Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick for week and got threatened

Options
  • 21-04-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Basically as title says I was out sick for a week with a chest infection and gave a sick note from the doctor for it.
    I was walking to get parts and met the boss. I said hi and he pulled me up being out and I sai well I Gave a doctors note and he said" I couldn't give a flying fcuk what you gave. Your costing me money and wasting my time."
    Then he told me I'm a useless prîck and a waste of time and energy and I'm only a fcukin headache to him that needs to be got rid of.
    These are his exact words and I wrote on a sheet the date and time and his words given on a sheet in case something happened.
    I've made a mistake or two in the job but few and far between.
    Yet he throws this at me and starts being abusive towards me. Then he threatened me of my job saying he wants me gone and that he's going to tell my supervisor if I out a hair out of line I'm gone.
    All this came from me being out sick.
    Is this allowed despite the fact he is the owner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Basically as title says I was out sick for a week with a chest infection and gave a sick note from the doctor for it.
    I was walking to get parts and met the boss. I said hi and he pulled me up being out and I sai well I Gave a doctors note and he said" I couldn't give a flying fcuk what you gave. Your costing me money and wasting my time."
    Then he told me I'm a useless prîck and a waste of time and energy and I'm only a fcukin headache to him that needs to be got rid of.
    These are his exact words and I wrote on a sheet the date and time and his words given on a sheet in case something happened.
    I've made a mistake or two in the job but few and far between.
    Yet he throws this at me and starts being abusive towards me. Then he threatened me of my job saying he wants me gone and that he's going to tell my supervisor if I out a hair out of line I'm gone.
    All this came from me being out sick.
    Is this allowed despite the fact he is the owner.

This isn't acceptable at all. But depending on the company structure you could be in a bind.
    You did right to document everything. Did Anyone else hear this abuse?? Might be helpful if they signed te sheet too.

But, I've had senior managers come to me as supervisor and basically say the same, fed up of X so now off you go and manage him out the door, mostly that's what I did.

It's all down to you now, do you want to keep working in this company, ??

If not start looking for a job now, keep your head down and take the first out you can.

If you need or want to stay, I'd say go to the supervisor. Explain you spoke wih the owner and it didn't go well. But you are keen to keep your job and ask him/her to work with you to ensure it happens.

Owners will often get their way, maybe he just needed to vent and this will be the end of it. But it's possible you'll be moving job soon like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I can understand that and if he let me go that's his decision but it's the manner of which he spoke in.
    Verbal abuse at me. I of course stood there and let him give it as I didn't know if he was sacking me or not.
    And the fact that I was sick aswell. It's not as if I was dodging work. I was sick because of the job I work in and had gotten sick from being in the environment I work in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Are you permanent, how long have you worked there and how many times have you been out sick?

davo10 wrote: »
    Are you permanent, how long have you worked there and how many times have you been out sick?

Yeah I'm permanent and Been here over 13 months and was sick in January and sick last week. Before that I never had a sick day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Yeah I'm permanent and Been here over 13 months and was sick in January and sick last week. Before that I never had a sick day.

Then you have access to the the unfair dismissals act and employment tribunal if you are dismissed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're obviously not that sick if you can go for a stroll. Can you really not see why your boss was pissed at you? He handled it badly of course, but I wouldn't go expecting any promotions in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

You're obviously not that sick if you can go for a stroll. Can you really not see why your boss was pissed at you? He handled it badly of course, but I wouldn't go expecting any promotions in the future.

Where does it say he went for a stroll?
    I was walking to get parts and met the boss.

My understanding of this is that he is back in work and was walking to get parts in his job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Tell me why his boss was pissed with him because I can't see why he would be and why would he not be expecting any promotions in the future too? Get sick and there goes your chances of promotion, in fact to hell with that you're as good as gone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Tell me why his boss was pissed with him because I can't see why he would be and why would he not be expecting any promotions in the future too? Get sick and there goes your chances of promotion, in fact to hell with that you're as good as gone?!

Obviously. Sickness is weakness don't you know?

All the smartest companies maintain that competitive edge by chucking any employee out the door as soon as they have a sniffle :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

reminds me of that "play the ****in' note" scene in father ted, no offense op

id say get out of there op. look for a new start

• Advertisement

A stroll? I work in a truck garage and we have a parts department which is on the other side of the building so I had to WAlk to get parts for the truck I was working on and I met my boss on the way.

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    Where does it say he went for a stroll?

My understanding of this is that he is back in work and was walking to get parts in his job?

Your spot on. We have a parts department and it's on other side of building so I had to walk to it to get parts to continue repairing the job I was on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

maybe the boss is just under stress. when im under lots of stress i get pissed off like hell. still though, i would expect at least an apology from the boss for what he said to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Expecting to be spoken to in a manner that is not crude, intimidating and abusive is the same as looking for a promotion? There are ways and means of airing grievances, and proper channels in which to do this. This is 2015 - there is no excuse for people in a workplace to be speaking to others like that - regardless of what rank they are or what the person has done.

stupid idiotic comment

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, bullying is not acceptable, and there are health and safety laws about it. But a one-off incident is not bullying. So if the boss is not rude to you in future, then you can do nothing about the fact that he was rude once.

Suggesting that you could lose your job because you get sick is actually allowed: having a doctor's certificate explains but does not excuse your illness. (That's the HR-ese way of looking at it.). If you do not maintain adequate health to do the job, then you can indeed get put on a disciplinary process, which may eventually lead to getting fired.

Now, most reasonable empployers won't behave like this: they know that human beings get sick occasionally - and that in most cases they recover and go to be productive workers again. But if an employer is looking for a reason to get rid of someone, then sickness can be the deciding factor. (We know from other threads that in some companies, if you have a 3rd instance of sick leave in a year that's an automatic verbal warning.)

It seems to me that either your boss had a bad day - he might apologise (or he might not) but probably didn't mean it. OR your boss is an a** who is breaking the law and if his behaviour continues then you can probably sue him for compensation (after getting advice from a real lawyer, of course).

But if he really is an a**, then life could get very miserable and difficult before you get any compensation. Some people may be willing to face this. Others would prefer to simply find another job. Only you can tell which group you fit into.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

And I'm sure you can see why posters on here are pissed at you!!
    How about an apology to the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RossD12

Look for a new job, once you get one, call your current boss and tell him you quit! But your boss should really apologise because I wouldn't work for someone who would say that to my face!

Thanks for the advice bar 1.
    I have since been looking online for a job and I have seen the owner twice in workshop and he hasn't approached me so he must've meant it.
    I I was sacked is there any procedure after it?
    Unfair dismissal or anything

Thanks for the advice bar 1.
    I have since been looking online for a job and I have seen the owner twice in workshop and he hasn't approached me so he must've meant it.
    I I was sacked is there any procedure after it?
    Unfair dismissal or anything

It depends on how clever they are about it.
    You could make a work error in the morning and this could be the first step in managing you out the door. Not much can be done if they do it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

There's more to this story than meets the eye. The reaction of the manager would most likely indicate an underperforming employee with this being the last straw for the manager. His reaction seems to be a build up rather than an isolated reaction.

I've seen this many times myself. Poor employees are often hard to accept but then an underperforming employee who goes off on extended sick leave or maternity leave can be nearly rage inducing especially when there is a strong desire to replace the employee anyway due to their performance alone irrespective of any leave.

However, the way in which the manager in question handled this was completely inappropriate and out of line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

zarquon wrote: »
    There's more to this story than meets the eye. The reaction of the manager would most likely indicate an underperforming employee with this being the last straw for the manager. His reaction seems to be a build up rather than an isolated reaction.

Could just as likely be a bullying imbecile of a manager having a bad day and deciding to let off steam by shouting at someone.

Which from reading the OP's posts on the matter would seem the more likely scenario.

Just t give a background on this fella. Basically if he takes a disliking to someone he can be really bad.
    He basically bullied a young lad to force him to leave. He doesn't like firing people and I was told this this morning.
    He'll basically make someone feel so uncomfortable about working here that they'll leave and after having a chat with a lad who's been here a good few years that that's what he's trying to do. And that I should expect more bursts like that.
    I'm only going to stay here until I find another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have been in this situation and you are better off leaving as soon as you can find something else.

I was bullied for years by the owner of the business I worked in and eventually left. Prior to me other people were bulled out & since me there have been other candidates. These people always need somebody to feed on & unfortunately you are the current victim.

Look for another job - I know it's not easy but keep plugging away until something comes up. In my case, the longer I stayed there the more determined he was to get me out so the nastier he became.

Best of luck OP

Thanks again for the advice.
    This morning he came in and gave out fcuk to a different lad over something then he came over to me. I was working away minding my own business getting stuck in to the job and he called my name and I was expecting an apology but instead he lashed out at me again and again referred to me being out sick and used bad language again and Valle me a useless waste of his time and energy. Saying I cost him money by not being in. I was sick for god sake. Anyway twice he called waste of money and called me a useless pr1ck and that it's a joke and he disgusted that I'm still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

This morning he came in and gave out fcuk to a different lad over something then he came over to me. I was working away minding my own business getting stuck in to the job and he called my name and I was expecting an apology but instead he lashed out at me again and again referred to me being out sick and used bad language again and Valle me a useless waste of his time and energy. Saying I cost him money by not being in. I was sick for god sake. Anyway twice he called waste of money and called me a useless pr1ck and that it's a joke and he disgusted that I'm still here.

He sounds like an a$$ - is he the owner or is there someone above him you can talk to?
    If not then you can continue to record incidents like this which may be useful in future. If he doesn't fire anyone but wants you to leave in on your own accord so he is not done for unfair dismissal. Thats what is sounds like to me.

How long you want to put up with it is up to you. and weither you want to fight back, argue your point, get him to point out the times you have been lazy/or a bad employee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

obriendj wrote: »
    He sounds like an a$$ - is he the owner or is there someone above him you can talk to?
    If not then you can continue to record incidents like this which may be useful in future. If he doesn't fire anyone but wants you to leave in on your own accord so he is not done for unfair dismissal. Thats what is sounds like to me.

How long you want to put up with it is up to you. and weither you want to fight back, argue your point, get him to point out the times you have been lazy/or a bad employee.

Could very well be true. In such circumstances, there might be grounds for constructive dismissal. Leaving off your own bat because it is impossible to stay there.

TBH if this is the way it's going down then my advice is get out ASAP and don't be bothering with the legalities of taking a case. It's possible to do but who what's the hastle.

Start looking for a job where you'll be treated with respect for the work you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Don't let him run you out of your job. By all means explore alternatives but don't jump ship until you have something better lined up.

You did nothing wrong and there's no reason why you should voluntarily forfeit your job and save your boss from complying with his responsibilities as an employer if he wants rid of you.

Other people on this thread have referred to how he will push you to resign so as to avoid an unfair dismissal action. This may be so but his actions so far do not appear to be those of a smart man with a plan so much as a bullying idiot. If this is how he will continue to act then he is creating a tremendous exposure on his part to a constructive dismissal action down the line.

Begin taking notes of all of your interactions with him where you feel that he is acting abusive. Changes to your work situation and arrangements should also be documented and consider requesting reasons for them if they appear odd. So far you only have two incidents but if it builds into a pattern then consider going to a solicitor. Bear in mind that you're not doing anything wrong in trying to hold onto your job, or seeking recompense if you are unfairly pushed out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I know a lot of people are saying don't let him bully you out of a job, and they are right too. But just be careful as this kind of treatment can wear you down. I was in a job where both bosses took a dislike to me, made me feel like I was useless at my job, told me I wouldn't qualify (as an accountant) etc. It did have an affect on me and took me a while to build up my confidence again in my abilities once I was gone from there. Hopefully you have a thick enough skin for him. Do see if you have a line manager, department manager, someone else that you can report him too. Do keep a record of the incidents also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement