Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Courses Dublin - memberships

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

dk1982 wrote: »
    The 18th is a Par 5. I wouldn't say its featureless, there's water around the front of the green and it gives you a big decision to make if you get a good drive away. Although that big Pylon to the left is an abomination. I must say I really like Stackstown and barring a few holes I dont think its as hilly as people make out. I've never played it in winter though and ive seen it mentioned here that you've to carry around a mat to place your ball on for every shot. That certainly wouldnt appeal to me.

I stand appropriately corrected. It's as I remember it.....! I agree that it's not in generally as hilly as made out to be, it just doesn't feel that way after the 17th/18th finish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I stand appropriately corrected. It's as I remember it.....! I agree that it's not in generally as hilly as made out to be, it just doesn't feel that way after the 17th/18th finish.....

I've enjoyed my rounds there but it's too "slopey" for my liking when considering it as a club. I didn't mind the hills (even though 9 & 18 can suck the life out of you if it's not going well), but I'm just not a fan of the slopes... they come into play on most holes. Iirc 4,8,11,13 are the only four holes where you're not playing against the slope be it l-r, r-l, uphill or downhill.

Maybe you just learn to play with it than against it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Living in Cabinteely at present and looking for a new club to join. I'm u25 so a intermediate membership looks likely. I was looking at joining Charlesland, Delgany and Edmondstown. Can anyone tell me about these places or anywhere I'm over looking? I've a car so a 20 min drive is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

irish_man wrote:
    Living in Cabinteely at present and looking for a new club to join. I'm u25 so a intermediate membership looks likely. I was looking at joining Charlesland, Delgany and Edmondstown. Can anyone tell me about these places or anywhere I'm over looking? I've a car so a 20 min drive is reasonable.

It depends on what kind of course you like and if you want a "club" as well as somewhere to play. As a place to play, I'd pick Charlesland of those three but the clubhouse is a bit dreary and run down and I don't know how strong the club is.

Delgany is a proper club but you have plenty of other options in that area like Glen of the Downs, Bray, Woodbrook and more.

Edmonstown is OK but if you are willing to pay an entrance fee you have other options.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

Woodbrook's probably the best club in your neck of the woods...or Elm Park, but Woodbrook's a better track. Dun Laoghaire's also a great setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

irish_man wrote: »

If money is not an issue, I would say Powerscourt is the pick of your local clubs with two excellent courses. Delgany is hilly, Edmondstown is not what it used to be and Charlesland is not a patch on Greystones .... as many posters say, play them and then make your choice.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

The above poster is right...Powerscourt is a great setup. Some people paid €70,000 of hello money to join at the peak. Now just pay the sub (admittedly circa €2,200), and you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Thanks very much for the replies.

I'd love to join Powerscourt but I was looking to spend around €600-700. I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred more if I got a really good club. I'd be looking to play with a few other people my own age so a younger demographic would be great. Charlesland is €600 for me whereas I could get Edmonstown for €300. Both are around a 20 min drive for me. How much would it be to get into Greystones? There isn't anything on the website

irish_man wrote:
    I'd love to join Powerscourt but I was looking to spend around €600-700. I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred more if I got a really good club. I'd be looking to play with a few other people my own age so a younger demographic would be great. Charlesland is €600 for me whereas I could get Edmonstown for €300. Both are around a 20 min drive for me. How much would it be to get into Greystones? There isn't anything on the website

Have a look at Old Conna too. Good club ethos and a nice layout

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Woodbrook's probably the best club in your neck of the woods...or Elm Park, but Woodbrook's a better track. Dun Laoghaire's also a great setup.

Dun Laoghaire is fairly well full up until probably next November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

just from searching around myself for intermediate membership deals, bray is expensive, as is old conn, wood brook is astronomical. if you're like me and looking for sub 700quid you're looking at stackstown, delgany, charlesland, howth, st annes, corrstown, slide valley. i haven't played these besides delgany and charelsland, they're just the options I've found in my searching.

Austmcc wrote:
    just from searching around myself for intermediate membership deals, bray is expensive, as is old conn, wood brook is astronomical. if you're like me and looking for sub 700quid you're looking at stackstown, delgany, charlesland, howth, st annes, corrstown, slide valley. i haven't played these besides delgany and charelsland, they're just the options I've found in my searching.

At sub €700, you are pretty limited and I certainly wouldn't want to be crossing town every week to play a course in that bracket. If €14 a week is all golf is worth to you, then go somewhere nearby or else your petrol bill will exceed your sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

First Up wrote: »
    At sub €700, you are pretty limited and I certainly wouldn't want to be crossing town every week to play a course in that bracket. If €14 a week is all golf is worth to you, then go somewhere nearby or else your petrol bill will exceed your sub.

well thats a bit much, its not what golf is worth to me or whoever, its how much you can afford. all costs of golf in, its an expensive sport. not to throw irish_man and myself in the same bracket but we're both under 25 (probably on limited income) and trying to continue to play a sport we enjoy.

Austmcc wrote:
    well thats a bit much, its not what golf is worth to me or whoever, its how much you can afford. all costs of golf in, its an expensive sport. not to throw irish_man and myself in the same bracket but we're both under 25 (probably on limited income) and trying to continue to play a sport we enjoy.

Fair enough but in that case, join somewhere handy so you can get the maximum use from it. Really is no point spending time and petrol trekking across the city to somewhere of a marginally different standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Austmcc wrote: »

Citywest is €750 full membership.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I was in the same boat last year and one of the reasons I joined Slade Valley was I can only get out once a week most weeks and couldn't afford to be throwing down 1000+ on a membership to not get the benefit for most of the week. They have continued they're under 30 deals, currently I'm on 395 including gui and insurance (25 or 26 on Jan 1st). I'm coming from Clonskeagh which does make popping out for a few evening holes next to impossible but I'm not home from work until 7 anyway so unless I joined Milltown/Grange/Castle I'd have the same problem anywhere.

Your best bet is to ring all the clubs within what you consider a manageable distance of you and see what your options are given your age, and play all of them, particularly at this time of year when it's wet to see how the course holds up. Slade Valley have been playing 10-12 holes for the last while which suits me in the cold, but isn't for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

location to home and work is always key when joining a club, then the course and finances off the club along with cost of joining. But I would always rather pay a little more for a club that is secure, decent track and near my home or work place.

If you have to travel across the city for 18 holes during the summer, you'll get very fed up with it very quickly and start looking for a new club unless your very near the M50. We do have members that travel across the city to Corrstown, but they either used to live in the area and love the place, or both Husband and Wife are members and share the driving.

We do have great deals at the moment for 25's and under at €450 and great deals of €600 for 30's and under. We also have great deals for new members, And we have no bank debt with a 27 hole track. It is a no brainier to be honest and it's not a hilly course.

I see Stackstown is offering this :
    For 2016 the Young Adult (20 - 25) full annual rate is €350 and the Young Adult (26 – 30) is €650.

Thats an amazing offer considering their full ordinary membership is €1450 per annum, although Im not sure how happy I'd be if I was over 30 and paying nearly 5 times more than a 25 year old ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have a look at Old Conna too. Good club ethos and a nice layout

Worked for a member of Old Conna Once,

He asked me "had you ever played it, "No" I said, thinking an invite was on the way

"and you never will" he says...

and thanks to him I never wanted to.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Worked for a member of Old Conna Once,

He asked me "had you ever played it, "No" I said, thinking an invite was on the way

"and you never will" he says...

and thanks to him I never wanted to.

From my experience Old Conna is a solid, sensibly priced, down to earth club with no pretentions or delusions of grandeur.

If your ex-boss gave the impression he is a member of an exclusive enclave he is either a particularly sad specimen or he was taking the piss.

Or else he thinks you are someone who can't be let out.

• Advertisement

From my experience Old Conna is a solid, sensibly priced, down to earth club with no pretentions or delusions of grandeur.

If your ex-boss gave the impression he is a member of an exclusive enclave he is either a particularly sad specimen or he was taking the piss.

Or else he thinks you are someone who can't be let out.

Years ago I used to play there with a society every year and we were told that no tradesmens vans were allowed to park in the main carpark .... we laughed as we knew most of their members were ordinary joes but they had a few who had notions of gradeur :rolleyes: Those days are gone now and its a much more friendlier place.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

irish_man wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the replies.

Druids Heath is 1,350. They have U30's @ 850.

It's a tough track tho. Shoot your handicap in the summer and you'll take the monthly medal. Not certain U30s can win medal and majors

Advertisement