Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To A Merchant Navy Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭I'm A Merchant Navy Officer AMA

sullivlo wrote: »
    Fascinating AMA. I used to work in shipping so found some of your answers incredible.

Do you have a licence to bring the ship into dublin or do you need a pilot? Has a pilot ever been stuck on your ship and had to stay until the next port? Happened us a few times during bad weather.

No. On my vessels we go all a round the world so most of the ports I go to would be new or a long time since I've been there. Ferrys going to the same ports continuously will have captains with a pilot exemption certificate. You need to pass a practical exam by bringing your vessel alongside with a pilot onboard and if you pass you are allowed to enter without a pilot. I think you need to have three arrivals and departures from that port a year to keep it valid.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm going to guess the answer to the Dublin Port question - I always thought that only the ferries could bring their own ships into Dublin, everyone else needs a pilot.

Do you operate regular routes (and does that include Dublin?), or can you wind up zigzagging all around the place depending on the contract?

No I go all around the world but lately I've been sailing around the Americas.

bjork wrote: »
    Would you go on a cruise on your holidays?

Is there a washing machine on the boat?

Haha. No! Being on a ship has a very rigid schedule and routine. When I'm on my leave I like the freedom to do whatever I want. I think it would be like a bus driver going on a coach holiday.

Yes we have washing machines, dryers and a drying room.

Who actually physically drives/helms the ship? I'm assuming moving and manoeuvering something that size takes quite a bit of training and skill - is there a core crew of "drivers"? Is it all computer/joystick driven these days?

Are all the ships you can find yourself on much of a muchness in terms of basically operating them? Or do you need to be trained up on certain classes of ships to be able to work them?

We leave her in autopilot at sea and then a rating called an able seaman will take her into hand steering while we're in heavy traffic, fog or entering port. The three AB's will steer fo four hours each so 0800-1200 2000-2400 etc. Steering is actually very easy. When were berthing we will usually take two tugs to help us manouver because at low speeds she stops responding to rudder movements. Ferrys and offshore vessels have joysticks and computers but most vessels still have one propeller, wheel and telegraph to give engine orders.

Most traditional ships you see are all the same really. The cargo operations would be the biggest difference Eg bulk carrier vs a tanker. Offshore Vessels involved with the rigs have a system called dynamic positioning which requires special training. The licence you get from the college allows you to be an officer on any ship in the world.

And when the autohelm packs up? (as they all inevitably do some time!)

There pretty reliable in fairness to them. But if they did pack in the AB's would steer and the officer on watch would give the helm orders Eg port 10 degrees or course to steer.

• Advertisement

When you retire have you any plans to run off with Sea Shepherd and live out your days as the old man and the sea?

Do you have a suite like Captain Watson or just a regular bunk?

No I'd hope to be working ashore along time before retirement.

Cabin is nice enough. Big double bed, TV,desk and ensuite.

What's your usual "cruising speed"? Is it weather/sea state dependent?

And if you (metaphorically, obviously) slam on the brakes, how long does it take to stop?

13 knots. Sea state has a huge effect. With a strong wind a large swell against us we might only do a few knots. Normally we'll slow down our self's to avoid slamming the ship into waves and damaging her.

To stop her would take a few miles. So you could be waiting ten minutes or so.

Jammyc wrote: »
    I've always found the shipping forecast comforting for some reason.

Fantastic AMA, thanks for all your insight OP!

I've read that the shipping forecast is entirely defunct but still stands as tradition. Are there any other traditions at sea that serve no purpose but still happen with every journey?

Shipping moves slower than snails pace. It usually has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. We still have to have a sextant, learn how to send morse and carry a chronometer onboard. A chronometer was vital before GPS when keeping time was difficult but is really no longer needed. Morse has been outdated since before most of us were born. The only person who uses the sextant is the cadet trying to learn the skill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What are you opinions of the Sea Shepard and Greenpeace with the way they intervene/interfere with commercial shipping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Great AMA OP I love ships when docking the ship can this be done via on board computer like an auto pilot or does it have been done manually? Have any of your ships been hit by a rouge wave and if so what size?

• Advertisement

Is the poop deck really what I think it is?[/QUOTE

[laughing] I like the cut of your jib.

What's a jib?

Promote that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

What are the eyesight requirements like? My nephew has perfect sight in one eye and 50% or so in the other, would he be able to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Have you travelled through any of the major canals (Panama/Suez)? The way that they can squeeze some of the biggest ships through the Panama Canal is crazy, it's a wonder they don't crash into the sides of the locks...

(Great AMA by the way)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What are you opinions of the Sea Shepard and Greenpeace with the way they intervene/interfere with commercial shipping?

Honestly I think they're idiots. They run a cowboy operation and should have been arrested years ago. It would be like if we decided we didn't like trucks on our roads and decided to park our cars on the motorway to stop them or worse ram them. Protest by all means but do it peacefully or you will be seen as a joke to the industry. Shipping moves 90% of the world's goods. If they can suggest a practical and more environmentally friendly way of transporting goods around the world be my guest.

Great AMA OP I love ships when docking the ship can this be done via on board computer like an auto pilot or does it have been done manually? Have any of your ships been hit by a rouge wave and if so what size?

My ships no. It's still very traditional, a wheel, a propeller, two tugs and maybe a bow thruster if fitted. Offshore Vessels can dock by computers and thrusters but it is bad practise to do so. All berthing manouvers should be done by the hand and skill of whoevers in charge.

Nope I've never been hit by a rogue wave but I have heard stories of it happening.

Is the poop deck really what I think it is?[/QUOTE

[laughing] I like the cut of your jib.

What's a jib?

Promote that man.

A jib is a sail. By the position of the jib you control which way you can go when powered by the wind. It's from the days when sail ruled the seas. Basically your saying I like the way your heading or I like your style.

Full Marx wrote: »
    What are the eyesight requirements like? My nephew has perfect sight in one eye and 50% or so in the other, would he be able to join?

There are allowances. You can wear glasses but I'm not sure if 50% would be acceptable. The engineers requirements are less strict if he didn't pass the deck requirements. If you Google eyesight standards for seafarers you'll get plenty of links with the exact standards required. Before going to sea you have to pass a medical that is valid for two years So a certain level of fitness and good health is required.

dulpit wrote: »
    Have you travelled through any of the major canals (Panama/Suez)? The way that they can squeeze some of the biggest ships through the Panama Canal is crazy, it's a wonder they don't crash into the sides of the locks...

(Great AMA by the way)

Yes I've been through both. I don't really like going through them because it takes hours and everyone has to be awake for the transit. I've been to the Panama Canal loads of times . Most of the canal is actual lake and dredged river so isn't that narrow. It's only the actual locks that are narrow. As you approach the locks you send lines (ropes) to locomotives. There are two on each side of the vessel for'd and aft. Once they're attached they help to control your speed and keep you from hitting the canal walls. The new extension to the canal will not have locomotives and will rely on tugs instead. I'm not sure how successful this will be but time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Is scrubbing the deck with a tooth brush a thing given as punishment?

Do modern decks need to be scrubbed?

Is scrubbing the deck with a tooth brush a thing given as punishment?

Do modern decks need to be scrubbed?

Haha no not with a toothbrush. Before arrival in port we wash down the deck with mops and fire hoses. The ship should be clean and respectable looking when in port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Really fascinating AMA thread, I've just binge read the entire thing!

I know you said earlier that non crew members can't get passage on cargo ships since 9/11 but was just wondering if you're ever allowed to bring family members with you?

Do you think you will miss going to see when you eventually decide to get a job at home?

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Really fascinating AMA thread, I've just binge read the entire thing!

I know you said earlier that non crew members can't get passage on cargo ships since 9/11 but was just wondering if you're ever allowed to bring family members with you?

Do you think you will miss going to see when you eventually decide to get a job at home?

Yes you can. It would not be uncommon for the senior officer's to have their wives onboard. All you have to pay is for her flights but food would be borne by the company. Kids can come aswell but I think this is a little frowned upon these days. If I was captain or chief engineer I'd consider bringing my partner onboard. Especially if it was a route I was familiar with and knew the ports were worth visiting and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

I'd be interested in working on a ship. possibly cruise ship. i do security at the moment. Would it be possible to get a job on a cruiser ship or where would you recommend me to look.

I know you don't work on cruises but sure god loves a chancer. :)

Have you ever had a near mis with other ships rocks or a sandbank?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What are the manning levels like now a days,years ago we had 30 to 35 crew on 30,000 ton bulkers.(all named after trees)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Are pirates real?

I'd be interested in working on a ship. possibly cruise ship. i do security at the moment. Would it be possible to get a job on a cruiser ship or where would you recommend me to look.

I know you don't work on cruises but sure god loves a chancer. :)

I'd say it should be. You could probably get work in ferries close to home aswell. I'd just go to all the biggest cruise companys websites and check out the career sections. All info will be there.

Have you ever had a near mis with other ships rocks or a sandbank?

In Asia fishing boats have a habit of turning off their lights at night. You'll be going along fine when suddenly a light appears just a few hundred meters dead ahead. Our ships don't manouver too fast so it can be quite close sometimes. I really hate when they do this, I don't think they know how hard it is for us to avoid them with so little time.

mp22 wrote: »
    What are the manning levels like now a days,years ago we had 30 to 35 crew on 30,000 ton bulkers.(all named after trees)

On vessels of that size the Manning is down to 20 odd. Less crew but more paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Great AMA, best yet by a country mile

2 questions for ya

1. What is the strangest/weirdest thing you've encountered at sea? Like sometimes pilots report seeing UFO's, anything you've come across that you can't explain?

2. Sure you've tasted many different cuisines at ports around the world, with that i'd like to know your favourite type of cheese

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement