Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Fianna Fail FFinished?

Options
  • 09-04-2015 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

The tipping point has been reached lads...FF are going into a tail-spin...

Is it surprising? No, here's why:

1) Ever since their artificially inflated bubble-burst they are completely deluded that they had anything to do with the crash.

2) As a result, in their FF deluded mode failed to even do a superficial reform of their party. They decided to continue on as if nothing had ever happened.

3) Their time in opposition has been pathetic. For the last number of the years their flash-suited politicians would jump on any bandwagon possible for some cheap votes. If there was a problem with bunny rabbits invading the country. FF politicians would be there at the Bunny Rabbit Control Association doing a photo-shoot and dispensing trite soundbites about some stupid "five point plan" to control the bunnies.

4) They have NO ideas of their own. Bandwagon jumping is all they are good for.

5) Since the crash, nobody really knows exactly what the FF political ideology is. But, deep inside most people know that FF politicians are just in it for the money.

To use their beloved phrase, going forward, FF are f@cked...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'd disagree. They have acknowledged their role in the crash and admitted that mistakes were made.

Your post isn't reasoned, but looks like that of a person who wants FF to die, rather than outlining a convincing case that they are on their death bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Not finished no....

However, they are very much in a state of torpor though.
    There was a slight rally in the years post the 2011 GE, but its sliding back.

In opposition they have suffered from being in the unenviable situation of being out-noised by the Shinners but when they do try their hardest at populism, they get hammered for it.

They have also been quite reasoned at times, especially at pre-budget submissions.... (However no one is interested in sensibility so its ignored)

Still too much old guard for the general public too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

First of all the OP asks a question and then goes to great lengths to answer the question in such a way that it wold seem that the OP is not open to any other answer.

In my opinion Fianna Fail are not finished as they still have a sizeable portion of the electorate that will vote for them no matter what. Added to that the mistakes of the current government and the historic legacy that surrounds Sinn Fein then I would say that Fianna Fail can survive.

They would probably need to ditch Michael Martin. Personally, I am not sure f I could ever vote for them considering their behavior in the past but the Irish electorate are fickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

They pretty much won the same % vote in 2014 as they did in 2009. The total number of City and County council seats increased by 66. While they're ahead by one percentage point in the latest poll, they've been trading places with SF in the polls for 2nd place since 2014. FF suffered a wipe out in the Euro's only holding on to one seat.

They've lost two high profile councillors in the past month; one to Renua Ireland and the other was the party's only certain gain in Dublin in the next GE. On top of that, Martin's leadership is constantly under threat from O'Cuiv and McGuiness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

No. And sadly never will. As long as there are ignorant and/or self serving people there will always be a Fianna Fail.
    You've the kind that make out of it and the blind followers who are, and I'm quoting from an actual conversation, "I'm a Fianna Fail man, like my father and his father before him".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I still reckon that when it comes down to it, standing there in the polling booth people will not vote for SF in any great numbers regardless of what pre-election polls may suggest. Too much baggage, Gerry being caught up in scandal after scandal, and too left-wing for most.

LAB it seems won't do a Greens and implode but I can't see them doing very well next year either. They've alienated too many of their core voters.

FF need to lose Martin, O'Dea and some of the rest of the old hangers-on if they're to progress anywhere meaningful at this point I think. Many still haven't forgiven them for the crash, but forget that FG in opposition wanted to spend even more.

Independents and left-wing parties will take a dive in popularity as the economy improves and the upcoming giveaway Budget (why else all the noise about how far we are ahead of predicted tax returns)

That leaves us with FG and they've proven themselves just as able at the cronyism, scandal, corruption and incompetence as FF - with added arrogance and a "leader" that was nearly overthrown himself a few years back. Achieved nothing of real note beyond implementing the FF/Troika plan and clapping themselves on the back for every job created via policies they had nothing to do with.

None particularly palatable IMO, but if I HAD to choose one of those choices, it'd probably be FF - let's face it, we're effectively a one-party State anyway. FG only get in when FF need a hiding and are so similar they might as well merge and get it over with.. which could also happen yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think the longer Michael Martin is leader the more damage is being done - how younger party members haven't challenged his leadership is unbelievable... It goes shows FF as a party hasn't changed one bit.

They need the contaminated TD's shoved to the back benches and a totally new look - New Fianna Fáil needs to be launched by the youth of the party. I think people are just sick of the current FF brand - I don't know if it's just me but I get the feeling if FF had the chance again they would lead us down the same path in their hunger for power.

They need to openly and honestly come out and apologise to the people, shut up former TD's/Taoiseach's from blaming international markets etc. and remove anyone who sat at cabinet over the boom years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Fianna Fail will be the largest Opposition party after the next Election..

At current polling levels , they'' have more seats than SF..

Barring some major unforseen events I cannot see SF gaining very much more traction as the economy recovers , FF will hold what they've got for the most part.

So , to answer the OP - No , not finished at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Fianna Fail will be the largest Opposition party after the next Election..

At current polling levels , they'' have more seats than SF..

Barring some major unforseen events I cannot see SF gaining very much more traction as the economy recovers , FF will hold what they've got for the most part.

So , to answer the OP - No , not finished at all.

Where do you see FF gaining btw?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My 2c. There will be a measure backlash against present government. Independents and SF of course picking up a good deal of this, but FF also will benefit. Likely not enough to bring them within an measure of power but might be enough to inject some new blood and pursue a re-vitalise campaign next time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think if they can develop strong values and policies, they will have a good choice in the next GE. SF is only doing well at the moment with their anti-water charges campaign. Which most middle to high income earners dont care about. €160 for water a year is nothing when you are pissed with having to pay a top marginal tax rate of 51% and get a pension that is few euros a week more than a non-contributory pension.

I could see a party with strong liberal values doing well. Most parties are still treating their campaigns like this is 1975. If you have a party saying 'We are liberal, we want to have another proper refernum on abortion, divorce etc. We want to strongly reduce welfare and reduce income tax'. They could secure a large amount of the seats. Higher income people vote in large numbers, where as lower income groups rarely do. Even the GOP in the US realises its alienating a huge amount of young voters by being anti-gay and prochoice. Even the poster child for the GOP, Aaron Schock is even allegedly Gay.

Yet here all parties are fairly social conservative and will alienate young voters, who want to live in a liberal 21st Century European country and not something on par with 1950s Southern State in the US regarding abortion, divorce, LGBT rights. Anything that is mildly controversial is ignored by the Government and any other party. This wont cut it with young voters. How many women here are pissed with ****ty abortion rights? How many high income earners are annoyed with huge taxes? There is tons, but no party to cater for them. If FF is that party, they will do well in election.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think the longer Michael Martin is leader the more damage is being done - how younger party members haven't challenged his leadership is unbelievable... It goes shows FF as a party hasn't changed one bit.

They need the contaminated TD's shoved to the back benches and a totally new look - New Fianna Fáil needs to be launched by the youth of the party. I think people are just sick of the current FF brand - I don't know if it's just me but I get the feeling if FF had the chance again they would lead us down the same path in their hunger for power.

They need to openly and honestly come out and apologise to the people, shut up former TD's/Taoiseach's from blaming international markets etc. and remove anyone who sat at cabinet over the boom years.

Why? This is the problem with Irish politics, it's teams and families not social or political beliefs based on the good of the nation.
    Why re-invent a generationally corrupt party? A historically selfish party, (DeValera, Haughey, Ahern)?
    I don't understand the need to 'fix' this institution, if these youth are at all looking to better the country, start a party based on values not family ties and a skewed version of patriotism.
    They'll **** us again.

Fool me several times, shame on....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

FF are still a force because there are still enough older people who vote purely along civil war lines to keep them a force.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To the original question, simple answer, I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

I have always voted FF or FG and expect to continue doing so.

Would be amazed if their combined vote went below 50% - because the degree of property ownership in this country makes us conservative (small c).

FF oppositionalism since the defeat is tiresome and childish; Sean Fleming being the most egregious example - can't stand the guy.

I will be FG the next time DV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No they are not finished, they haven't made any real gains in the last few polls but aren't really losing support either.

As for SF I think a lot of the popularity is due to the fact that they have many hard working councillors helping at local level, when it comes to policies the party leadership has nothing to offer and Adams as leader doesn't sit well with a lot of voters this side of the border.

All this helps FF come election time.

They need to ditch Martin though, he was part of the corrupt Government that sank the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I just read a thread over in Accommodation and Property that says the current Government are proposing to use tax payer's money to bail out people in mortgage arrears!

Aside from the kick in the teeth to responsible taxpayers who do pay their bills, it shows that there really is no difference between them and FF as they try to buy the next election with this stunt .. and thanks to the property-obsessed Irish it'll probably work too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So I just read a thread over in Accommodation and Property that says the current Government are proposing to use tax payer's money to bail out people in mortgage arrears!

Aside from the kick in the teeth to responsible taxpayers who do pay their bills, it shows that there really is no difference between them and FF as they try to buy the next election with this stunt .. and thanks to the property-obsessed Irish it'll probably work too!

If they are taking this step it's to "protect" house prices by not allowing the market to be flooded with foreclosed homes. It's the same reason Nama, BOI and AIB are sitting on property in Dublin, it help "protect" inflated property prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

well I see that FG propose taking tens of thousands more out of the tax net, what a great idea :rolleyes: The vast majority here are either contributing far too little to the state if on lowish incomes or getting to much from it if on welfare...

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Can we agree there are right wing nutcases too?
    It seems if the nut cases are making money for the right people* it's preferable to nut cases spending money on the poor.

(*See Cowen/Ahern/Lennihan/Kenny/Noonan)

For Reals wrote: »

See Cowen/Ahern/Lennihan/Kenny/Noonan)

If you think the above as 'right wing nutcases, you frankly haven't the remotest clue what your talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If FG can sell the recovery from FF administration a lot more, then they may retain defectors from the last election.

This election is SF big chance to overtake FF though they've got to offer a newer front line than the current FF and SF. They have to buy into the recovery narrative too, everyone is fatigued by misery and want some sense of forward momentum, even if it's only imaginary.

The last election was about revulsion. The next election is about selling a new prosperity. As always some will be left behind. SF have got to be seen as an approachable alternative to FF. SF shouldn't focus on FG but on FF, they can pick off the remaining rump of the traditionalist vote.

FF will still be strong in rural areas but in urban areas SF can poach FF support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

It seems if the nut cases are making money for the right people* it's preferable to nut cases spending money on the poor.

(*See Cowen/Ahern/Lennihan/Kenny/Noonan)

Yes. There are right wing nut cases but they tend to get fewer than 100 votes so none of them are actually a concern and won't be elected in 2016.

The nuts currently in the dail are all left wing.

If you think the above as 'right wing nutcases, you frankly haven't the remotest clue what your talking about.

In the parameters of the Irish political scene, you find those gents of sound fiscal mind and communist?

In the parameters of the Irish political scene, you find those gents of sound fiscal mind and communist?

Bertie Ahern, Ends Kenny etc.... Centrist.

"Right wing nutcases".... No & silly to suggest same.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

catbear wrote: »
    If FG can sell the recovery from FF administration a lot more, then they may retain defectors from the last election.

This election is SF big chance to overtake FF though they've got to offer a newer front line than the current FF and SF. They have to buy into the recovery narrative too, everyone is fatigued by misery and want some sense of forward momentum, even if it's only imaginary.

The last election was about revulsion. The next election is about selling a new prosperity. As always some will be left behind. SF have got to be seen as an approachable alternative to FF. SF shouldn't focus on FG but on FF, they can pick off the remaining rump of the traditionalist vote.

FF will still be strong in rural areas but in urban areas SF can poach FF support.

I still don't see SF even getting to be the largest party in opposition tbh..

Their Opinion poll ratings have topped out around the 25% mark and will continue to slid back somewhat over the next 6-9 months - I reckon that they'll be on 20/21 in the close run up to the Election.. with most of the decline shifting back to the Government parties (mostly to FG) , independents will slide too as there are a lot of "don't knows" hiding in those figures..I expect FG/LAB to be around 32%/33% combined which should get them around 70 seats, leaving only 9 to get for a majority - probably made up of 2 or 3 Renua and a scattering of Indys

FF have also topped out in terms of opinion polls , but I don't see them declining any further to any great degree..

SF at around 20%/21% and FF a bit behind around the 17%/18% in opinion polls would see FF hold on to all of their current seats (and maybe squeak another seat in Dublin) and finish with more seats than SF based on better transfers and better geographic coverage.

• Advertisement

Bertie Ahern, Ends Kenny etc.... Centrist.

"Right wing nutcases".... No & silly to suggest same.

I consider FG right wing by Irish standards and to be honest I don't rate FF as a political party, more of a self serving group, in politics by happenstance as it's were the money is.

Advertisement