Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick for week and got threatened

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pretty much get a job lined up and leave, all you can do. It's not worth working in an environment like that, working is hard enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don't let him run you out of your job. By all means explore alternatives but don't jump ship until you have something better lined up.

You did nothing wrong and there's no reason why you should voluntarily forfeit your job and save your boss from complying with his responsibilities as an employer if he wants rid of you.

Other people on this thread have referred to how he will push you to resign so as to avoid an unfair dismissal action. This may be so but his actions so far do not appear to be those of a smart man with a plan so much as a bullying idiot. If this is how he will continue to act then he is creating a tremendous exposure on his part to a constructive dismissal action down the line.

Begin taking notes of all of your interactions with him where you feel that he is acting abusive. Changes to your work situation and arrangements should also be documented and consider requesting reasons for them if they appear odd. So far you only have two incidents but if it builds into a pattern then consider going to a solicitor. Bear in mind that you're not doing anything wrong in trying to hold onto your job, or seeking recompense if you are unfairly pushed out of it.

Ya know, its all fair going on about responsibilities and protections etc, bla bla..
    But, remember this guy ownes the company, if he's taken a serious dislike to OP then there are a myriad of ways to have OP out the door, and have a watertight paperwork trail too. In the past I've been the guy making this happen so I know it can be done, and with the backing of the owner its a sure thing. This is the real world, owners have huge sway in what happens in a company !

OP should be actively and swiftly looking for alternative employment, it will lessen the chances of him having a break in employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Just imagine the OP had the flu or the winter vomiting bug. Would his employer bully him and verbally attack him if he still went into work this sick, and spread this vomiting bug or the flu to all other employees ? as this would have all employees on the sick obviously.

I wouldn't want a sick person coming into work and spreading it around causing more of my employees to be out sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

That reminds me of the first full time job I was ever in, I was supposed to be mentored (and I didn't know this) but the boss pulled me aside and told me I was doing everything wrong, as if the fact that she hadn't given me any training or guidance was my fault. I nearly changed careers over it. I've worked in other places since and realised that I would have been mad to quit when it happened.

Just try not to let him get to you, you need to be happy in your work or what the hell is the point. You sound like you have a lot of cop on and like you're a nice person. Put up an abuse shield when he comes over and take it, then shake it off after recording it. Godspeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Update
    Been absolute hell working for this crowd and been getting more and more depressed from working.
    Lack of work in there and yet somehow they make it out that it's our fault if we don't have enough hours of productivity.
    I had literally 3 hours of productivity in a day and got ears chewed off me but yet there wasn't work in so I unfortunately walked out of the job almost in tears but I had to.
    Went home, got showed and printed off cv's.
    Within an hour I was asked to come for interview later that day.
    I start the job on Monday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Update
    Been absolute hell working for this crowd and been getting more and more depressed from working.
    Lack of work in there and yet somehow they make it out that it's our fault if we don't have enough hours of productivity.
    I had literally 3 hours of productivity in a day and got ears chewed off me but yet there wasn't work in so I unfortunately walked out of the job almost in tears but I had to.
    Went home, got showed and printed off cv's.
    Within an hour I was asked to come for interview later that day.
    I start the job on Monday :D

I am delighted for you. Best of luck with the new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Update Been absolute hell working for this crowd and been getting more and more depressed from working. Lack of work in there and yet somehow they make it out that it's our fault if we don't have enough hours of productivity. I had literally 3 hours of productivity in a day and got ears chewed off me but yet there wasn't work in so I unfortunately walked out of the job almost in tears but I had to. Went home, got showed and printed off cv's. Within an hour I was asked to come for interview later that day. I start the job on Monday

Absolutely delighted for ya, dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

Best of luck with the new job, onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP, I'm delighted for you

I worked in loads of places like that before I qualified.

Looking back at it, you have just witnessed the worst form of manager. A person who will never succeed because they don't have the skills to do it.

When you are at the top of the food chain, you'll use the terrible experience you have had to climb even higher.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So how is it going today OP? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Thank you all for the well wishes and advice.
    First day started off slow but I managed to pick it up doing several jobs and was walking out at 5 and boss asked me would I do a clutch on a car for taxi driver who needs his car tonight for work.
    So reckon I got browny points for that :)
    Only home now but a good day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wherel

_Brian wrote: »
    Ya know, its all fair going on about responsibilities and protections etc, bla bla..

In the past I've been the guy making this happen so I know it can be done, and with the backing of the owner its a sure thing. This is the real world, owners have huge sway in what happens in a company !

In the past I've been at the receiving end of this happening. Do you ever consider the feelings and circumstances of the person you're treating like that?

Glad to hear it all worked out ok in the end OP and I hope you've recovered from how you've been treated, its just so unfortunate that there is people within companies willing to treat others like this and there's not much can be done about it if you value your own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I would never knowingly work again in a place where the owner is the manager, there are possibly exceptions, but anyplace I've been, the owner couldn't handle the pressure and lashed out at the slightest excuse.
    One family enterprise was the worst of all because the brothers who owned it supported each other in their lunacy. Their cousins etc. took the piss massively and the outsider plebs took all the flak. Before I went there, it never dawned on me why I knew so many people who USED to work there. I know it's not an option for everybody but my philosophy now is "Go corporate or go it alone".

Dodder, keep a diary, keep your nose cleaner than you should need to, and read up on unfair dismissals. Or look for something else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Not a very helpful answer, but it's a pity you couldn't of picked up a wrench and wear it off his head! Ignorant man deserves a week out sick himself! Hate bully bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Basically as title says I was out sick for a week with a chest infection and gave a sick note from the doctor for it.
    I was walking to get parts and met the boss. I said hi and he pulled me up being out and I sai well I Gave a doctors note and he said" I couldn't give a flying fcuk what you gave. Your costing me money and wasting my time."
    Then he told me I'm a useless prîck and a waste of time and energy and I'm only a fcukin headache to him that needs to be got rid of.

Firstly, how he handled that was completely out of line no doubt about that.

But how often have you called sick, been late, etc? Unless he's a complete twat, he didn't act like that for nothing.

Anyway, i'd jump on the advice of finding a new job. There's unlikley to be any wage/position improvement for you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Firstly, how he handled that was completely out of line no doubt about that.

But how often have you called sick, been late, etc? Unless he's a complete twat, he didn't act like that for nothing.

Anyway, i'd jump on the advice of finding a new job. There's unlikley to be any wage/position improvement for you there.

You should probably read the whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP is now sorted, I think we'll leave it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement