Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2016

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Murph_D wrote: »
    03:12:41 for tomred1N. Very solid run. I'd imagine he's happy enough after some calf troubles in the run-up
    too. Nice one.
    Thanks Murph, you imagine correctly . Not as solid as I'd hoped but no excuses on the day just didn't have the turbo for the last 10k and was happy to PB in the end. Felt like I was jogging till half way ( well I was but u know what I mean ! ) and was most comfortable I've ever been at that pace for so long but legs just began to seize and I didn't push the pain barrier any further. One day I might and it will be my last one !!
    I never saw Kelly Holmes pass me but was sure Bulmers74 would have got me especially after my jibe about beating his PB. I have a lot more respect for 3:08 now though !! Didn't make the coal hole as went for analgesics in first pub I saw and kept drinking till i felt like jogging back to hotel !

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Oh Jesus, whose idea was it to run a Marathon.

Was going great sticking between the four hour and four 15 pacer until around the 17 mile mark and oh my god, my right thigh cramped up something shocking. had to stop and try and stretch it out, took around a mile and a half before i could even think about running again, but i did and kept going at a slower pace just to loosen it out a bit. struggled for around four miles or so but picked it up again for the last four. It was a great experience the atmosphere around the course was unreal. Coming up around Westminster into birdcage walk the countdown to the finish line was great.

All I can say is well done to everyone and my personal goal was to finish and I did and feel good today. from couch to marathon in 53 weeks not bad going I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Very happy with that run. Really had no idea of what time to go for and didn't bother about positioning in the GFA pen at the start, just went with the pace that those around me were doing and what felt good at the time. Not by any real thought I found myself knocking out pretty consistent 6:30-35 pace miles and felt fine. Just kept going, looking out for various family members supporting along the way and having breif chats with other local club runners I recognised as I went past them. Until about 20 miles, and knowing that I was comfortably under 3, but nowhere near a PB or other significant time milestone that I cared about, I eased back a bit and just made sure of a decent enough time. No point fighting for another minute that I don't care about and risk loosing 10 minutes, so just played it safe and enjoyed the run in to the finish.

Very happy with 2:56:44 which although a mile slower than my PB is now my second fastest marathon by a few seconds. I was completely shattered after crossing the line though and started shivering and couldn't get any food down for a good while. All grand now and even managed to walk downstairs to breakfast in the hotel carrying the baby, so the legs are grand.

Now to figure out if it is possible to attack the PB properly again and fit in more training around the family, and if it is worth the effort for what might be only minimal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Well what can I say. Quite happy with the result in the end. Went around in 3:31:27 taking about 6 mins off my PB. Race was very evenly split time wise. sub 3:30 just wasn't there for me on the day. Race wise I started out alone but picked one of our club runners after blue and green merged roughly and was with her up until about 15 miles.

I could feel it in my quads early doors which didn't seem like a good sign and I was quite surprised with this. Almost lost my hamstring at mile 20 as one leg kicked a bottle and the other leg jumped instinctively but it settled down. Around mile 20/22 I seemed to be slowly pulling the 3:30 pacers back but it was not to be and they headed off.

Was wrecked when finished. Had to ask another runner for their water (thanks!) and also asked one of the support people to grab me another bottle off the ground and then had a sit down for 5 mins.

Nice to meet Bulmers in the pub for a couple of pints then after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Really enjoyed this marathon. For the most part anyway! I set myself a target of staying under 3:05 and I got around in 3:03:58, so I can't complain with that. Not a PB, but still very happy overall.

Despite it being my 7th marathon I either need to finally either learn to pace properly or train properly. I know I'm not a negative split type runner, I'm more a hanger-on for dear life for the last few miles type. It probably comes down to not training properly - I didn't follow any kind of plan this time around, just upped my mileage weekly and added in a tempo and interval session every week that I made up as I went along.

So this time I decided despite knowing for absolute certainty that I wouldn't be able for a sub-3, that I'd set out at that pace anyway and hang on for as long as I could, but ease back at the slightest sign of strain to not risk blowing up - which is exactly what I did. Despite making the half way point on 1:28:52 (bit too fast) and keeping sub-3 splits up until mile 20 or 21, once I felt it starting to hurt I eased right back from there. I didn't want to risk it. But in hindsight I wonder if I could have pushed on, but who cares. I was wearing a 3:05 pace band so I just kept an eye on that and the time to make sure I didn't drop off too much. Seemed to work.

It was a great one to finally do though. The atmosphere for parts was great. I ran the whole section by the cutty sark with a huge smile on my face. That said I barely remember seeing Big Ben!

The only downside was breaking the cardinal rule of marathon running and wearing an untested top on race day (my wife made me do it! :D) and crossing the line blissfully unaware that I had a bloody nipple patch! Just as well I didn't notice it any sooner though, which actually kind of amazes me. Only spotted it when I went to change into my finisher tshirt a while later.

0024.jpg?preset=p

I might have to buy that one :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ouch. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ballot entry opens today, am 3 from 3 in the majors lotteries so hope the luck continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭ooter

Are you better off applying as a UK runner if you have the use of a UK address or have you just as good a chance applying as an overseas runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

ooter wrote: »
    Are you better off applying as a UK runner if you have the use of a UK address or have you just as good a chance applying as an overseas runner?
    Do both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

morceli wrote: »
    Do both

Are you sure that won't cancel/null your entry?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Better chance if applying from a UK address - take that route if you can! It still took me 6 tries to get in through the ballot even with applying using a UK address for most of then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Just signed up - looking forward to my 3rd rejection in a row! Are the ref numbers assigned sequentially? If so they're at over 337k entries so far :0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Signed up for UK ballot fro 2017. Have a 50% record (1/2) so far on the ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Into the ballot I go also (I live in UK)
    Think this is my fifth entry in six years, so fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

I'm in again as usual think its about 8/10 years I've entered now and only got in once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

First time entering the ballot. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

First time entering the ballot. Here's hoping!

Do you not have a q time?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Do you not have a q time?

I do but the only guy I know living in the UK who I could "temporarily move in with" is most likely moving home in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

I do but the only guy I know living in the UK who I could "temporarily move in with" is most likely moving home in September.

You should still apply (think the GFA opens in July), if your temporary housemate moves back home, you can use the change of address option, and they will then email you your final instructions in March, instead of posting them to your UK address. I've used the change of address before when a similar situation happened to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I am in the ballot for this year, its the only marathon that will ge out of my retirement for marathons

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've no idea why but I put myself in for ballot too. Zero interest in running it. Don't know why I keep doing this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I've no idea why but I put myself in for ballot too. Zero interest in running it. Don't know why I keep doing this...

Another excuse to visit the local wine outlets!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

ha ha you'll be the one that gets a place!!!!

RubyK wrote: »
    You should still apply (think the GFA opens in July), if your temporary housemate moves back home, you can use the change of address option, and they will then email you your final instructions in March, instead of posting them to your UK address. I've used the change of address before when a similar situation happened to me ;)

I shall have to investigate this option further.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For anyone else who has deferred - the link to the ill or injured form was sent out this morning, you have until June 24 to fill it in and pay for your place.

I've just started a new 2017 thread over here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057606172

Advertisement