Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Agri spec wrote: »
    Lads I'm thinking of buying a new 6 rotor tedder this year I've looked at the majority of them but can't make up my mind just wondering what people's opinions are on them I've looked at Kuhn lely Malone krone and pottinger, Which do ye think is the best one

Have a 6 rotor 30 ft Kuhn here for the last 3 seasons. Very happy with it. Contractors that collect the silage like the silage from it. They maintain that customers with claas and Pottinger tedders tend to have lumpier swaths. But that could be down to operator or grass type.
    The Kuhn is heavy but seems to be built to last

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How many acres per hour wpuks you do in light silage, 3 to 4 weeks growth and a normal cut then 7 weeks plus with a 4 rotor?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Can I ask why your not a fan of the hook tines I've no experience with tedders so I'm interested in all opinions also is the kverneland a well built machine I haven't actually looked at one of them

The hook tines if used in heavy wet grass or uneven ground are prone to breaking and they are expensive. I find the straight tines stronger and more able to scrap over stones and the like

Mooooo wrote: »
    How many acres per hour wpuks you do in light silage, 3 to 4 weeks growth and a normal cut then 7 weeks plus with a 4 rotor?

Id say a good 6 to 7 acres. My 6 rotor can do roughly 10 acres an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Agri spec

Have a 6 rotor 30 ft Kuhn here for the last 3 seasons. Very happy with it. Contractors that collect the silage like the silage from it. They maintain that customers with claas and Pottinger tedders tend to have lumpier swaths. But that could be down to operator or grass type.
    The Kuhn is heavy but seems to be built to last
    That's what someone said to me about claas tedders that they seem to just make a knot of the grass but in saying that it's probably down to the man driving it, I see some lads driving up and down the field at 15mph and I'd say that would be the cause of a lot of lumps in swathes after it's rowed in

• Advertisement

That's what someone said to me about claas tedders that they seem to just make a knot of the grass but in saying that it's probably down to the man driving it, I see some lads driving up and down the field at 15mph and I'd say that would be the cause of a lot of lumps in swathes after it's rowed in
    I find 7kph is the ideal forward speed

Reggie. wrote: »
    I find 7kph is the ideal forward speed
    Thanks very much reggie, when I first started looking into tedders I was all for the hook tine but the more I'm hearing about them I don't think I'd bother with them now

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Local pottinger agent had a offer on a 6 rotor tedder at machinery show yesterday price was €8700 Inc vat.Malone 4 rotor was €9200 Inc vat.the Malone have a spare wheel with them.some car manufacturers don't even sell cars with a spare wheel

Nobbies wrote: »
    Local pottinger agent had a offer on a 6 rotor tedder at machinery show yesterday price was €8700 Inc vat.Malone 4 rotor was €9200 Inc vat.the Malone have a spare wheel with them.some car manufacturers don't even sell cars with a spare wheel
    Pottinger are priced well at the moment but that price is for the smallest of the 6 rotor range I'd say, to be fair to Malone they have a fine lump of a tedder and massive width aswell at 8.4 meters but I've yet to come across someone with one I got a price on one of them at €12250 inc vat which I thought was reasonable enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

The hook tines if used in heavy wet grass or uneven ground are prone to breaking and they are expensive. I find the straight tines stronger and more able to scrap over stones and the like

I wouldn’t agree, there flexing in the opposite way to a straight time and don’t seem to break that often. If you look at a lot of the older lely tedders they still have a lot of original tines, or Atleast ones that every bit of paint is gone off and there rusty all over but still in one piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Neighbour has this monster of a dribble bar bought. Doing a bit of work on it and then he's going contracting with it.
    Two tons weight, before you even start pulling 5 or 6 tons of slurry pipe behind it.

d2g5P2P.jpg

Zr105 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t agree, there flexing in the opposite way to a straight time and don’t seem to break that often. If you look at a lot of the older lely tedders they still have a lot of original tines, or Atleast ones that every bit of paint is gone off and there rusty all over but still in one piece.

I seen plenty around here with tines half broke I have to say. Local harvester man dreads them as it sets off the metal detection a few times at each job that was tedded with a hooked tine.

I hear that agco aren't making the lely mowers anymore and I have to wonder will the tedders be next

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thats injection unit l think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I seen plenty around here with tines half broke I have to say. Local harvester man dreads them as it sets off the metal detection a few times at each job that was tedded with a hooked tine.

I hear that agco aren't making the lely mowers anymore and I have to wonder will the tedders be next

Get ready for the Agco cheapening disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Muckit wrote: »
    Thats injection unit l think

Quite right. Little disks ahead of each tube.

The lely tedder is being discontinued from June or July on won't be able to get them anymore unless they rebrand it a Massey which is quiet possible

The lely tedder is being discontinued from June or July on won't be able to get them anymore unless they rebrand it a Massey which is quiet possible

I think agco are continuing the fella range instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I think agco are continuing the fella range instead

Seems crazy that Agco would buy over a well recognised and regarded brand name like Lely and not use it.

Zr105 wrote: »

I'd with you regarding the hooked tine. We have a Lely 300 here for past 30 years, probably only replaced 15 tines on it in that time. Have a pz haybob also. Replace 6-8 tines every year.

Use the Lely to scatter out grass, really does a fantastic job at it, hooked tine seems to rip the grass apart and scatter much better than the haybob.

However lely is poor at rowing up so use the haybob or contractors rake for that.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Seems crazy that Agco would buy over a well recognised and regarded brand name like Lely and not use it.

Talk is they only bought lely for the wagon and balers

• Advertisement

I'd with you regarding the hooked tine. We have a Lely 300 here for past 30 years, probably only replaced 15 tines on it in that time. Have a pz haybob also. Replace 6-8 tines every year.

Use the Lely to scatter out grass, really does a fantastic job at it, hooked tine seems to rip the grass apart and scatter much better than the haybob.

However lely is poor at rowing up so use the haybob or contractors rake for that.

Don't think stanfit is too impressed with his tho

Don't think stanfit is too impressed with his tho

Whats he got, a stabilio?

Whats he got, a stabilio?

A lotus I think. If I remember correctly he stated that it was very soft.

A lotus I think. If I remember correctly he stated that it was very soft.
    I know a fella that bought 2 new 770 stabilos new at different times and both of them cracked and this man is by no means hard on machinery it seems to be the luck of the draw with the lely some people get on fine and others don't

I know a fella that bought 2 new 770 stabilos new at different times and both of them cracked and this man is by no means hard on machinery it seems to be the luck of the draw with the lely some people get on fine and others don't

Interesting, I want aware that lely were prone to cracking like that. Only have a 2 rotor machine here so no real weight in it to cause cracking .Had planned to upgrade to a second hand 4 rotor machine this year, will have to watch out for that with the lely so.

Interesting, I want aware that lely were prone to cracking like that. Only have a 2 rotor machine here so no real weight in it to cause cracking .Had planned to upgrade to a second hand 4 rotor machine this year, will have to watch out for that with the lely so.
    Ya apparently so but they were both 6 rotor machines and to be fair I looked at 4 or 5 different makes of tedders over the last couple of weeks and I did think the lely was extremely light looking in comparison to some of the other makes, but I suppose the 4 rotor lely might not be too bad when you wouldn't have the weight in it

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Anyone here have any experience in a Massey Ferguson 845 front loader (soft ride)
    I have no experience in loaders and can find no specs on this one.

Would it lift bales or ton of fertliser on a 4360

satstheway wrote: »
    Anyone here have any experience in a Massey Ferguson 845 front loader (soft ride)

I think that is the same as a quicke Q46 loader. It should have no hassle lifting bales anyways. How high are you looking to lift the ton of fert?

Good loader, a Quicke loader painted red as Reggie says. We have one here on a MF 4255, no bother lifting bales. I reckon max lift capacity of our tractor with it is aprox 1.25t, based on various loads lifted over past few years.

Soft ride is a great job :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Any one have any clue what quicke loader is the same as mf 873 front loader

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement