swimming downstream get into the centre of the river where the current flows faster. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

its so easy a few helpful posts and the op ( who seems really to do well and gets the work in for his race ) gets something out of it.

good luck to you and the 2 last posts before me i think are v good.

peter kern wrote: »
    its so easy a few helpful posts and the op ( who seems really to do well and gets the work in for his race ) gets something out of it.

good luck to you and the 2 last posts before me i think are v good.

Her race ;)

Couple of very useful posts there alright. I'm going to order a neoprene swim cap right now. I had a head injury a couple of years back that resulted in positional vertigo so I don't do dizzy very well! Another thing to keep an eye out for. Really appreciate the tips for the swim - very useful!

One other quick question, I considered vaseline for the face to offer some protection against the cold? any point? It was suggested to use it for lubrication anyway so I figured it might help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

As above left on the way up centre on the way down be prepared to get squeezed at the turn you will get punched kicked and ducked here if possible find a gap and give it all you have to turn you can recover on the way down.

Aim for the left most gap in the bridge the ramp out is just passed this point. It's a relatively easy swim depending on rainfall the week previous the current won't be to bad. If panic sets in move toward the bank and stand up it's pretty shallow in parts.

Good luck tri athy was my first tri. Nice swim. Closed roads for the bike the crap run route let's it down but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Chicken curry and a non alcohol beer to look forward to after. :)

Her race ;)
    One other quick question, I considered vaseline for the face to offer some protection against the cold? any point? It was suggested to use it for lubrication anyway so I figured it might help?

It's not that cold you won't notice it once you get over the initial shock and get going. Unless you really feel the cold I'd pass on the neoprene cap also.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    As above left on the way up centre on the way down be prepared to get squeezed at the turn you will get punched kicked and ducked here if possible find a gap and give it all you have to turn you can recover on the way down.

Aim for the left most gap in the bridge the ramp out is just passed this point. It's a relatively easy swim depending on rainfall the week previous the current won't be to bad. If panic sets in move toward the bank and stand up it's pretty shallow in parts.

Good luck tri athy was my first tri. Nice swim. Closed roads for the bike the crap run route let's it down but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Chicken curry and a non alcohol beer to look forward to after. :)

Thanks again! Chicken curry and non alcoholic beer! Wow! I can't wait now! :)

My cycling is probably crap. I cycle to and from work when I can (I work shift though so can't all year round) but I don't have a racing bike. Still, I'm looking forward to cycling on a road without having to stop for traffic!

What's "crap" about the run route? I wear xero shoes to run so am hoping for a nice surface. I don't mind hills if they are short, I much prefer a short sharp hill than a long incline! But I'm supposing the route is fairly flat so you'll have to tell me what's crap about the run route now.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Re the "cold water dizzy"
    I get it very bad. Like 2 mins holding into something before I can walk straight.
    Freaked me out,2-3 ow swims later wore ear plugs it was cured it totally.
    A bit of ow practice solved something that would have ruined my race.
    So maybe try that if it happens.

I loved Athy last time I did it. Can't wait for another crack at it.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

The run route is very narrow in places and can get very congested. It's also very rough underfoot in parts. I'm not a big fan of this race but I've still done it a couple of times and it's a great beginner race.

What's "crap" about the run route? I wear xero shoes to run so am hoping for a nice surface. I don't mind hills if they are short, I much prefer a short sharp hill than a long incline! But I'm supposing the route is fairly flat so you'll have to tell me what's crap about the run route now.

I'm probably being a bit harsh as I wouldn't be a fan of running in ideal circumstances but to brief description would be.

Run from t2 out through a bit of a barren field. Then up the only incline bit of a drag for 1km or so maybe a bit less along footpath/hard shoulder. Turn right down towards the river bank this is where the crap bit kicks in if it's raining watch your footing on the tree roots as you turn on to the tow path. Then it's out the way about 1.5km along a tow path to a turn point. Tow path is uneven usually with grass a few inches long if you're off centre. The centre is where everyone wants to be so there's a bit of dodging involved. The last 1km is grand though nice flat wide tow path with well compacted ground underfoot. It's not the worst to be fair. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I didn't like the run route either, however I did win most of the game of chicken running in the middle.

They have announced that there is a new run route this year, 5km laps for double and olympic. Route maps will be published next week. I would be tempted now but entry €68 plus tshirt optional, ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

AKW wrote: »
    Actually the thing that puts me off river or lake swims is the water being drinkable. Something about the taste and it not being salt (sea) or chlorinated makes me feel at odds.

Weird, sorry.

ha ha .. tastes like pennies

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

griffin100 wrote: »
    When swimming against the current swim close to the bank as the water flows slower here - although too close and you'll get caught up in the reeds, as that will cause a panic attack :) When swimming downstream get into the centre of the river where the current flows faster. Best of luck.

Good advice!.. Will remember that myself

• Advertisement

I'm back!

Tried an open water swim when away in the Netherlands. It was different but I managed it and next week will do the swimAthy to get me started.

I'm signed up for the 250 by accident. Tried to sign up for the 750 but clearly did something wrong and can't get in touch with anyone to switch. Anyone here any advice on that?

Also - todays goal was supposed to be to find myself a decent enough watch. Would like built in hrm, gps and cadence tracker (preferably a metronome as I've come to like my little ticking buddy) and would really like it to work for the swim. I was looking at the garmin 920xt but it doesn't have built in hrm (despite the price tag!). Anyone got somewhere they can direct me on this?

Cheers!

Advertisement