Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 21: American Top Team vs Blackzilians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ladbrokes have this priced up now if anyone wants a punt?

7ae28288f873aae119bdf00600eb923a.png

I thought Hassan would be favourite based on what we've seen so far.

Interesting to see Usman favourite at a short-ish price considering he won a reasonably comfortable decision in week 1 but hasn't really been seen or heard of since. Do they know something we don't about what's going to happen over the next few episodes before the finale?

Either way, I'll have a small punt on Hassan for interest at that price even though I haven't really been impressed with anyone on this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

with you on hayder for value
    wouldnt touch carl at 11/2
    bit sceptical as to how usman is such a short priced fav also

mailburner wrote: »
    with you on hayder for value
    wouldnt touch carl at 11/2
    bit sceptical as to how usman is such a short priced fav also

Blackzilian's 1/2 to be the winning team too, ATT 11/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Paully D wrote: »
    Blackzilian's 1/2 to be the winning team too, ATT 11/8.

it looks a gift that
    hayder had a tough fight there so wont be rescuing them for a while id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I haven't watched the last few episodes, how do they determine the winning fighter if this season isn't an elimination bracket?
    And the winning team is simply the most points at the end of it all right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    I haven't watched the last few episodes, how do they determine the winning fighter if this season isn't an elimination bracket?
    And the winning team is simply the most points at the end of it all right?

Winner of the season is the team with the most points. I think both coaches pick a guy from each team to fight at the finale, and Dana/the UFC also pick 1 fight.

The outcome is that there will only be 2 TUF fights at the TUF finale I believe.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Winner of the season is the team with the most points. I think both coaches pick a guy from each team to fight at the finale, and Dana/the UFC also pick 1 fight.

The outcome is that there will only be 2 TUF fights at the TUF finale I believe.

And for the purposes of the show, the coaches pick is the "TUF winner", is that right?
    I'm just thinking that there's a very real opportunity to get one over the bookie here. It's basically a two horse race, the decision has already been made. If somebody was able to find out they could guarantee a profit

Mellor wrote: »
    And for the purposes of the show, the coaches pick is the "TUF winner", is that right?
    I'm just thinking that there's a very real opportunity to get one over the bookie here. It's basically a two horse race, the decision has already been made. If somebody was able to find out they could guarantee a profit

Yep. I made a nice few quid on The Apprentice years ago thanks to this. The bookmakers stopped offering odds on the show after that series unfortunately. Why they offer odds on anything that's pre-recorded is beyond me but anyway, if they're there to be got at we might as well shoot.

That's why I'm extremely skeptical about the Usman price in that they must know or have heard something. There's just no way on earth anyone who has followed the show could make him a 13/8 favourite based on what we have seen thus far. He won a scrappy decision in the 1st fight and hasn't been seen or heard from since.

Though I've been trying to place a bet on Hassan just there and can't see to get it to work even though the market is still listed on Oddschecker. I'll fire them an email and see what the story is. Doesn't look good though, they might have pulled it. :(

Well I guess we know what the bookies knew about Usman now! :pac: The market has been pulled too it seems. It's nowhere to be seen on Oddschecker any more.

Certainly shaping up to be an Usman v Hassan finale now you'd think?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

Pretty sure Usman has been touted as a future contender for a little while now. Remember reading an article about him.
    They were expecting big things from him which could have contributed to his short odds.

• Advertisement

Montgomery has been signed up anyway as he is scheduled to fight on the Machida v Romero card. It'll be interesting to see who else gets signed. Usman and Hayder will for sure. I can't say I'd be too keen on any of the other ATT guys if I were the UFC.

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Required-To-Make-Adjustments-To-Machida-Vs-Romero-Event?utm_campaign=UFC&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1434750472
    Bouts scheduled for UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: MACHIDA vs. ROMERO:

• A middleweight bout that features TUF Brazil 3 champion Antonio Carlos Junior (5-1; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) versus fellow TUF winner Eddie “Truck” Gordon (8-3; Uniondale, N.Y.)

• Middleweight Steve Bosse (10-1; St-Jean Sur Richelieu, Quebec, Canada) vs. Thiago Santos (10-3; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

• Featherweights Hacran Dias (22-3-1; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) vs. Levan Makashvili (10-1; Oceanside, NY)

• Hard-hitting welterweight Alex Oliveira (11-2-1, 1 NC; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), who most recently defeated KJ Noons, vs. UFC newcomer Joe Merritt (6-0; Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.).

• Welterweights Leandro “Buscape” Silva (17-2-1, 1 NC; Sao Paulo, Brazil) vs. Lewis Gonzalez (10-1; Turlock, Calif.), also making his UFC debut

• A battle between hungry UFC newcomers and welterweights Steve Montgomery (8-2; Boca Raton, Fla.) vs. Tony Sims (11-2; Denver, Colo.)

The market is back on Ladbrokes.

Usman into 1/1 from 13/8, Hayder into 9/4 from 4's. Everyone else 9's +.

Blackzilian's now 1/12 to win from 1/2. ATT out to 11/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ATT coach Dan. What an asshole. Challenging a non fighter to a grappling match with one hand tied behind his back. Part of me wishes glen took him on and tapped him

Steve Montgomery suffered a heavy KO on the Machida/Romero card last night.
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    ATT coach Dan. What an asshole. Challenging a non fighter to a grappling match with one hand tied behind his back. Part of me wishes glen took him on and tapped him

Yeah, he's a dick. He has actively made me want to see ATT fighters get beat these days purely down to how much of an arsehole he has been on this show :pac:

Shocked that the referee didn't stop that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

joke really. he was done for. How the other guy let hm take his neck like that was ridiculous though

akelly02 wrote: »
    joke really. he was done for. How the other guy let hm take his neck like that was ridiculous though

Looked like Jackson thought the referee was jumping in to stop the fight when he (the referee) grabbed Jackson's hand. That seemed to throw him off a bit. For someone who "popped something in his back" the day before, Graves seemed suspiciously sprightly on fight day.

I hate to sound all tin-foil hat, but is it just a massive coincidence that what happened this week happened when ATT needed a win to bring it to a winner takes all fight on the last episode of the series? It certainly makes for better television.

I'm going to say that if that fight took place any other week, it would have been stopped and Blackzilians awarded the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I only watched it this morning and I was very much 50/50 on the stoppage. For me he was barely just about doing enough to keep himself in it until I saw him at the end and he could barely stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Looked like Jackson thought the referee was jumping in to stop the fight when he (the referee) grabbed Jackson's hand. That seemed to throw him off a bit. For someone who "popped something in his back" the day before, Graves seemed suspiciously sprightly on fight day.

I hate to sound all tin-foil hat, but is it just a massive coincidence that what happened this week happened when ATT needed a win to bring it to a winner takes all fight on the last episode of the series? It certainly makes for better television.

I'm going to say that if that fight took place any other week, it would have been stopped and Blackzilians awarded the win.

Agree. Looked staged being honest

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Any ref who let a fighter take that sort of punishment should never ref again.... I find it suspect because as I understand it these fights are classed as "exhibitions" and so maybe the ref's aren't from the Nevada State Commission? (anyone know?)
    You certainly don't seem to see the usual names reffing them. If the ref is a UFC guy then I call bull sh*t on the whole thing.

All that said, Mike Graves is certainly one hard mofo. Jackson should have simply stood up and let the ref try to restart the fight on their feet and it would have quickly been seen to be a farce and (hopefully) stopped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Your tin-foil hat theory totally ignores that if they were going to try to help ATT win surely they would have just called the low blow, which is the only reason why Graves ended up in that position in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

The low blow was very easily missed in fairness. The blackzilian fighters foot connected cleanly with the midsection.

Why? Graves too little or no head shots. Most were defended or near misses. He took a lot of punishment to the side of his body but that's it.

DeVore wrote: »
    Any ref who let a fighter take that sort of punishment should never ref again
    I disagree. The fighter stupidly kept switching to the body and letting his head recover. If he stuck with landing headshots it would have been stopped.
    I find it suspect because as I understand it these fights are classed as "exhibitions" and so maybe the ref's aren't from the Nevada State Commission? (anyone know?)

You certainly don't seem to see the usual names reffing them. If the ref is a UFC guy then I call bull sh*t on the whole thing.
    It's in Florida, not Nevada.
    The guy was a FSAC ref I'd assume.
    All that said, Mike Graves is certainly one hard mofo. Jackson should have simply stood up and let the ref try to restart the fight on their feet and it would have quickly been seen to be a farce and (hopefully) stopped!
    Yeah. Jackson did everything he could to not win that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

John_D80 wrote: »
    The low blow was very easily missed in fairness. The blackzilian fighters foot connected cleanly with the midsection.

I agree it could be missed but the poster was pretty much saying it was rigged and if that was the case then the ref would have definitely stepped in when Graves was shouting about a low shot.

The fight could have been stopped but it's not outrageous that it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just me who thinks it wasn't as bad as people are making out? He was defending himself. Sure he was taking punishment but he was defending himself. Intelligently at that! Why should it be stopped? He was obviously still in the fight.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just me who thinks it wasn't as bad as people are making out? He was defending himself. Sure he was taking punishment but he was defending himself. Intelligently at that! Why should it be stopped? He was obviously still in the fight.

Couldn't agree more

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Curling up into a ball is not defending yourself intelligently. After 30 seconds of his opponent just picking where to hit him without any regard for being hit back, I would have said the fight should have been over. Those repeated knees to the ribs were particularly bad, not to mention dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The TUF finale in Vegas is looking like a complete turd.

Barely 25% of tickets sold. Dana will be giving them out like sweeties all weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The TUF finale in Vegas is looking like a complete turd.

Barely 25% of tickets sold. Dana will be giving them out like sweeties all weekend.
    it was to be in Florida no?

Advertisement