Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway motorists really grinding my gears

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Control box at N6/N59 junction has metal bollards protecting it now from attacks by wayward motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

snubbleste wrote: »
    Control box at N6/N59 junction has metal bollards protecting it now from attacks by wayward motorists.

What about attacks from space?

What about attacks from space?
    Galway City Council have issued a statement stating they have friendly relations with all extraterrestrials and will not be planning for such an eventuality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Galway City Council have issued a statement stating they have friendly relations with all extraterrestrials and will not be planning for such an eventuality

Yes that ties in to how the roundabouts were supposed to work. The city council knew that putting high-flow roundabouts into a small university city would seriously penalise walking and cycling and cause worse traffic jams. So they did a deal with the extra terrestrials so that, at roundabouts, cyclists and pedestrians get beamed up to space and then beamed back down on the other side.

That way, the city could continue to function despite the use of incompetent road designs.

That deal is presumably the basis for the statement on ETs from the city council.that Snubbleste is referring to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

No surprise. I think Padraig Conneely is an extra-terrestrial!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I was wondering when coming from B&Q along the Western Distributor Road and taking a left at the roundabout towards Westside there are two lanes at first with enough space for about 6 cars on the left lane until the bus lane begins. Traffic then coming from Salthill would be in the right lane after the roundabout heading towards Westside. Anyway it seems that traffic from B&Q don't use the space along the left lane to filter in with traffic from the right lane. Most cars seem to try get into the right lane immediately after exiting the roundabout.

My question is - Is it acceptable to move along the left until the bus stop begins and then filter in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I was wondering when coming from B&Q along the Western Distributor Road and taking a left at the roundabout towards Westside there are two lanes at first with enough space for about 6 cars on the left lane until the bus lane begins. Traffic then coming from Salthill would be in the right lane after the roundabout heading towards Westside. Anyway it seems that traffic from B&Q don't use the space along the left lane to filter in with traffic from the right lane. Most cars seem to try get into the right lane immediately after exiting the roundabout.

My question is - Is it acceptable to move along the left until the bus stop begins and then filter in?

What are the markings on the road before the bus lane starts, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

bobbyss wrote: »
    What are the markings on the road before the bus lane starts, do you know?

There are arrows indicating to move into the right lane which makes me think its alright to filter down as far as the start of the bus lane??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

[ul]
    [li]Coming out of the UHG hospital onto the Browne Roundabout at 6pm. There is now a yellow box which few gives two hoots about (granted there are the minority that are nice).[/li]
    [li]Still the Bodkin Junction coming from the bridge is my main issue with cars zooming into the left.[/li]
    [li]Dock road, cars will skip from the right lane into the left lane.[/li]
    [/ul]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I was in a taxi recently going up Bohermore and the driver made some comment about a cyclist. I mentioned that I cycle. Going through the roundabout he took the wrong lane and asked me - "What lane would you have taken on your bike?"...

A great debate kicked off and I got an insight into the mind of Galway Taxi drivers. Something along the lines of "It's a local agreement that on Mon-Fri between 8am-6.30pm you should use the right lane, at other times and on the weekends you're meant to use the left lane..." :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

J o e wrote: »
    I was in a taxi recently going up Bohermore and the driver made some comment about a cyclist. I mentioned that I cycle. Going through the roundabout he took the wrong lane and asked me - "What lane would you have taken on your bike?"...

A great debate kicked off and I got an insight into the mind of Galway Taxi drivers. Something along the lines of "It's a local agreement that on Mon-Fri between 8am-6.30pm you should use the right lane, at other times and on the weekends you're meant to use the left lane..." :confused:

They like to pass very close to me when I'm cycling. A few close calls with our legendary taxis drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

J o e wrote: »

Did you ask him who this " local agreement" is with?
    The problem I have with taxi drivers is they take the driving they do at night( breakneck speed through amber lights, wide arcs around corners, driving along the middle of the road) into their day time driving and think it's the norm.
    I'd make everyone of them re-take the driving test every year, make them have basic first aid qualifications and MOT the car every year too.
    They're taking fee paying customers into cars with nothing more than a basic driving license as a qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're making it sound like a driving licence is not enough to drive with, when it actually is. Even with passengers.

Taxi drivers also have a SPSV licence so they do have extra qualifications over the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Came in monivea road to carnmore cross this morning, 80km zone, fair few houses either side of the road.
    Didn't stop a Kia sportage i think it was fron overtaking me easily doing well over 120km on that stretch of road.
    Whoever it was, was only a fcuking dick head.

Panthro wrote: »
    Came in monivea road to carnmore cross this morning, 80km zone, fair few houses either side of the road.
    Didn't stop a Kia sportage i think it was fron overtaking me easily doing well over 120km on that stretch of road.
    Whoever it was, was only a fcuking dick head.

80kmh on that road is a joke, should be 100kmh. Big wide open road with a good surface keeping it to 100 is hard never mind 80.

80kmh on that road is a joke, should be 100kmh. Big wide open road with a good surface keeping it to 100 is hard never mind 80.
    But there are houses either side of the road. That's why the speed limit is at 80kph.

But there are houses either side of the road. That's why the speed limit is at 80kph.

Plenty of roads have houses either side and are much worse roads than that and have 100kmh speed limits, in fact bar motorways every road in the country has houses either side of it.

It's a stupid speed limit, if it wasn't for the fact we have the worlds most ridiculous speed limit, 50kmh limit on the dual carriage way linking the headford road roundabout and the tuam road junction then this one would look even more silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Forgetting the limit for a moment, what do you think is a safe speed for that road on a fine day with only moderate traffic on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

parking wherever the hell they like bothers me. Here's on Friday afternoon parked ON the pedestrian crossing in salthill. What really bugs me is that it's less than 100 Mtrs from the Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

And here's another one a couple of weeks ago. This was taken after I'd politely asked another motorist trying to park on the crossing that it was dangerous and illegal. This car simply slotted in after and walked off into Salthill about their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

People taking pictures of parked cars grinds my gears

Forgetting the limit for a moment, what do you think is a safe speed for that road on a fine day with only moderate traffic on the road?

I'd feel perfectly safe driving in the road at 120kmh and have done. That's obviously never going to be set though as our over cautious laws only allow that speed on motorways (where the limit should be much higher) so 100kmh as I said earlier would be a suitable speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Think you misunderstood, I came in monivea road to carnmore cross. I'm talking from egans pub to carnmore cross.
    It's not a particularly good stretch of road, plenty of houses either side. 100km would be plenty on it.

I think the limit on the Q Bridge is 50k.
    50!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

50!

Someone was killed in that bridge a few years ago.

Panthro wrote: »
    Think you misunderstood, I came in monivea road to carnmore cross. I'm talking from egans pub to carnmore cross.
    It's not a particularly good stretch of road, plenty of houses either side. 100km would be plenty on it.

Sorry I misread and understood it was from carnmore cross into town.
    50!

Another joke of a limit should be 100kmh.

Sorry I misread and understood it was from carnmore cross into town.

Another joke of a limit should be 100kmh.

It is incredible to think that it is 50.
    I would bet 95% of traffic breaks the law in driving over it. I think the reason is because all roads in city limits have a 50 limit but I am open to correction on that.

Bothar na Treabh. 50k? Maybe 99% break the law. By the way, how small is that 50k sign on that road? Perhaps the size of a stamp. A tourist, coming to our ... beautiful city, has no chance at all. Here he sees a fine road and puts the foot down. If the council are serious about the speed limit on these two rads let's have BIG speed limit signs.

I hav enever seen a car stopped on any of these roads for speeding.

It is incredible to think that it is 50.
    I would bet 95% of traffic breaks the law in driving over it. I think the reason is because all roads in city limits have a 50 limit but I am open to correction on that.
    Bothar na Treabh. 50k? Maybe 99% break the law. By the way, how small is that 50k sign on that road? Perhaps the size of a stamp. A tourist, coming to our ... beautiful city, has no chance at all. Here he sees a fine road and puts the foot down. If the council are serious about the speed limit on these two rads let's have BIG speed limit signs. I hav enever seen a car stopped on any of these roads for speeding.
    :confused:
    QB 50kph because it is in an urban area.
    BnadT is 50kph also because of the entrance to Glenburren Park. The speed limit signs are large when they change from one limit to another - small signs are used as a reminder along routes.
    If a tourist/anyone puts 'the foot down', they are deliberately committing an offence as the speed limits are highly visible. There is no excuse.
    Plenty of speed traps on QB & BnadT in the past.

:confused:
    QB 50kph because it is in an urban area.
    BnadT is 50kph also because of the entrance to Glenburren Park. The speed limit signs are large when they change from one limit to another - small signs are used as a reminder along routes.
    If a tourist/anyone puts 'the foot down', they are deliberately committing an offence as the speed limits are highly visible. There is no excuse.
    Plenty of speed traps on QB & BnadT in the past.

Having blanket speed limits just because you are in a certain area is stupid. It should be done by road and the QB limit should be raised and bother na dtreabh should be raised without a shadow of a doubt it's probably the most stupid speed limit in the world. An entrance to an estate is not a reason to have a low limit, houses and secondary roads enter 100kmh speed limits on every national route in the country.

• Advertisement

An entrance to an estate is not a reason to have a low limit, houses and secondary roads enter 100kmh speed limits on every national route in the country.
    According to GalwayCityCouncil it is a valid reason.

Advertisement