Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Value Couriers? Anyone know one

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

flutered wrote: »
    i second that

For the third time......no they won't!!!

Ring DPD this minute and ask for a quote for insured delivery of a watch to anywhere. They will refuse as they don't insure jewellery.

Ask if you can send at your own risk, again they refuse.

I just rang 5 minutes to check (incase there was a change in policy and there isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

893bet wrote: »
    For the third time......no they won't!!!

Ring DPD this minute and ask for a quote for insured delivery of a watch to anywhere. They will refuse as they don't insure jewellery.

Ask if you can send at your own risk, again they refuse.

I just rang 5 minutes to check (incase there was a change in policy and there isn't).
    I was thinking so, so how do jewellers send items?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

breanach78 wrote: »
    I think so, from broadband, insurance,

Because we don't complain enough or effectively. Plus we're a small and captive market so the companies figure they can get away with it. And IMH anyway I would lay large bets that there operates a nod and a wink cross company dialogue to keep things this way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Because we don't complain enough or effectively. Plus we're a small and captive market so the companies figure they can get away with it. And IMH anyway I would lay large bets that there operates a nod and a wink cross company dialogue to keep things this way.

Agreed, rang fastway and they only offer cover to 50e on jewellery!

I was thinking so, so how do jewellers send items?

I assume they have separate relationships with couriors that private individuals can't avail off.

• Advertisement

Agreed, rand fastway and they only offer cover to 50e on jewellery!

And it rolled on! Ups only cover 500 and won't accept it if I declare it as 2.5k

ANYONE. I ring don't want to know,

DPD told me they don't provide cover outside Ireland.

And it rolled on! Ups only cover 500 and won't accept it if I declare it as 2.5k

ANYONE. I ring don't want to know,

DPD told me they don't provide cover outside Ireland.

There is no one! Sadly. We are too small a market to be worth the risk.

Parcel pro seems to be the only option but even then.....will dpd or dhl etc accept the watch for transport even if you have a separate insurance. They just don't want to carry them regardless.

Is this for your breitling?

There is no one! Sadly. We are too small a market to be worth the risk.

Parcel pro seems to be the only option but even then.....will dpd or dhl etc accept the watch for transport even if you have a separate insurance. They just don't want to carry them regardless.

Is this for your breitling?

Seems crazy as they have to carry them inward insured.

One of them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

2 references from existing members I assume.

What's the charge per parcel roughly? Let's say 5k watch to Europe? Are we talking 1% insurance value or more?

yes

cant remember exactly, around $20 dollars for the last panerai i posted (value £3k) something like that

I have posted 000s of euro worth of watches over the past 5 years, touch wood have never had a parcel go missing

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes

cant remember exactly, around $20 dollars for the last panerai i posted (value £3k) something like that

I have posted 000s of euro worth of watches over the past 5 years, touch wood have never had a parcel go missing

Are you in Ireland?

Who do you use as the courier then?

• Advertisement

Are you in Ireland?

Who do you use as the courier then?

yes

i use an post and parcel pro for insurance

anywatch i send will also be on my all risks, only take it off after delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

There are only 2 options that I'm aware of.

1. Mailboxes Etc who are an agent for FedEx and UPS. They will offer their own third-party insurance, and charge 2% of the value if I remember correctly. This, combined with the high cost of the shipping, makes them very pricey.

2. Try anyvan.ie. It's a service that lets you send anything to any destination. Basically you put up the item you are looking to send, the weight and dimensions, and the collection and delivery areas. Then you receive quotes from couriers and van drivers for the job. I haven't used it for watches, but have sent a few paintings to the UK with this method. In each case, the driver had insurance for up to €10k and was sending regular delivery updates via SMS. The cost for a large painting (5ft x 4ft) was €90 for 2-day delivery. And they will contact the recipient to ensure that there is somebody there to receive the package.
    There is a feeback system on the site, so you can quickly see how many satisfied customers any driver has, and make your own mind up.

yes

i use an post and parcel pro for insurance

anywatch i send will also be on my all risks, only take it off after delivery.

Your not cover tho. I rang my house insurance with full discloser of what I was doing and I would not be covered, kinda makes sense as how can they cover a third party. One may think they are cover but may not be.

Anyway sick of it now and prob going to get someone to deliver from the north cover up to 2.5kgbp for 14gbp.

Crazy to think I will basicly have to go to a different country to find a simple service needed.

Your not cover tho. I rand my house insurance with full discloser of what I was doing and I would not be covered, kinda makes sense as how can they cover a third party. One may think they are cover but may not be.

Anyway sick of it now and prob going to get someone to deliver from the north cover up to 2.5kgbp for 14gbp.

Crazy to think I will basicly have to go to a different country to find a simple service needed.

i use parcel pro

so i am covered

i use parcel pro

so i am covered

Sorry I tho you meant you have it specified on you house insurance for the duration of delivery.

Sorry I tho you meant you have it specified on you house insurance for the duration of delivery.

i do aswell

as in its insured anyway so i just dont take it off until delivered

i do aswell

as in its insured anyway so i just dont take it off until delivered

That's where I got my wires crossed so to speak. As I say on my house policy anyway, I wouldn't be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Right have been having some correspondence with DHL on this one, and they have come back to me with the following.

I am really sorry I have just spoken to DHL Ireland, they have advised that they have a new policy in place regarding watches, they are unable to send watches unless you are an account holder.

So opening poster do you know anyone with a DHL account

Advertisement