Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International cricket thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Feel like an idiot for bigging up this series. Australia are made to look as hopeless as everyone else that tours India. Smith and a prayer basically. Should have known better

Shami managed to survive longer than all of them bar Smith. A lot easier for Shami when he’s not facing Ashwin, Axar and Jadeja but still. One session was all they needed to take ten second innings wickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Irish ladies 42-1 against England after 6 overs. Plenty of brilliant batting, attacking intent and good entertaining stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Wheels are falling off for Ireland, 94 - 7 after 14.4

Edit: 105 all out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Xander10

Awful collapse. England could have this done in 10 overs

England all over New Zealand. 106/1 after 16 overs.

as well as England have batted it has to be said.. the New Zealand bowlers are clueless. Duckett has scored 77 from 59. Played well but I can’t say enough how plainly shîte this New Zealand attack is… crap.

wide half trackers, full tosses, leg stump half volleys. Run rate is 6.47.

New Zealand need to find bowlers…Southee is 34 now. Boult who has ruled himself out of selection is 33… a couple of injuries too but New Zealand is a big old country in terms of cricket teams and interest l

Post edited by Strumms on

• Advertisement

Day/night takes away what I have always liked about watching NZ cricket, the 10pm start. 1pm isn’t here nor there for us.

Another great day for England. Having lost the toss, they are bossing it and it’s only Conway really standing in their way. Teams know what they’re going to try and do but are powerless to stop them it seems.

yep, day / night cricket is about $£$£$£$£$£

At 152/3 England would have hoped to get closer to 400 but 325 it is… However New Zealand are in bits.. 37/3 after 18 overs. 3 wickets down and scoring at 2.07 runs an over.

from this position New Zealand will probably hope they can add 180 more runs and start praying for a miracle.

Englands test to lose… weather is forecasted to be sunny with the odd cloudy spell and no rain.

England get a first innings lead around 140-150, which is likely … New Zealand don’t have a prayer….

Stokes with a very negative field to his own bowling. No slips, no short leg or silly mid off, no close catchers whatsoever…

Stokes bowling almost exclusively bouncers. Bizarre. Almost hoping for an error as opposed to forcing one through pressure and good bowling.

Test just meandering along, uneventfully. New Zealand five down, not great captaincy.

Indian allrounders to the rescue again. For a second Australia looked like they could take a significant lead of a hundred plus but are now facing a deficit.

Stuart Broad looks to have settled the other game with another of his great spells. No hundreds for England but a lot of fifties. New Zealand very light without Boult and Jamieson

Good win for England women over India. Katherine Brunt is done though I think. Doesn't deserve her place in the team imo.

• Advertisement

38 at her next birthday and she’s not moving all too fluidly in the field. Has had a great career though.

English men all over New Zealand. NZ… From 63/5 to 72/8 in 20 minutes….I think we can safely say that England have this one. An entertaining test, shame about this collapse though.

Williamson & Stead have a heap of work to do….

Pretty embarrassing day for our antipodean friends. Saw with the Bangladesh defeat last year the bubble has burst for NZ but this was particularly soft. An English attack with no pace or quality spin, that struggled for years to take twenty wickets in such conditions, they just rolled over.

It’s Southee that’s captain now, Williamson jumped off the sinking ship a few months ago. They did bounce back well to beat Bangladesh, feel England are be far too confident to let that happen this year.

Australia then collapsed in a heap after being in a decent place. Jadeja running riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anderson up to 682 now, looking like he'll get to 700. I was sure when he hit 600 it would be his last big milestone, he just keeps going. Broad not too far off 600 himself now.

His average under Stokes is 16. After being dropped for the West Indies tour, it’s given him a second wind and Warne’s 708 is now in his sights.

See Australia were hammered by India.

scores of 263 & 113 are not going to win you much.

Pakistan Vs West Indies in the ICC women’s T20…West Indies have Pakistan by the collar, cruising , then West Indians in the last few overs see their bowlers loose their composure. Half trackers, dispatched to the boundary, multiple wides… Pakistan suddenly favourites but then a wicket as I type ! 5 runs needed from one ball… can Pakistan do it ? Super over ? Don’t bowl a no ball !

almost bowled a wide 😅 but it’s a single… Pakistanis beaten.

Women's t20 game was much tighter than I thought it'd be, very low scoring.

Irish ladies lost out on a result by Duckworth Lewis and appalling weather… lost by 5 runs.

I think it was Gaby Lewis who was blown off her feet onto the ground by the gale, flags were ripped from flagpoles at the pavilion. Atrocious weather.

frustrating thing was for one of the two wickets the Irish girls took a real badly judged second run where Amy Hunter was run out by about two and a half meters… if they’d only been one wicket down, DLS gives Ireland the victory… two runs never there though, the ball never got close to being far enough away from the wicket..a rush of blood and over enthusiasm….contributed to lax judgement, cost them a win ultimately.

England ladies absolutely demolishing Pakistan.

Pakistan 77/7 after 17 chasing 214.

could have been worse for Pakistan. England butchered a couple of runout chances, one two minutes ago and the throw only had to get to the wicket keeper over the stumps about 15 feet away but beyond brutal throw…

As good as England are, favourites in fact….Pakistan are not impressive.

Done….114 run victory. Biggest victory margin in women’s T20 World Cup history…

Much as I'd love to see England win it, the Aussies are a cut above and strong favourites, not sure who has England to win it. (Maybe some over patriotic Englishmen)

Australia heavy enough odds on and England 3-1 to win the world cup with Paddy Power, which seems about right.

That’s going to be a tough defeat to get over for India in the women’s semifinal. Had it under control and one bit of sloppiness or you could call it bad luck turned the game on its head.

• Advertisement

England after a disastrous start having been 21/3 are now 182/3

Harry Brook and Root getting them back on track. Brook looks like a player, attacking but smart, with three sixes and a host of fours and genuinely positive batting. He’s great to watch. Some find. Six tests,…. four hundreds and three fifties.

Brook is the real deal. Rarely if ever is Root outclassed like this. Sample size isn’t small anymore.

Absolutely, what’s even more impressive about Brook is the scoring rate. 135* off 129, yet another six !

wonder will England put the foot down after tea ? A lead of 320 would be well within their grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Went to bed with them around 50/3, was not expecting that when I woke up.

Brook 184* from only 164 deliveries…. That’s frighteningly good, spectacular…wonder will he get to the double hundred, hopefully , it would be deserved. This is a player.

likelihood too is that if he gets there it will be the fourth fastest double hundred in test match cricket history…

currently Virender Sehwag (182 balls) vs Pakistan in 2006 is in fourth place as regards fastest double hundreds. Brook has only played around 6 tests, or is this his 7th ? I’m not sure……But seriously, talent to burn by the looks of things 🤯…. Be interesting to see him make the step up to facing the Aussies on their own patch…

Australia at home is first and I’ve seen people weirdly say he has to prove himself at home. As all his success has come abroad. Even they must be starting to believe he is a special player now.

New Zealand’s lack of bowling depth desperately exposed again. Southee only one with any semblance of control. Wagner’s tactics have merit and have yielded him a lot of wickets but it is so expensive now.

Tim Southee has only just turned 34, yet, he looks about 40. Bowling stock deliveries here at 78/79 mph.

England have lost wickets but have kept the run rate at or around 5. Attacking..

419/7… Root still at the crease… pretty much only two results likely now… a draw and England win. Weather is likely to intervene to curtail play both today and tomorrow im seeing so….

435/8 and England declare… surprised by that as are the commentators.

So the follow on gets enforced after being bowled out for 209 NZ are 115-0 after 43 overs, slow, watchful and not very entertaining but such is the game situation.

England will be a bit disappointed with bad luck rather than bad bowlers. Their bowlers have been good, very economical and reasonably threatening. I’ve just count of the times they’ve beaten the edge with little to no daylight between bat and ball.

multiple edges also just dropping out of reach of the fielders, as I type, difficult chance for Leach, he puts Conway down off his own bowling, mega difficult chance though, only ankle height and hit back at him to his right, hard.

Wondering after all was the follow on the appropriate call from Stokes ? Day four of the test, two of his strike bowlers are an almost 41 year old Anderson and a 36 year old Broad. Rough maths and I think 322 overs so far without a significant break between the bowling attack total over these two innings…

Don’t follow on, gets his bowlers rested, his batsmen in quick fire ODI mode. 226 was the lead… a quickish fire 280 equals a 507 target. Your bowlers are rested. NZ are tired… perfect. That surely was the best pathway to victory.

instead now the English bowlers look knackered, Broad looks totally banjaxed. Stokes has failed to factor in having Broad plus Anderson plus following on isn’t a great idea….

fine 7 years ago but a risk that wasn’t needed, he’ll be sorry if this comes back to haunt him. Bit of a bravado move.

England now look likely to have barring a substantial collapse, have to chase 300 plus for victory.

Stokes himself is carrying an injury of the 140 overs bowled ,Ben has only bowled 2, they cost him 16 runs, moving not great.

poor captaincy, failing to factor in multiple facets of the game..should have batted.

• Advertisement

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Decision felt right at the time and still looks fine now with a day left. The substantial collapse did come and has made the job a lot easier. Really poor by Bracewell and Southee throwing in away in that fashion.

Patience must be finally running out for Crawley. Suicidal picking him in the Ashes in this form.

Advertisement