Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway motorists really grinding my gears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The bottom line is the worst car drivers bar none come from Tipperary. If you see a TN,TS, or T Reg keep well back,they could do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

snubbleste wrote: »
    Traffic lights at QB/NewcastleRd junction will be out of action all week.
    Much fun.

Why all week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Why all week?

Someone crashed into the control box and flattened it, no replacement box it has to be ordered in from overseas so it's a mess on the bridge, could they not put a Guard there at peak times or is that too much to ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Haven't seen traffic that bad since that saint and his stupid bones were being paraded around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Chronic this evening. Took me about an hour to go three miles:(

A guard or two at the Newcastle side of the bridge would be very helpful during the rush hours - but no sign of them today unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have they not heard of temporary lights? They can put temporary lights at roadworks whenever they need to, but they can't do it here because they need to order a box in from abroad??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I left work in Parkmore at 6.30pm this evening. I went home to Knocknacarra via Briarhill junction, N6 dual carriageway, Monivea Rd., Wellpark Rd., Lough Atalia Rd., the Docks, Father Griffin Rd. and Salthill. I got home at 7.20pm.

My girlfriend left the same industrial estate at 5.45pm. She came home via the Tuam Rd., Bothar na dTreabh, Dyke Rd., Woodquay, Nun's Island, Father Griffin Rd. and Salthill. She got home at 7.30pm.

Madness! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I left work in Parkmore at 6.30pm this evening. I went home to Knocknacarra via Briarhill junction, N6 dual carriageway, Monivea Rd., Wellpark Rd., Lough Atalia Rd., the Docks, Father Griffin Rd. and Salthill. I got home at 7.20pm.

My girlfriend left the same industrial estate at 5.45pm. She came home via the Tuam Rd., Bothar na dTreabh, Dyke Rd., Woodquay, Nun's Island, Father Griffin Rd. and Salthill. She got home at 7.30pm.

That's a bit of an indirect route on a bicycle. Did you stop for a few beverages along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

As you both work in teh same place maybe she could chill out, have a coffee and then you both come home in the same car, she would be home earlier and there would be one less car on the road as well

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's a bit of an indirect route on a bicycle. Did you stop for a few beverages along the way?

Bicycle? We both drive.

• Advertisement

Webbs wrote: »
    As you both work in teh same place maybe she could chill out, have a coffee and then you both come home in the same car, she would be home earlier and there would be one less car on the road as well

We work in the same industrial estate, not in the same workplace :) We start and finish work at different, varying times, and we both don't always go home straight away. Hence, we don't car pool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We work in the same industrial estate, not in the same workplace :) We start and finish work at different, varying times, and we both don't always go home straight away. Hence, we don't car pool :)

I'm sorry, but you can either run two cars from your house to the same industrial estate each day, or you can bitch about traffic.

But not both.

Madness, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Take a deep breath everyone, thanks :)

I'm sorry, but you can either run two cars from your house to the same industrial estate each day, or you can bitch about traffic.

But not both.

Madness, indeed.

:confused:
    Eh..... Okay then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

But not both.

Madness, indeed.

Why can't they do both?
    I think they can and should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Haven't seen traffic that bad since that saint and his stupid bones were being paraded around.

Edgy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

But not both.

Madness, indeed.

What a contrary post. He already said they start and finish at different times. Maybe you are down with going into work an hour early and then waiting around for another hour in the evening but I'd say the majority of people would want to get to in and out of work as quick as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hoki wrote: »
    What a contrary post. He already said they start and finish at different times. Maybe you are down with going into work an hour early and then waiting around for another hour in the evening but I'd say the majority of people would want to get to in and out of work as quick as possible.

Then to paraphrase Mrs. O'Bumble

You can have everyone in their own car

or you can have people getting to work (or school) in a reasonable time

but not both

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Then to paraphrase Mrs. O'Bumble

You can have everyone in their own car

or you can have people getting to work (or school) in a reasonable time

but not both

What an odd post.

By turning it into a general statement about traffic (adding school) you are coming to a false conclusion.

If only life's problems were as simple to solve as you think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Thread needs to be turned off and then on again.
    Thankfully I get to miss most of the traffic, I drive against the stream of cars on my way home from night shifts but sure whatcanyado!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hoki wrote: »

One would be going in early, and the other waiting afterwards - or maybe they could use the time to go to the gym, shop, whatever. A slight inconvenience for each. Or one could use public transport for one leg of the journey.

No one gets anywhere as quick as possible with the current levels of car use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Too many cars into too small an area/road network in Galway..less cars more buses and bikes /more roads ?
    Will the gardai ever enforce constant breaking of red lights on QCB esp newcastle end, every day i see this

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

One would be going in early, and the other waiting afterwards - or maybe they could use the time to go to the gym, shop, whatever. A slight inconvenience for each. Or one could use public transport for one leg of the journey.

- Maybe they have kids to collect
    - Maybe they have work for doing at home in the evening (dial into us calls)
    - Maybe they have chores for doing

Maybe maybe maybe.......

As I have said before some posters on here seem to think that only they have lives and everyone else car journeys are nothing but a meaningless jolly and they should get off the road

Hence why we need the bypass, would make this sort of journey so much more straightforward an fast.

I hate these suggestions of, "oh why not inconvenience yourself (every single bloody day" by leaving earlier and getting home later".

People are entitled to leave for work and leave work when they want not be hanging around or having to get up earlier to use one car. Also there are multiple other reasons why people need more than one car with them, they may go to different places after work or need to take a different route home, they may go places at lunch, they might need the flexibility of being able to leave at different times etc etc.

The aim should be to get traffic moving better so people can make their car commutes quicker and easier not to cause massive inconvenience by making them car share or use public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

- Maybe they have kids to collect
    - Maybe they have work for doing at home in the evening (dial into us calls)
    - Maybe they have chores for doing

Maybe maybe maybe.......

As I have said before some posters on here seem to think that only they have lives and everyone else car journeys are nothing but a meaningless jolly and they should get off the road

Makes me think of this

Sonder
    n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So you pay hundreds in road tax, thousands in insurance & fuel taxes, vat, vrt etc & you aren't supposed to drive your car :mad:

The Novena would of been the perfect opportunity for a park & ride especially as so many of the older drivers from out of town are terrified of traffic. Anyone who's been to Oxford can see how well it can work. There are plenty of sites around Knocknara, Headford Road, Ballybrit etc.

The Oxford system is fast, cheap & ultra reliable. You never wait more than 10 mins & the bus drops you in the main shopping street.

Some of us have to drive & I can see a time when we will have to pay for permits to drive in the city like the London congestion charge.

The strange one is why Lough Atalia has been so bad Westbound around 4pm ?

Discodog wrote: »
    So you pay hundreds in road tax, thousands in insurance & fuel taxes, vat, vrt etc & you aren't supposed to drive your car :mad:

The Novena would of been the perfect opportunity for a park & ride especially as so many of the older drivers from out of town are terrified of traffic. Anyone who's been to Oxford can see how well it can work. There are plenty of sites around Knocknara, Headford Road, Ballybrit etc.

The Oxford system is fast, cheap & ultra reliable. You never wait more than 10 mins & the bus drops you in the main shopping street.

Some of us have to drive & I can see a time when we will have to pay for permits to drive in the city like the London congestion charge.

The strange one is why Lough Atalia has been so bad Westbound around 4pm ?

An Oxford style Park and Ride solution would threaten Galway city council's income stream from car parking. Expecting the city council officials to fix the traffic problem is like expecting turkeys to vote for christmas. They need the traffic jams the same way drug addicts need their next score. Even the "idea" of a city without traffic queues is probably threatening for them at a fundamental level.

Ps: There is no such thing as "road tax" in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

An Oxford style Park and Ride solution would threaten Galway city council's income stream from car parking. Expecting the city council officials to fix the traffic problem is like expecting turkeys to vote for christmas. They need the traffic jams the same way drug addicts need their next score. Even the "idea" of a city without traffic queues is probably threatening for them at a fundamental level.

Ps: There is no such thing as "road tax" in this country

You've turned into quite the parody at this stage. Like a self-styled cycling colonel kurtz, you've clearly gone insane.

Mod note, take a day off

• Advertisement

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    You've turned into quite the parody at this stage. Like a self-styled cycling colonel kurtz, you've clearly gone insane.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

The numbers are here in a pre-budget submission from last year.

http://www.galwaycycling.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/GCC_PreBudget2016_Submission_Discussion_Paper_Parking_Levy.pdf

Advertisement