Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Courses Dublin - memberships

Options
  • 10-04-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking to join a course in Dublin. Only moved up to city center recently not sure where or which clubs offer the best value for my situation! Seen a lot of golf courses which do great deals for ages up to 25.

Would be looking at lessons and playing weekdays and weekends. Would need to use public transport to get there also!

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

depending on where you are living Corrstown might be a good options, 27 holes, good inter-club golf and 550 members.

Fees for under 25's is currently €400 and up to 30 is €600. Once you get to the airport (great public links) it's only a short hop in a taxi and someone will always drop you back that direction afterwards.

They also have a beginners club starting for new members/players.

I'm not sure what other clubs have public transport straight to the door. Maybe Howth, Clontarf, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Elm Green, but most of them would still require some walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Silloge is the only course in Dublin i can think of that has a bus stop outside. Other options would be Donabate or Beaverstown there would be a bus or DART to % mins walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Thanks for the help guys, the prices are far more reasonable than I thought they'd be. I do have a bike, so cycling is always an option. Currently living in D8 not far off heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

MurDawg wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys, the prices are far more reasonable than I thought they'd be. I do have a bike, so cycling is always an option. Currently living in D8 not far off heuston.

Some clubs allow for storage, I.e they will have lockers available in the changing rooms.

We have them, but not sure if any free. Dublin 8 should provide you a few options, but prices might be a bit higher.

Go to the GUI site and find clubs in your area and then start ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That time of year folks, my membership runs out next month and I'm open to the idea of moving clubs, any recommendations for clubs on the south West of Dublin?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    That time of year folks, my membership runs out next month and I'm open to the idea of moving clubs, any recommendations for clubs on the south West of Dublin?

Slade Valley have a deal currently to get more members in, http://www.sladevalleygolfclub.ie/. It means that there's not too much trouble getting onto the time sheet.

It's wet this time of year though so not guaranteed year round golf. I joined last year and will be renewing in January as the price is good, and the course isn't too long which suits me, as I'm not a big hitter. Friendly members too

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    Slade Valley have a deal currently to get more members in, http://www.sladevalleygolfclub.ie/. It means that there's not too much trouble getting onto the time sheet.

It's wet this time of year though so not guaranteed year round golf. I joined last year and will be renewing in January as the price is good, and the course isn't too long which suits me, as I'm not a big hitter. Friendly members too

That sounds like a good deal.

I would prefer longer courses though as they suit me better, would be a reason for leaving my current club (citywest) might trek over for a round before Christmas to check it out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That sounds like a good deal.

I would prefer longer courses though as they suit me better, would be a reason for leaving my current club (citywest) might trek over for a round before Christmas to check it out.

If you prefer long courses it's may not be for you, par 70 with only one par 5. A few of the par 4's are below 300 metres, though most of them do have a dog leg. There are some holes where position can be very important

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Relying on public transport limits you a fair bit. The bus doesn't pass many golf club gates. Slade Valley is a bit off the main road. In that area you could look at Lisheen Springs too but its a hike up from the road with a bag of clubs.
    There's a fair few courses in your general area. Castlenock, Westmanstown and Luttlerstown are 3 worth looking at.
    It would be a long trip but the 145 from Heuston passes by Woodbrook in Bray.

First Up wrote: »
    Relying on public transport limits you a fair bit. The bus doesn't pass many golf club gates. Slade Valley is a bit off the main road. In that area you could look at Lisheen Springs too but its a hike up from the road with a bag of clubs.
    There's a fair few courses in your general area. Castlenock, Westmanstown and Luttlerstown are 3 worth looking at.
    It would be a long trip but the 145 from Heuston passes by Woodbrook in Bray.

If relying on public transport I wouldn't bother with Slade Valley. But, I think it was the op a few months ago relying on it.

How far are you willing to travel? There's some nice courses further down the N7, Naas GC is only about 15 minutes down the road from Citywest.

• Advertisement

Anyone play beech park?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Anyone play beech park?

Yes - decent enough. Can get a bit wet.

If relying on public transport I wouldn't bother with Slade Valley. But, I think it was the op a few months ago relying on it.

How far are you willing to travel? There's some nice courses further down the N7, Naas GC is only about 15 minutes down the road from Citywest.

Anywhere within 20 minutes of Tallaght. Naas might be a little too far, especially with traffic out that road. Somewhere with good practice facilities would be nice.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Having a look at Slade Valley for 2016. Just wondering what conditions are like up there - is it playable at all in the winter? Had a look up there a few days ago - tee boxes look quite hairy but didn't manage to check out the greens - are they good in general, are conditions good in the Spring/ Summer, is it easy to get on the time sheet on Saturday mornings, or for casual golf during the week from Spring onwards? Any info would be great.... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Having a look at Slade Valley for 2016. Just wondering what conditions are like up there - is it playable at all in the winter? Had a look up there a few days ago - tee boxes look quite hairy but didn't manage to check out the greens - are they good in general, are conditions good in the Spring/ Summer, is it easy to get on the time sheet on Saturday mornings, or for casual golf during the week from Spring onwards? Any info would be great.... thanks.

Very wet at the moment, played it last Sunday and it was as wet as I've seen it, probably shouldn't have been open. Then again, where isn't wet at the moment ? Generally its playable in a normal winter. They find a combination of usually 12, 13 or 14 holes to play, and the "new" holes are not in play in winter.

Tee boxes are a weakness, but the greens are amongst the very best around, especially in Spring, summer and Autumn. Casual golf during the week isn't a problem, at the very worst you'd have to go off the 10th tee if it was a busy evening but even that is most unlikely.

Time sheet access isn't a problem, granted the first 3 or 4 lines at 7.30am go pretty quickly but after that there's no issue at all.

Financially they were in a very bad place but have recently come to an arrangement with their bank and have taken in something like 30+ members in the last couple of months. IMHO the deals at the moment are a bit of a no brainer as you're paying monthly so all you'd stand to lose is one months fee.

I haven't got out for a few weeks so can't comment on how it's holding up at the minute. But I'd imagine very wet. Some of the tee boxes are poor to be honest, with a lot longer grass than would be expected, particularly the 8th half of the shared 4th 8th tee.

I usually go out sometime between half 8 and half 10 and have not had any difficulty any weekend in getting out. And separate Saturday and Sunday competitions which is very good, and I've played with some visitors who's course has the medal across the two days so they come up to play the Sunday open in Slade to get another comp in over the weekend.

With work I've only gotten out midweek a handful of times and again haven't had any trouble in getting out.

As Russman said, they've recently come to an arrangement with the bank so the short term future is secure, and paying monthly will insulate you should something happen.

Russman wrote: »
    Very wet at the moment, played it last Sunday and it was as wet as I've seen it, probably shouldn't have been open. Then again, where isn't wet at the moment ? Generally its playable in a normal winter. They find a combination of usually 12, 13 or 14 holes to play, and the "new" holes are not in play in winter.

Tee boxes are a weakness, but the greens are amongst the very best around, especially in Spring, summer and Autumn. Casual golf during the week isn't a problem, at the very worst you'd have to go off the 10th tee if it was a busy evening but even that is most unlikely.

Time sheet access isn't a problem, granted the first 3 or 4 lines at 7.30am go pretty quickly but after that there's no issue at all.

Financially they were in a very bad place but have recently come to an arrangement with their bank and have taken in something like 30+ members in the last couple of months. IMHO the deals at the moment are a bit of a no brainer as you're paying monthly so all you'd stand to lose is one months fee.

Thanks for the info, Russman - much appreciated. Very tempting for me for next year. Can't go too far wrong with the deal that's there just now from a financial point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Delighted Noddy valley have sorted some of their money worries out always liked playing up there and was a member there many moons ago before moving, their 50 Euro's per month deal is perhaps the best value in the greater Dublin area at the mo.

I haven't got out for a few weeks so can't comment on how it's holding up at the minute. But I'd imagine very wet. Some of the tee boxes are poor to be honest, with a lot longer grass than would be expected, particularly the 8th half of the shared 4th 8th tee.

I usually go out sometime between half 8 and half 10 and have not had any difficulty any weekend in getting out. And separate Saturday and Sunday competitions which is very good, and I've played with some visitors who's course has the medal across the two days so they come up to play the Sunday open in Slade to get another comp in over the weekend.

With work I've only gotten out midweek a handful of times and again haven't had any trouble in getting out.

As Russman said, they've recently come to an arrangement with the bank so the short term future is secure, and paying monthly will insulate you should something happen.

Thanks for the info, Dr. Rieux. It all helps.

Could anyone compare Slade Valley to Grange Castle?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Very different courses and very different operations. What aspects are you asking us to compare?

First Up wrote: »
    Very different courses and very different operations. What aspects are you asking us to compare?

Well I'm thinking about joining one of them, was set for Grange Castle but that deal in Slade Valley is tempting.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

They are different! And I think that is all anyone here will agree on.

My advice would be to try both, and decide for yourself.

I'm not all that fond of Slade's layout, whereas Grange Castle is a far better design - but that's just my opinion.

The greens in Slade are generally good though - well, 16 good greens and two which are pure ***** (8th & 17th).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 woywover

Slade Valley is a wonderful course, lovely setting with views of the Mourne mountains on clear days. Have played it a good few times, 3 really long par 4's, it's a thinking man's course. I'm going to join this year based on location, price, super greens and there's a relaxed vibe about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Anybody have any thoughts on Stackstown? They seem to have good deals for membership. Haven't found the time to go out and play it yet but very tempted.

Austmcc wrote:
    Anybody have any thoughts on Stackstown? They seem to have good deals for membership. Haven't found the time to go out and play it yet but very tempted.

Like anywhere you are considering, you need to play it a few times and in varied conditions before you can make a judgement.

Stackstown is too hilly and fiddly for my taste but you might find it perfect. Only one way to find out.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

Stackstown's greens are superb and it's reasonably central in its location. Seems pretty cheap too. Castleknock would be a good option for the poster living near Heuston Station.

Stackstown's greens are superb and it's reasonably central in its location. Seems pretty cheap too. Castleknock would be a good option for the poster living near Heuston Station.

Westmanstown is worth a look too.

Austmcc wrote: »

Played it in an open a couple of years ago. Lovely greens alright, thought it was grand until the finishing couple of holes. A brutal finish, Imo. Unpleasant par 3 17th, then 18th is a long featureless par 4 up a steep hill that will finish your legs altogether. Apart from that I like the course ok. You'd need to play it a couple of times to see if you can live with that finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

Played it in an open a couple of years ago. Lovely greens alright, thought it was grand until the finishing couple of holes. A brutal finish, Imo. Unpleasant par 3 17th, then 18th is a long featureless par 4 up a steep hill that will finish your legs altogether. Apart from that I like the course ok. You'd need to play it a couple of times to see if you can live with that finish.

The 18th is a Par 5. I wouldn't say its featureless, there's water around the front of the green and it gives you a big decision to make if you get a good drive away. Although that big Pylon to the left is an abomination. I must say I really like Stackstown and barring a few holes I dont think its as hilly as people make out. I've never played it in winter though and ive seen it mentioned here that you've to carry around a mat to place your ball on for every shot. That certainly wouldnt appeal to me.

Advertisement