Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Text app (like Cabbage)

Options
  • 14-04-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

Is there any other text type app like Cabbage floating around?

Ive used cabbage for years but since upgrading i cant figure out how to get it on my new phone.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Try Swift SMS, and there's a new one, Irish Webtext, which is not as good as Cabbage or Swift. All those mentioned are Irish developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

ok, ive downloaded the swiftsms app. But cannot for the life of me understand how to add an account.

the first screen i get is the user name and password, am i right in thinking that should be phone number, and the password for my webtext account?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ok, ive downloaded the swiftsms app. But cannot for the life of me understand how to add an account.

the first screen i get is the user name and password, am i right in thinking that should be phone number, and the password for my webtext account?

Yes. You enter the same details that you enter when you are on your provider's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Mightytext is not bad, as an alternative... (on phone so can't link, sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Is there any other text type app like Cabbage floating around?

Ive used cabbage for years but since upgrading i cant figure out how to get it on my new phone.

Any help would be great.

Out of interest, what is the problem with Cabbage on your new phone? I'd be lost without this app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

vienne86 wrote: »
    Out of interest, what is the problem with Cabbage on your new phone? I'd be lost without this app.

It doesn't work on my phone anymore either. I've switched to swiftsms.

OK, so I've just seen that Cabbage is no longer in the Playstore....that's a pity as I use it a lot. I see there is a Vodafone SMS (Unofficial) app - has anyone tried it?

OK, so I've just seen that Cabbage is no longer in the Playstore....that's a pity as I use it a lot. I see there is a Vodafone SMS (Unofficial) app - has anyone tried it?

I've changed to swiftsms and so far so great. It does all the major phone networks just like cabbage does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

does Swift save the sent texts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Used to find textdroid fine but haven't used it for ages.

To be honest, I just find things like What'sapp far handier these days.

• Advertisement

does Swift save the sent texts?

Yes, it saves them to your main android message app rather than in the swift app itself though.

Yes, it saves them to your main android message app rather than in the swift app itself though.

That sounds good - that's where you want them. Can it deal with the Captcha automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

That sounds good - that's where you want them. Can it deal with the Captcha automatically?

No SwiftSMS makes no attempt to automatically solve captchas.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    No SwiftSMS makes no attempt to automatically solve captchas.

Well the Captcha app for Cabbage was not reliable so I uninstalled it anyway. I've installed SwiftSMS and think I might prefer it to cabbage! I like the way it just dumps the sent messages in with the other outgoing messages....with cabbage you have two apps storing incoming and outgoing messages, so I think I will be abandoning it in favour of SwiftSMS. Thanks for the advice Fluffy.

Well the Captcha app for Cabbage was not reliable so I uninstalled it anyway. I've installed SwiftSMS and think I might prefer it to cabbage! I like the way it just dumps the sent messages in with the other outgoing messages....with cabbage you have two apps storing incoming and outgoing messages, so I think I will be abandoning it in favour of SwiftSMS. Thanks for the advice Fluffy.

It was less advice, more a factual statement, but I'm glad it helped you out.
    I too find SwiftSMS better :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Where does swift store the outgoing.

I sent a test to a number I've never texted before, and I can't find it.

Look in your phone Log - surely they will show up there - and they should show up in your normal messaging.

As vienne86 pointed out, it will show up in your normal messaging app, regardless if you've text the number before or not.

Except for Android 5 and above

As vienne86 pointed out, it will show up in your normal messaging app, regardless if you've text the number before or not.

Except for Android 5.1 and above

And what happens for Android 5.1?????

And what happens for Android 5.1?????

Absolutely nothing :(
    Android 5 shutdown a loophole that allowed apps write to the sent SMS database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Absolutely nothing :(
    Android 5.1 shutdown a loophole that allowed apps write to the sent SMS database.

I had my phone rooted & was using app ops root App to write sent msgs on Android 5.01.
    Since I flashed a factory image to get 5.1 I haven't rerooted my phone but sent messages are still written to my sms app. Strange

Most likely because the permission you switched on is still enabled, even after the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Except for Android 5.1 and above

I'm changing phones (for 4g) & it will have Android 5.0.2. Can Swiftsms write the sent messages in the messaging app? The phone isn't rooted. Thanks

jgbyr wrote: »
    I'm changing phones (for 4g) & it will have Android 5.0.2. Can Swiftsms write the sent messages in the messaging app? The phone isn't rooted. Thanks

I've updated my comments above, the loophole was closing in 5.0 so, no.
    On Lollipop the only way to save sent SMS messages is through rooting :(

I've updated my comments above, the loophole was closing in 5.0 so, no.
    On Lollipop the only way to save sent SMS messages is through rooting :(

Well that's a pain. Not in any hurry to buy a new phone with Lollipop anyway TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

The "Irish Webtext" App is up since June and it's fine. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hoverapps.irishwebtext&hl=en

You can use the Vodafone Captcha App with it ,not sure about other providers.

Anyone know if there are webtext apps for Apple? Thinking of getting an iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

In using the Irish webtext app for the past week. Its an OK app until I discover something better.

How does this Irish webtext app compare with SwiftSMS or Cabbage? How does the captcha perform? Does this app save sent messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. Any open-source alternative to Cabbage?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

We moved SwiftSMS over to Github recently
    https://github.com/SwiftSMS/Android

Didn't do much else to make it open source, as in, no documentation was created etc. But the code is all up there and I would love to have a few contributors moving the app forward.

Advertisement