Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options
  • 24-04-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

So I've seen this topic in here a few times in recent years but there's nothing of yet this year. Who's planning on going and any tips for a first time not camping at it?

Also, we've missed the campervan tickets going on sale so if anyone knows any for sale please do let me know.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I don't have a campervan (yet!), but I wonder if batteries can last the whole weekend at electric picnic, I rented a campervan in Australia and if it was not plugged in on a site straight away all the lights would go dim and the fridge would basically stop working, it would basically be useless without a connection every night,
    is this even normal? Or would batteries be expected to last all weekend as I believe there are no electrical connections supplied at electric picnic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

bladebrew wrote: »
    I don't have a campervan (yet!), but I wonder if batteries can last the whole weekend at electric picnic, I rented a campervan in Australia and if it was not plugged in on a site straight away all the lights would go dim and the fridge would basically stop working, it would basically be useless without a connection every night,
    is this even normal? Or would batteries be expected to last all weekend as I believe there are no electrical connections supplied at electric picnic?

I would expect the leisure battery to last for lights all weekend. It would also be in use for the water pump. The leisure battery does not power the fridge. With no electrical hookup the fridge would be running on gas. I think the camper you had in Australia had a bad battery. It would be strange if they had the fridge hooked up to the battery. That would kill it in a matter of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

*Kol* wrote: »
    It would be strange if they had the fridge hooked up to the battery. That would kill it in a matter of minutes.

An adsorption fridge will only cool to 25-30 degrees below ambient, you need compressorin a lot of Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 scottmonaghan

Just booked pink moon camping for EP, Can anyone tell me is how far it is away from all the action? i hear its a bit of a trek...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Just booked pink moon camping for EP, Can anyone tell me is how far it is away from all the action? i hear its a bit of a trek...

Very close - can be seen from main arena. Looks like a great option really - and not likely to descend into a 3rd world shanty like the main camping spots

• Advertisement

moodrater wrote: »
    An adsorption fridge will only cool to 25-30 degrees below ambient, you need compressorin a lot of Oz.

That's true. A decent three way fridge works great on gas though, just as good as on 220v. I see a lot of people don't remove the cover from the vent to allow air circulation. AfAIR it should be removed for relatively low temps >15 degrees. This helps a lot.

A 12v cool box is always an option. I am not sure how long it would take to drain a battery though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get a liter or two of milk and freeze it should last two days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

*Kol* wrote: »
    A 12v cool box is always an option. I am not sure how long it would take to drain a battery though?

Peltier coolboxes are the same max 20c below ambient more like 18C in real life. Most of them are poorly insulated and about 5% efficient so 40w of 12v removes 2 joules of heat per second.

This is what we do also:
    2 liters of milk at -18C rising to 5C is the equivalent of 180000 Joules

Thats the equivalent cooling of 25 hours of 40w coolbox running constantly which would consume 80Ah of battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Simona1986 wrote: »
    So I've seen this topic in here a few times in recent years but there's nothing of yet this year. Who's planning on going and any tips for a first time not camping at it?

Also, we've missed the campervan tickets going on sale so if anyone knows any for sale please do let me know.

:)

Try to time your arrival to avoid the queues, early friday morning last year was a breeze. They search every camper and this adds to the delay of getting in.

speaking of searching, don't pack any glass bottles or bring a generator. They will be taken off you on the way in. bring cans and have your spirits transferred to a plastic bottle.

There is a place to empty your toilet cassette, but no fresh water to top up your tank and no electric hookup. so brim your water tank, and make sure your leisure battery is in good condition.

Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. The campervan site can be noisy depending on your neighbours, or location in relation to a path.

A decent warm bed, cold beer from your own fridge, plenty of supplies, shower facilities, and your own toilet .. once you've gone in a camper you'll never want to go back to camping in a tent .. :)

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Camper tickets are quite scarce, I think I'll have no choice but a tent this year!

• Advertisement

stevire wrote: »
    Camper tickets are quite scarce, I think I'll have no choice but a tent this year!

They don't post them until a couple of weeks before the picnic, so mid august they'll appear in peoples letter boxes. A few tickets tend to pop up for sale then. Keep an eye on toutless.com where you could pick one up for face value, you'd need to be persistent and monitor the thread frequently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

They don't post them until a couple of weeks before the picnic, so mid august they'll appear in peoples letter boxes. A few tickets tend to pop up for sale then. Keep an eye on toutless.com where you could pick one up for face value, you'd need to be persistent and monitor the thread frequently though.

Exactly - they actually put more tickets up for sale in the past couple of weeks - I only found out through diligently following the thread on toutless.

Does anyone know will I be able to fill water tanks on site or should I fill up before arriving?

Does anyone know will I be able to fill water tanks on site or should I fill up before arriving?

Load up before you get there. Taps on site but you queue to fill a container. There is a black waste point- gets messy but manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DayvFit

How tough is it to find people reselling their tickets. Just recently decided I really wanna go

DayvFit wrote: »
    How tough is it to find people reselling their tickets. Just recently decided I really wanna go

You will probably find tickets in the last few weeks running up to it when people drop out of going at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corcaigcailin

CAMPERVAN wanted
    4 mature ladies who would treat your van like their own.

[Please note:
    1. I know it's very difficult to secure a campervan, I've tried everywhere.
    2. No, I'm not willing to sell my campervan ticket.]

If you get stuck - remember you're also allowed to bring caravans!

Thanks Simona, none of us has experience driving a trailer/caravan so we're not allowed the use of a car with a hitch, which is fair enough. I reeeeeeeallly want a campervan!!

It's not that difficult, you'd get the hang of it in one outing!

Does anyone know what the story is with bringing in cutlery and the likes is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

For your morning muesli use Almond milk, not bad at all, does not need to be refrigerated although we keep it in there anyway.

Tea and coffee, after the first cup of black you soon get used to it.

Good leisure battery should last the weekend on lights and water if used with sense. Frugality with water and power are the keys to success when wild camping.

We got a rental!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very happy campers now....haha.

Anymore tips along the lines of what KOL and Sons of Perdition had to offer would be great.

We got a rental!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very happy campers now....haha.

Anymore tips along the lines of what KOL and Sons of Perdition had to offer would be great.

Make sure you have full water so you can boil a kettle, wash your teeth/hands, have a shower (maybe).
    Make sure your grey water is empty so you can hold the contents of above.
    Empty your toilet and use as little as possible.
    Have enough gas for cooking, hot water, fridge, heating as necessary.
    something you may not need hopefully but just in case. Make sure you lock any bikes on your rack or barbecues outside just in case. also bring a footpump just in case anybody thinks its hilarious to let down your tyres.

If you have a working fridge there is nothing better than filling it with tons of sausages, rashers, puddings, and eggs! Burgers, chops, anything that can be done on a pan or BBQ. Milk of course. And the obligatory slab of coke (coca cola).
    Butter galore and then 20 sliced pans (no point in starving to death). Zillions of bags of crisps.

Finally, tea bags, coffee, sugar, hot chocolate..

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

When driving home, if you haven't already emptied the toilet cassette fill about 4-5 inches of water into it when sluice trap is closed to form a seal , this will help prevent fumes from coming into the wagon as you drive along agitating the waste. You can open the roof vent if it has one facing backwards (i.e. you don't want it catching the wind a ripping off) to vent toilet as well.

Might not make sense now but if you are driving along and you get a whiff you will say "ah..." ;-)

Mine is an older camper, with a modern rental you might not have to deal with such things.

Has anyone yet to receiver their campervan ticket?

Has anyone yet to receiver their campervan ticket?

No sign of any tickets yet - camper or weekend - would expect them in coming week

Great pointers, thanks people.
    Also awaiting the campervan ticket and glad to hear others haven't received theirs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

That's interesting re the tickets. My daughter advertised for a camper ticket, got one last year but missed out this year. Two days ago a guy rang her oferingva ticket for €150, which she would have paid but she was not happy with some of his answers and called it off.

Campervan tickets have started to arrive in post boxes. Mine arrived last fri and others have arrived today. I'd imagine that if anyone has a spare for any reason they'll pop it up for sale between now and the weekend of the picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 0kee

Going to the picnic with my camper and haven't managed to sort a ticket yet (anyone looking to sell one??) Would they have a problem with parking it up in the car park and sleeping there? Plenty of people sleep in their cars and vans...

Advertisement