Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free GP care for Under 6s?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

It's a nonsense idea, a pre-election stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

nc6000 wrote: »
    It's a nonsense idea, a pre-election stunt.

?????

You know this has been going on quite a while now right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭creedp

RainyDay wrote: »
    Indeed, people will use it. And if the Nicotine therapy worked, it would probably have saved the health service considerable expenditure in the long run.

Never understood why NRT was covered under the GMS. The argument that medical card holders are poor so couldn't afford NRT doesn't stack up as patches etc are much cheaper that the fags themselves. This is the problem with everything being free medical card holders were able to pick up the patches for free and use them when they didn't want to go outside in the rain while having a few pints or sell them on to non medical card holders in the same predicament. Scarce public money should be put to better use!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

?????

You know this has been going on quite a while now right?

Yes, I'm aware of all the amazing plans James Reilly was going to implement when he became Minister for Health and they all came to absolutely zero. He was so bad that even his good mate Enda had to sack him.

Now this free GP care for under 6s is resurrected in time for it to be implemented before the next election.

It's a stunt.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm aware of all the amazing plans James Reilly was going to implement when he became Minister for Health and they all came to absolutely zero. He was so bad that even his good mate Enda had to sack him.

Now this free GP care for under 6s is resurrected in time for it to be implemented before the next election.

It's a stunt.

No

It has taken this long because there had to be discussions with doctors about this, you wouldn't be able to implement this until doctors are on board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

creedp wrote: »
    Never understood why NRT was covered under the GMS.
    Probably for the same reasons as the UK NHS will pay for Weight Watchers in some circumstances - if it works for a significant percentage of people, it will save money down the line.

Probably for the same reasons as the UK NHS will pay for Weight Watchers in some circumstances - if it works for a significant percentage of people, it will save money down the line.

If it is such an important public health issue, why is it considered appropriate to to provide free NRT to persons with a medical card but require a person earning a € over the medical card threshold to pay for it in full? Problem with the 2 tier Irish health system .. full of perverse incenitves and simply perverseness! Much better to target initiatives like on a clinical priority basis not income.

Of course that is the ostensible policy basis underpinning under 6 medical cards .. which is good except for the fact that it is simply a sop for the Govt to claim they are so concerned with implementing health reform and removing the deeply ingrained inequalities in the Irish health system. I wonder how long it will take to extend free GP care to the rest of the population .. maybe the next tranche will conveniently occur in 2020 JIT to buy the next election.

If it is such an important public health issue, why is it considered appropriate to to provide free NRT to persons with a medical card but require a person earning a € over the medical card threshold to pay for it in full? Problem with the 2 tier Irish health system .. full of perverse incenitves and simply perverseness! Much better to target initiatives like on a clinical priority basis not income.
    Yes, the problem here is the two-tier system, and the U6 GP care is a good step away from that system, despite what you get from the naysayers.
    Of course that is the ostensible policy basis underpinning under 6 medical cards .. which is good except for the fact that it is simply a sop for the Govt to claim they are so concerned with implementing health reform and removing the deeply ingrained inequalities in the Irish health system. I wonder how long it will take to extend free GP care to the rest of the population .. maybe the next tranche will conveniently occur in 2020 JIT to buy the next election.

I recall hearing something about plans to extend it from U6 to U12 within a fairly short period, a year or two iirc - though I'm open to correction on this.

Yes, the problem here is the two-tier system, and the U6 GP care is a good step away from that system, despite what you get from the naysayers.

I recall hearing something about plans to extend it from U6 to U12 within a fairly short period, a year or two iirc - though I'm open to correction on this.

I'd be surprised if it will happen that quick- or it would be publicised much more by Govt given its election year - especially given that they had to throw a further E30m at the scheme to buy off the GPs and get it over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

The contract on offer to GPs at present isn't just to cover the U6s but also the over 70s, diabetics and asthmatics. The common chronic diseases should be covered in primary care and GPs are able to do it. Universal free GP care is an ambition of the ICGP. the IMO and the NACGP. I hope I live to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No

It has taken this long because there had to be discussions with doctors about this, you wouldn't be able to implement this until doctors are on board.

I assume all that's happened to clear the jam is they've managed to make it worth the docs while now (a little more gravy available to keep them happy and troika are safely over the horizon where they can no doubt comment on vote-buying that might go on but not actually stop it).

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I assume all that's happened to clear the jam is they've managed to make it worth the docs while now (a little more gravy available to keep them happy and troika are safely over the horizon where they can no doubt comment on vote-buying that might go on but not actually stop it).

And there's your problem right there.

Of course they have "made it worth their while" did you expect the doctors of the country to suddenly start children under 6 for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Perhaps someone on higher wages has paid considerably more tax? Why shouldn't they get a benefit also?
    And I'm not saying it's fair. For example, I'd be for having child benefit means tested.

A minimum cost should be introduced as others have said, with a monthly/yearly cap. EUR 5 or 10 per visit to keep people from abusing the system.
    Medical card renewals are been refused like never before ,so it looks to me like Government policy is to get tough with recent applications especially the discretion part.

So free for all under 6's , there will be many losers .

Why should any couple with income of say €50,000 each with health insurance paid for by their employers , be entitled to bring their under 6 to GP for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

And there's your problem right there.

Of course they have "made it worth their while" did you expect the doctors of the country to suddenly start children under 6 for free?

Oh don't worry I'm not so naive!
    I was speaking of extra money compared to usual medical card patient, same as with non means tested "golden" cards for pensioners given during the boom years (a similar vote buyer). don't know what they are expected to get per child so I said I "assume".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I know this thread is 2 months old but I can't see a fresher one so I'll add here. Sorry if there is a more relevant place.

I've just seen on the news that this will come in on 1st July and South Tipp has by far the lowest uptake in Ireland among GP's at only 8%, while Donegal has the highest at 93%. Why the huge swing? Has there been some kind of union movement in South Tipp to make sure so few GP's sign up?

As a parent living in Clonmel with 2 kids under 5 I'm pretty sickened by this. Even if I try to move to one of the 8%, they'll more than likely turn me away as a new client as they'll be servicing existing clients first and foremost. This leaves the majority of GP's to continue charging 50 euro a visit with little recourse to clients. It seems like a cartel, almost!

Are they concerned with overloading of work? Are they worried about too much paperwork? Why are they against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Are they concerned with overloading of work? Are they worried about too much paperwork? Why are they against it?

There was 'X' number of patients that GP's could squeeze €50 a pop from..... That will be reduced.

I'm baffled that the government are giving GP's a choice of opting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Has the government set a figure for what the GP's can claim back? Even so, I would have thought that South Tipp is actually not as expensive as other territories so it wouldn't affect them as much. I see people on this thread mentioning 60 to 80 euros for visits elsewhere, so if anything, I'd have expected the acceptance in ST to be higher than Dublin, for instance.

Yeah it seems bizarre for the government to offer the option to them. In counties with a high acceptance (Donegal, for example), it would be a death blow for the remaining 7% of GP's not to accept as their clients will simply ggo to one of the 93% instead. But in areas like mine, we've very little choice given the 92% rejection. Could this lead to legal claims of inequality based on location, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Free GP care for Under 6s?

It's not free, someone else is paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Buying the election, buying the election.

once you give something for free, it will promote abuse of it and it is very hard to take the 'free' element of it

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Buying the election, buying the election.

once you give something for free, it will promote abuse of it and it is very hard to take the 'free' element of it

Buying the last election.

It was a promise for 2011.... Yet to be delivered.

As to abuse, if you are a parent you know you don't want your child to be ill & you don't want to be bringing them to doctors surgeries unnecessarily.

Babies are not hypochondriacs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Has the government set a figure for what the GP's can claim back? Even so, I would have thought that South Tipp is actually not as expensive as other territories so it wouldn't affect them as much. I see people on this thread mentioning 60 to 80 euros for visits elsewhere, so if anything, I'd have expected the acceptance in ST to be higher than Dublin, for instance.

Yeah it seems bizarre for the government to offer the option to them. In counties with a high acceptance (Donegal, for example), it would be a death blow for the remaining 7% of GP's not to accept as their clients will simply ggo to one of the 93% instead. But in areas like mine, we've very little choice given the 92% rejection. Could this lead to legal claims of inequality based on location, I wonder?

It must be a combination of it not being financially viable and them not having the resources to staff it.

As for why the government gave them the option - GPs are self-employed, they can do what they want and the government can't make them do something that mustn't be viable.

Most GP practices around the country are really struggling financially these days and at the end of the day they're running a business and need to be able to pay their staff, etc..

Really, we just need far more GP's.

As its a private business, there is nothing stopping the marketplace from supporting many more.

Something has to break the '€50 for 10 mins' grip on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

As its a private business, there is nothing stopping the marketplace from supporting many more.

I think most of them are quite reasonable in their pricing.

Some consider €50 reasonable.

Others don't.

Most people might also think that McDonald's in reasonable but what if you have a number of young kids who are always hungry .. would you visit McDonalds' each time one of them said they were hungry or would you wait for a while and see would they forget they were hungry?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

The reason many GPs are against it is they would rather see the money that's being spent on this under 6's scheme being spent on people that can't afford to see their GP by increasing the income limits for granting a medical card and also spending the money on children with life long disabilities such as DOwn's syndrome and not on a lot of under 6 year olds whose parents can afford to pay.

€50 for ten minutes may seem a lot but the average private patient only sees their Dr four times a year; that's €200. Universal Health Insurance has been estimated to cost €1650 per person per annum. For a family of four-€6600.000

exgp wrote: »
    The reason many GPs are against it is they would rather see the money that's being spent on this under 6's scheme being spent on people that can't afford to see their GP by increasing the income limits for granting a medical card and also spending the money on children with life long disabilities such as DOwn's syndrome and not on a lot of under 6 year olds whose parents can afford to pay.
    This is spinning. Universal coverage has to start somewhere.

If GPs are really concerned about what people can afford, they can drop their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

This. The answer is less barriers to entry, less unionization and less price fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    This. The answer is less barriers to entry, less unionization and less price fixing.

What barriers to entry? There has been alot in the news lately about how they cant get GPs to take on certain medical card lists in some areas. Any GP could set up there own private practive. There are loads of young GPs qualifying everyyear in Ireland but the current situation isn't feasible so they go to Canada, Australia, etc instead..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

What kind of barriers to entry are you thinking of? A huge barrier for example is the length of time it takes to train as a GP but I'd like my GP to have completed their training.

What unions are you thinking of? It's illegal for GP's to collectively bargain.

I don't see price fixing in operation. Prices are high but there's not insignificant variation.

Advertisement