Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Value Couriers? Anyone know one

Options
  • 14-04-2015 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Have to send a watch to London but any of the mainstream couriers either won't take it or has a limit of 1k dollars on jewellery and even at that they are looking for crazy money to deliver it.

I am not will to sent uninsured or underinsured.

Any one have any details or experience on a company willing to deliver it fully insured for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

How much are you looking at? Will your specified item/house insurance not cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭893bet

I don't think there are any in Ireland couriers in Ireland that do so.

Parcelpro can do insurance I understand but not sure how they work to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A cheap Ryanair flight could end up being cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

spyderski wrote: »
    How much are you looking at? Will your specified item/house insurance not cover it?

I think it's the one watch I have not specified on my house insurance. Value cira 2.5k

A cheap Ryanair flight could end up being cheaper.

Tho of that but have neither time or interest in flying over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Jeweler friend of mine used to just use the ordinary post, no one ever paid any heed to it, AFAIK it always worked for him. Now I'm not suggesting you do this....Bit like the old story of money getting lost in a birthday card envelope, but was grand in a brown envelope.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Jeweler friend of mine used to just use the ordinary post, no one ever paid any heed to it, AFAIK it always worked for him. Now I'm not suggesting you do this....Bit the like the old story of money getting lost in a birthday card envelope, but was grand in a brown envelope.

Like that I sent plenty of watches tracked tro an post but not up to that value. For buyer and seller I'd like it fully insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Where are you located Breanach ? If Dublin , a quick spin up the M1 to Newry and you could send it Royal Mail special delivery. You can get coverage upto GBP2500.

Where are you located Breanach ? If Dublin , a quick spin up the M1 to Newry and you could send it Royal Mail special delivery. You can get coverage upto GBP2500.

Sounds perfect but I am based in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Are you ever North of Galway? Quick stopover in Enniskillen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Open a parcelpro account

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Dpd will insure you for that amount no problem, very reliable courier also.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I use DHL here in Spain and no problem insuring for at least up to 5k. Parcel always lands next day in Europe. Works out at €118 from Spain to Germany, for example.

FdP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I use DHL here in Spain and no problem insuring for at least up to 5k. Parcel always lands next day in Europe. Works out at €118 from Spain to Germany, for example.

FdP

That does make the ryanair option look more tempting. Fly early in the morning, drop off the watch at 9am. Spend the day in museums/galleries or whatever floats your boat, pick up watch at 5 pm and fly home again.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

breanach78 wrote: »
    I think it's the one watch I have not specified on my house insurance. Value cira 2.5k

or why not just add it to the house insurance for a month and take it back off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

blue5000 wrote: »
    That does make the ryanair option look more tempting. Fly early in the morning, drop off the watch at 9am. Spend the day in museums/galleries or whatever floats your boat, pick up watch at 5 pm and fly home again.

One day service of a watch in Central London :rolleyes:

Has a quick scan of DHL Express terms and conditions and the relevant terms on the UK website is with regards to prohibited.

Jewellery, costume jewellery, watches and objects constructed of precious metal and/or stones with a value in excess of £4,000 per waybill.

Would suggest using DHL as I have never lost anything with them, (20 plus years) and anything that was misdirected was found and sent to the correct address.

Dozer Dave wrote: »

No they won't.

There is no Irish courier that cover watches or jewellery.

One day service of a watch in Central London :rolleyes:

Has a quick scan of DHL Express terms and conditions and the relevant terms on the UK website is with regards to prohibited.

Jewellery, costume jewellery, watches and objects constructed of precious metal and/or stones with a value in excess of £4,000 per waybill.

Would suggest using DHL as I have never lost anything with them, (20 plus years) and anything that was misdirected was found and sent to the correct address.

DHL Ireland have different terms and conditions.

Cyrus wrote: »
    or why not just add it to the house insurance for a month and take it back off

Would hpuse insurance cover this type of transit? I suspect not.

Given Dhl or dpd have watches on their prohibited list then I suspect you have violated the terms and conditions of your insurance and it may be voided in the event you need it.

Open a parcelpro account

Is there any cost associated with this? Easy to do?

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Would hpuse insurance cover this type of transit? I suspect not.

Given Dhl or dpd have watches on their prohibited list then I suspect you have violated the terms and conditions of your insurance and it may be voided in the event you need it.

well its all risk,

id fight my corner on it

893bet wrote: »
    Is there any cost associated with this? Easy to do?

no and yes

you just need 2 references

you pay per parcel

well its all risk,

id fight my corner on it

It is an interesting one. I wouldn't like to be relying on it for a 5 k watch in transit from Ireland to Europe personally.

If they can get out of it they will in general.

no and yes

you just need 2 references

you pay per parcel

2 references from existing members I assume.

What's the charge per parcel roughly? Let's say 5k watch to Europe? Are we talking 1% insurance value or more?

Is it not the case that DHL prohibit watches with a value in excess of stg4,000? If your watch is 2.5k then it might work.

DHL (here anyway) charge by the size of the box you use. I've had to send a watch with big box(es) which meant larger DHL packet which also meant higher charge. If you can box your watch up nice and small, you'd use a small packet and it should cost less.

A quick phone call might sort it one way or the other...

FdP

Is it not the case that DHL prohibit watches with a value in excess of stg4,000? If your watch is 2.5k then it might work.

DHL (here anyway) charge by the size of the box you use. I've had to send a watch with big box(es) which meant larger DHL packet which also meant higher charge. If you can box your watch up nice and small, you'd use a small packet and it should cost less.

A quick phone call might sort it one way or the other...

FdP

I think in Ireland they don't accept watches or jewellery at all.

I rang every company two months ago to send my Railmaster to Amsterdam. Not one would accept it. There was one which offered insurance up to 1000 dollars value. Pointless given you can't under insure an item so insurance would be void in any case.

In the end I sent it dpd not telling them it was a watch so had no cover. As such I was assuming the risk myself and if it when missing tough titty to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

Dozer Dave wrote: »

i second that

I'd love to know Irish companies rationale for doing everything different to mainland Europe. Given we are an island especially, restricting post/courier services is ridiculous.

Are we untrustworthy? We do seem to get screwed at every turn.

FdP

flutered wrote: »
    i second that

Like above I rang dhl but only covers 1k$. I'll give dpd a bell and post back here.

• Advertisement

I'd love to know Irish companies rationale for doing everything different to mainland Europe. Given we are an island especially, restricting post/courier services is ridiculous.

Are we untrustworthy? We do seem to get screwed at every turn.

FdP
    I think so, from broadband, insurance,

Advertisement