Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punchestown

Options
  • 27-04-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I haven't been around in a while but couldn't believe there was no thread dedicated to punchestown which looks to be the best one on the cards for superstars in a number of years!

Open handicap tomorrow
    Rupert lamb
    Sizing codelco

Nothing to back outside of that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Ends will win first nothing else in race queue up at 10 am to get in 11/10 ain't going to last and Elliot's in the Goff's race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I'm a fan of Western Boy in the 4.55 tomorrow, think he has shown(and hopefully retains) that bit of class in the past but obviously things haven't worked out for him this season.
    Made a bad mistake in his handicap debut last time out 4 or 5 fences into the race, and Crowe did well to sit tight, so I'm willing to give him a pass on that one.
    Otherwise he hasn't run appallingly since reverting back to hurdles.

Has some really nice back form and I feel he has got to be to close to getting competitive off this mark of 138.

If he can find some of that spark that saw him run some really nice races last year, I'd like to think he'll be involved and at 33s I'm more than willing to have a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi Guys,

A friend and myself are doing previews for each day of Punchestown

Here's todays:
    Punchestown Day 1
    By Peter Cahill & Dan Reidy

3:40:

First race of the Punchestown festival is a poor race. It’s a cross country hunters chase. Enda Bolger has won this race eight times since 1997, and has been particularly strong in recent years, landing four of the last five. This looks a relatively weak renewal and his Wish Ye Didn’t should take a lot of beating with Nina Carberry in the saddle for the first time. Wish Ye Didn’t isn’t much value at 1/1 though. I’d take a chance on Boxer Georg each way at 16/1. He’s been placed over these banks a few times. Now a 13 year old but this is a very bad race and wouldn’t take much winning.

Selection: Wish Ye Didn’t 1/1 Win & Boxer Georg 16/1 Each Way

4:20:

Faugheen romped home in this race 12 months ago and an similar performance is expected from stablemate Douvan. On paper DOUVAN wins it - but it isn't run on the paper. While priced @ ⅕ , this price makes no allowance for an off day or even a jumping mistake. My only pick of the others that may trouble Douvan is Sizing John. The advice here would be a small stakes win on Sizing John or else No Bet on this race.

Selection: Sizing John @ 9/2

4:55:

This is a wide open handicap hurdle. J P McManus has 4 horses in the race and they all have a good chance. The most fancied of the quartet is the Charles O'Brien trained Henry Higgins. He’s a talented novice hurdler who is now having his first run in a handicap. He was 3rd to Douvan and 3rd to Phils Magic on his last two runs. Get’s in here off a nice weight. He should take a lot of beating but there are also other well handicapped horses in here.

Others of interest include Morga, Pivot Bridge and Viconte Du Noyer. Morga ran an eye catching race at the Fairyhouse Festival and he is still unexposed. Pivot bridge has shown a liking for this track in the past. He came 2nd in a handicap hurdle at last years festival. He won a race on the flat recently too so he should have race fitness on his side. Viconte Du Noyer is the dark horse in the race. He’s been running over fences all season and now reverts to hurdles. He ran some good races behind Vautour and Gilgamboa this season. If he can transfer that form to hurdles he could surprise a few.

Selection: Henry Higgins 8/1 Each Way & Viconte Du Noyer 20/1 Each Way

5:30:

Sizing Europe was a very popular winner of this event 12 months ago but he looks up against it now, with his last couple of starts ending in heavy defeats. Champagne Fever blew him away in the Clonmel Oil Chase in November and the Mullins/Walsh representative warrants plenty of respect as he looks to bounce back from a disappointing Aintree effort.My preference for this race is Hidden Cyclone. Shark Hanlon's stable star took a heavy fall in this race last year but a number of solid performances this season shows that hasn't dented his confidence one bit. He impressively won a Grade 2 contest over C&D before a fair sixth in the Ryanair Chase at Cheltenham, and another bold bid is anticipated with first-time blinkers applied.

Selection: Hidden Cyclone @ 7/2 & Flemenstar e/w @ 12/1
    6:05

This is the Goffs Land Rover Bumper. Not much form to go on here as most are unraced. You have to go on breeding and the connections involved. Of the ones that have run, Art of Synergy who is out of Yeats looks the best of them. Ran a very eye catching race when 3rd at Navan on heavy ground. Better ground here could see him come on again but there most likely will be something better in here that’s unraced. Petit Mouchair won a pt to pt and was bought by gigginstown for a large fee is the favourite for this race. The experience should put him in good stead but the fact that he is hooded so early in his career is off putting.

The unraced St Stephens Green is the only runner from champion trainer Willie Mullins, he has a decent record in this race. He is well bred and is sure to have his followers but 7/2 is too short to be taking a chance on a horse that has never run before. The unraced Set In My Ways is very well bred and is related to several winners. Also has shrewd connections in Jonjo O'Neill and J P McManus. 8/1 looks a decent price too. Noel Meade always keeps a good horse for this race every year. His Red Giant doesn’t look much on breeding but I wouldn’t rule out a big showing. Of the others the well named Twinkletoes stands out. Out of my favourite horse Daylami. He has a lot of stamina in his breeding. That’s a good thing in regards to this race as Flat Bred horses don’t so so well and Punchestown is a stiff track.

Selection: Set In My Ways 8/1 Each Way & Twinkletoes 14/1 Each Way

6:40:

DON POLI belongs to Gigginstown so Bryan Cooper gets the ride on the very impressive RSA Chase winner. A likely contender for next year's Gold Cup, he won with so much authority at Cheltenham that it will be a shock if he's beaten though Apache Stronghold gave him a race in the Grade 1 Topaz at Leopardstown in December. The way he toyed with his rivals in the RSA Chase (Wounded Warrior third) was outstanding and he has reportedly thrived since. He can beat off fierce rivals Apache Stronghold and Valseur Lido, who have been competing against each other all season long and look very closely matched. The wheels did fall off slightly for them at Fairyhouse last time, however. I’m having a small win bet on Apache Stronghold in this one. For all Don Poli impressed hugely at Aintree. Apache Stronghold missed Aintree for this race and freshness may help him reverse those placings here.

Selection: Apache Stronghold @ 6/1

7:15:

The second bumper on the card. Another tricky race with a lot of unraced horses. Tipped up a Jonjo O'Neill/J P McManus horse in the other bumper on the card and he could very well take this race too with Startinfromscratch. He really takes the eye on breeding. Out of the 4 time Ascot Gold Cup winner Yeats. This horse is closely related to the Champion Hurdle winner Rock on Ruby. 9/2 is not a great price on a horse who has never run before but he really could take some beating. Of the horses that have run Camlann and Couer Joyeux have shown good form. Camlann was highly touted before he ran at Cheltenham. He travelled through the race but just didn’t get up the hill. Finished 6th in the end. That run under his belt will help him and could pose a threat to the favourite. Couer Joyeux made a very promising debut to split two previous winners at Leopardstown in February. He’ll also come on from that run and should be bang there. I’ve gotten good word for the Paul Nolan trained Crazyheart over the last few days. He made a successful debut in a Tallow pt to pt in February where first two finished clear and the following month he was sold for 110,000 at the Cheltenham Sales. The vibes have been very good for this one and should have his chance. It’s hard to size up which horse is the best in here as most are unraced.

Selection: Startinfromscratch 9/2 Win & Crazyheart 8/1 Each Way

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Hi Guys,

A friend and myself are doing previews for each day of Punchestown

Here's todays:

Willie Mullins not to have a winner on day one of the punchestown festival.

Let me know how that works out for you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Willie Mullins not to have a winner on day one of the punchestown festival.

Let me know how that works out for you.....

From a punting perspective it makes no sense to back Douvan or Don Poli at very short prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Pathetic from Boyles but money back as a free bet upto 25 if Douvan doesn't win.

Should be a free fiver if anyone is bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Cant seem to get excited about this years festival. Looking through the races a lot of the grade 1's look like processions for the Mullins hotpots. Disappointing that there are hardly no English raiders over for great prizepools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Very hard to find a bet in this today. Champagne Fever is starting to look backable at 7/2. I was keen to oppose him when the declarations came out when he was 7/4 but I think the value has been sucked out of everything else. I'm willing to forgive him a poor run on the Mildmay course, return to an undulating track should help him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I fancy John Kiely's horse in the filles bumper on Friday. It's called Pride of the Braid. I thought she ran a lovely race at Wexford the last time and she could be a nice bet at big odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

DylanAFC wrote: »
    From a punting perspective it makes no sense to back Douvan or Don Poli at very short prices.

Hard to get excited with Punchestown this year with the prices of the Favs in the biggest races. Douvan 1/6, Faugheen 1/5, Don Poli 1/3 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

That was very unfair on bailey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

a gigginstown set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Valsuer Lido wins the 6:45. Don Poli very disappointing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What was the result in the last race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

1st 4 Valseur Lido (FR) 15/2
    2nd 5 Wounded Warrior (IRE) 9/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

It may look very competitive on paper, but not sure how well handicapped some of the horses are in the 2 1/2 mile handicap chase tomorrow. Baby Mix ran a great race for a horse returning from injury in a good handicap last time, and he won in a canter off a pound lower at Kempton before his injury beating a really smart horse in second, jumping him into the ground. 16/1 is quite big and he has a nice chance if not bouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Video and Audio lost during the last race :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭CH3OH

1st 20 Timing'severything (IRE) 33/1 (Betfair Starting Price:113.04 ouch!)
    2nd 7 Coeur Joyeux (IRE) 5/2 f
    3rd 21 Weyburn (IRE) 33/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Fancy Road to Riches and No more heros tomorrow. Think they are both good value with PP at 10/3 and 7/2 respectively. 2pts win both and 1 pt double.

I have also backed waydownsouth ew in the first at 33s. Decent enough flat handicapper who won on his debut over hurdles. I think a rating of 115 could be lenient and am willing to take a chance. 1 pt ew.

I agree with PC on Baby mix and have followed for 2 pts win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Is Nicholas Canyon running at Punchestown this week?

Just had a thought, I know he might not be great on good to firm, but I wonder would Mullins be tempted to try him for the Ascot Gold Cup, (flats)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Valsuer Lido wins the 6:45. Don Poli very disappointing.

Shades of Cooldine there. From hero at Cheltenham to zero at Punchestown. The RSA chase takes it out of horses and expecting them to perform again at Punchestown is a big ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    a gigginstown set up?

Yep always back the white cap gigginstown runner in a race they got 2 runners or more must be at least a 75% strike rate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Todays Preview:
    Punchestown Day 2
    By Peter Cahill & Dan Reidy

3:40:

This is a wide open 28 runner handicap hurdle to open the card. Will be tough to find a placed horse let alone the winner. The one I like is Seskinane. Who is a quite talented sort whose win ratio doesn't reflect his ability. Creditable effort in circumstances on recent return from winter break when fifth of 18 in competitive 2m6f Fairyhouse handicap; possibilities now at probably his optimum trip. Sea Beat won a smart Naas maiden hurdle over a year ago (soft-to-heavy) but has struggled in handicaps at 2m, now steps up in trip. Could bring about some improvement in him. Pack the Punch won a Roscommon bumper last July. He is still to score over hurdles but rarely far away including making frame last three starts in 2m4f maidens; cheekpieces now tried on handicap debut though. Is one I like at a big price:

Selection: Sekinane 14/1 Each Way & Pack the Punch 25/1 Each Way

4:20:
    Aklan represents Willie Mullins from a powerful early entry however he'll ought to improve after 2 terribly poor recent efforts. IDENTITY THIEF looked potentially very useful after his initial 2 starts however pulled up in a Grade one at Leopardstown in february. He showed that to be all wrong with a fine second to the progressive Sempre medici in a Grade two at Fairyhouse last time and might come back to on the winning path. Marchese marconi unseated Joseph o'brien at the last in a handicap at Fairyhouse and was still in the lead at the time. He'll stay this longer trip and might go well along side Sadler's Risk, who could not cope with Thunder Zone at Cork but was conceding 18lb and had Aklan a long way behind. On Fiddlers green ran way on top of expectations in a Grade two at Fairyhouse last time and a repeat may see him within the frame.

Selection: Identity Thief win @ 2/1

4:55:

This looks a top staying novice hurdle. Shaneshill is the one they all have to beat. Won a Grade One bumper at last year's Festival and two wins over hurdles this term in 2m4f Fairyhouse contests, visually very impressive (though race lacked strength in depth) on latest when cruising into lead before two out to win unextended (soft); in between beaten by No More Heroes in similar Navan contest and chased home stablemate Douvan in 2m Supreme Novices'; really getting his act together over hurdles though stamina not yet proven at this trip. No More Heroes is a classy sort who beat Shaneshill in Grade 2 Navan novice over 2m4f and put up best effort when third to Martello Tower in Albert Bartlett over this trip last month, looking an unlucky loser after being squeezed for room approaching the last and having to be switched; proven over this trip and looks the one to expose any stamina limitations in Shaneshill. Of the others I like the English trained Fletchers Flyer. He won a bumper on this card a year ago and and although not entirely straightforward (can hang) has been progressive over hurdles of late, most recently making running and sticking on well for clear second behind Definitly Red in Haydock Grade 2 over this trip last month, each-way claims.

Selection: No More Heroes Win & Fletchers Flyer 14/1 Each Way

5:30:

ROAD TO RICHES missed Aintree and has been kept to be fresh for this race.
    Ran a blinder in the Gold Cup and finished in third place and could exchange places with DJAKADAM who finished in second place. This one has also not seen any action since this race.
    Noel Meade been running well throughout the season and can take a strong hand in at the finish, with a big run and finish the season off on a high note. The selection has been off since the gold cup run when he was behind the Mullins horse. Over the slightly shorter distance I expect him to reverse that form. Gigginstown has started the festival well and this should take as all the beating.

Selection: Road to Riches win @ 7/2

6:05:

This is a great race, a winners bumper. Modus is a listed bumper winner at Cheltenham and finished eighth in last season's Cheltenham bumper as a 4 year old. Ran a blinder in first-time hood to finish second to Moon Racer in this years Cheltenham bumper when ridden patiently. Big chance under Derek O'Connor today if ridden more prominently. The big danger is Disko who looked potentially very smart when winning very easily over the course and trip on debut; could be big player for stable that won this three times in four years in the middle of the previous decade.

Charbel looked a very promising horse when value for much more than the 4l margin first time out at Leopardstown in February. Confirmed favourable impression with a convincing display on heavy in a Listed bumper at Limerick, ought to be at least as effective on better ground. Of the others Supasundae is a horse I have a lot of time for. Has a strong flat pedigree, by Galileo out of a half-sister to Nathaniel. Won at Wetherby last March for Tim Fitzgerald and Ascot in December for Andrew Balding, beating previously unbeaten Yanworth with the pair clear of a Willie Mullins raider. Made a lot of the running before fading into sixth behind Moon Racer at Cheltenham. Didn’t get up the hill there and might be better suited to this track.

Selection: Modus 4/1 Win & Supasundae 7/1 Each Way

6:40:

Strongpoint been a winner of three chases and three point-to-points from 2m to 3m on ground varying from good to firm to soft and showed up well at Ayr when 3rd over 2m good beaten by Duke Of Navan by 6 lengths although it led from 1st it hit 3 out but still managed to recover at get a frame finish where it was running on the extra distance should help if it can avoid hitting the fences,

Selection: StrongPoint e/w @ 20/1

7:15:

This a tricky race like most on the card. Another bumper with not much form to go on. Might be best to stick with the English trained favourite Champers on Ice. He was an early casualty on first point-to-point start.This Robin Des Champs gelding was bought then just a week after winning a maiden point. On breeding looks the one but hard to tell how good he is. First Figaro is a German-bred gelding who may not have been ideally suited by testing conditions when runner-up first time out at Leopardstown in December; looks very interesting for top Flat stable which has had smart bumper performers in recent seasons; rider probably the best value for 7lb on the scene. Rocklander is another one I like in here on breeding. Brother to 2m4f bumper/2m hurdle winner Rathpatrick; dam also fairly useful bumper/hurdle winner up to nearly 2m6f; not an easy task here for a first-timer, but jockey-booking is a positive.

Selection: Champers on Ice 5/2 Win & Rocklander 25/1 Each Way

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

<snip>

We can't facilitate the buying/selling of tickets in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ladeeen

Walsh Rides Nichols Again

Willie Mullins fires four bullets at the Tattersalls Ireland Champion Novice Hurdle at the Punchestown Festival on Friday.
    Chief hope for the all-conquering Closutton team would appear to be Nichols Canyon, who excelled in the Mersey Novices' Hurdle at Aintree.

He will be ridden by Ruby Walsh, while McKinley, Outlander and Sempre Medici complete the battalion for Mullins, who won the race 12 months ago with Vautour.

Alpha Des Obeaux, Phil's Magic and No More Heroes have also been declared for the Grade One over two and a half miles, though the latter is due to run at the Punchestown Festival on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Just be wary of the big race, Djakadam and Road To Riches had very hard races in the GC. Also the last 6 renewals of the race has seen the following 'greats' win it:

Notre Pere
    Planet of Sound
    Follow The Plan
    China Rock
    Boston Bob

And the likes of Denman and Kauto Star have flopped spectacularly in the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Todays Preview:

Another day and no Willie Mullins winner , who writes this rubbish ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Ladeeen wrote: »
    Walsh Rides Nichols Again

That rumour just wont go away will it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Really like the look of Tarabiyn in the First nice weight will like the ground everything going 14-1 great price. Roi Des Francs Value if you forgive last run huge price 20-1. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

Todays Preview:

I'm going to sound like a bit of a bollox here but if you're hoping to be taken seriously with these previews you're going to have to try a bit harder than lifting sentences verbatim from the Racing Post!

Advertisement