Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Strike (read warning in post #1)

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

MOH wrote: »
    Oh, I see now. My confusion obviously stemmed from the number of posts I've read explaining how the massive disruption everyone's faced was better for us all in the long run, because the short term pain of the strike would be nothing compared to the eternal chaos that would ensue if tendering took place.

But in fact as far as tendering goes, we could have skipped the strike and just gone with this high court action? And the strike which ruined everyone's bank holiday was all about something which might never happen?

Do I have it now?

Its quite obvious the unions are playing games with the public and drivers. I said before and after the strike that as soon as they get the chance to compromise they would. Its was all about show-man ship. And the foolish drivers went along like lambs. The unions know the game is up and are trying to put on a show. BE DB will be privatize I have no doubt about that. Average drivers wage with BE is €1000 per week. They know what's coming their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

reggaeman wrote: »
    Its quite obvious the unions are playing games with the public and drivers. I said before and after the strike that as soon as they get the chance to compromise they would. Its was all about show-man ship. And the foolish drivers went along like lambs. The unions know the game is up and are trying to put on a show. BE DB will be privatize I have no doubt about that. Average drivers wage with BE is €1000 per week. They know what's coming their way.
    oh i'm sure it will be privatized, but i believe political motivation will be the reason and nothing to do with our benefit, considering the government have done all sorts against our wishes

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

No just pointing out that the excuses used to justify the first strike was pure BS. The reasons given blathered about how drivers were selflessly trying to ensure that quality service was maintained and that fares didnt increase
    and other bull about how the first strike was for the greater good. Yet now after they get their own security and benefits they suddenly forget the "greater good". Their motives was never for the public benefit, only themselves. If the ****e they were using to justify the first strike was true then yes technically they should still be on strike tomoro. For all their harping about benefits and quality for the public the factor that mattered most was their own pockets and **** the public. I'm not complaining per se just laughing at sheer hypocrisy is all. The public were never in the drivers interests despite their claims.
    So, even if politically it is a bad move and wouldn't achieve the end goal of stopping privatization/tendering, they should still be on strike regardless, just out of a matter of principle - that's what you're saying then?

I don't know if that is or is not politically possible - to stop tendering in that way - but just because they are standing up for their own conditions as workers, doesn't mean they are not also standing against tendering/privatization; it's perfectly possible for them to capitulate short of stopping tendering, to retain their working conditions, while still opposing it - if it's not politically possible for them to stop it, then that's all they can do, and it's still putting up a fight against it as it will give government pause before seeking further privatization in the future.

The only hypocrisy I see, is blasting the unions for not continuing a strike for even longer, when you are against it in the first place, and when you know it likely wouldn't have made a difference to this round of tendering - that's just opportunistic hypocrisy, for blasting the unions and workers no matter what they do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement