Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I used to do the same system as you for the last few years, calve mid March onwards and out straight away. I build an extension to the slated shed for a creep area (20ft x20ft) last year for use this year and its already paid itself off. Cost 10k roughly to do and all done myself (with father). I've heavy land and the place would be destroyed by now otherwise. As I was doing it myself the cost was spread out over 8mths and just did bit by bit in the evening after work and at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

I’m delighted that he is being rewarded for producing good stock. On the other hand then we have some thick lad on the farmers Journal podcast thinking he’ll cod people into buying his JeX, Irish and NZ friesians by telling them that the CBV is 100% reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

The dairy man in the ifj seems to think that the jex cow is the correct cow to have and has fooled a lot of dairy men into destroying their herds and has no respect for the lads that end up with the rubbish offspring he just keeps on with his own 1 sided agenda, I often wonder will a lot of dairy lads that have listened to this jex agenda go belly up as they have no calf sales, low cull cow value and are now only reliant on 6 milk cheques to keep the show going for the year and low milk volume I am looking at some of them and am questioning the figures as they seem to be in trouble all the time yet the journalist gets a big salary for telling lads complete rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The CBV was brought in to help these lads to sell the bad calf, a lot of them won’t test because they know that they will have a minus figure and that’s why this clown in the the rag podcast wants it removed, most men buying calves and rearing them are no fools ( the Jex man thinks they are) and can pick what suits their system, and you will only catch these out once, the Aubrac was used to cover the black tail to lads realised this and they are now suffering in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I watched about 10 calves sell yesterday online at Ennis Mart. All had Jersey breeding in the cow. The best of them made €30.

The CBV is worthless unless there is a genomic test to back it up. All the dairy guy has to do is register the calf to a high CBV bull and the calf will be likewise on paper.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

as a ball park figure, good young cows with nice calf will make circa €2,500 back to €16/1700 for the lesser quality.

Strongly recommend advertising as clearance in a mart as I’d always be sceptical of the singular cow/calf being sold. Nothing like a clearance scale to get the interest going. If you sell in ones and twos, you could be left with the worst ones and taking a bad price for them.

Say €2k as an average (this bad weather is now possibly extending to May so that will have an impact on buyers and price).

If you keep cow till weaning of calf, say aug/sept you’d probably be looking at say €1000 for weanling and then fatten cow. Cow at 430kgs x €4.80 will hit around the €2k mark. A suckler cow after a decent summer on the grass will be fleshy and will be around 4-5 weeks off finishing - cost of around €50 a head.

All the above comes with a lot of variables and doesn’t cover any land/fert costs as obviously I don’t know all the details of your current stock/farm situ.

Best of luck with whatever way you go. And just make sure to keep the bull away 😑😑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭50HX

Just watching gortatlea weanling sale of heifers

Spots of value there, 12mnth old Hex out of Fr, 235kg 470e

There is 6 week old calves making that

CAlf prices are usually out of line with what moderate yearlings make a calf that's well done usually looks his best and.may not turn out so good after. The 235 kg yearlings may have been narrow hence the price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Had a look at her not a superstar of a heifer but looked sound enough. Here main issue was she was on her third owner. Off a Fr cow 350 days in last herd, born in mid March 22 so she was moved twice before she was much with 30 days old

There was a 285 kg HEX heifer sold for 580 suckler bred off an AA cow looked more like a SH but a good O+ heifer, another 280kg heifer sold for 600 but no video up of her last two were on there first movement

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Yea, thanks lads for all that. I'm going to not winter anything for a few years and get land/set-up right etc. I've poor facilities and land is getting awful torn up wintering out. Wll miss the cows and calves around but have young family too and I just can't justify the time anymore. I'm in acres co-op area and will go organic so will maximise what grants are out there and just graze a few cattle for the 7 months for the first year or two till I figure things out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

Neighbour near me has done exactly as you are proposing and delighted with himself, sells a few meadows and has aftergrass for himself. No cattle for winter so little or no contractor costs, cattle bought online also so frees up a lot of time that way too. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭farisfat

What are fr culls making at the moment. A nice cover on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

How long are they dry and what have you been feeding them. Fr cows outta sheds on silage are killing very bad the last few weeks. You'd want a fair cow now for 1250.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Some amount of cattle out in macroom today. Only finished at half nine tonight, was talking to a haulier there he collected 14 heavy cattle back near the mizen this morning at 6 30 when he went into the office with his cards he found out the farmer was restricted. To say he was not a happy camper is an understatement. He had a drive back of 2 and half hours again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭limo_100

What was trade like where stores up a bit? thought that they where lagging a little last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Ya good enough I had 6 black Hereford blks for my brother 430 kgs 1260 now they were only handy cattle. The place was blocked with cattle. They had to get the dry cows out into trucks to get the last of the store cattle in.

Jesus notting wrong with that price them stores left some profit anyway. Jesus that's mad I never seen a mart that full

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭QA1

Maurice who😂🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

sold LM 3 (potential U grade) store bullocks in Tipperary last week. Average 550kg and made 1800.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Any idea what 380kg AA bullocks might make? They’re only 13-14 months.

I’m doing my sums here and I need to make extra silage this year so thinking of reducing demand on grass.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭older by the day

Depends on quality. What we're the dams. 3 euro/kg was about the run in skibb Friday for that weight

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Anyone selling factory fit cattle in the marts?? I believe from chatting a regular mart goer they are a good trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

don’t do it. Bring them to the factory yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

595 heifer for 1890 Friday. Not fit fit but could have been killed. Assuming she killed 58-59% after standing around for a few hours then didn’t make it lose anything major.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

On to both agents I deal with lately. All have an ample supply. One will take a few and said take a few more 2 or 3 weeks. The other is full for the next 7 to 10 days. My stock are in nice order now. Would like to be moving them. Price next week is 5.15 and 5.10.

Seem like a great weight for their age but I seen these stock selling for around 7-800. You have them well on the way now you'd probably make the most on them in the factory - but if you need the ground that's a different story. Only thing is I'm in the same boat but I'm not overly worried the cattle are not out yet the meadows will be shock this week it will only be a few tight weeks and I'll have the meadows back hopefully first week of june

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

They’re out of proper British Friesian and Holstein cows, and they’re the best calves I ever reared. It’s a pity to sell them but if they average €1,000 I’ll nearly have as much out of them now as finishing them in Oct or Nov.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Get them in the mart now with the weather improved, better to get silage for next spring when you’re milking and not be looking for silage, store cattle are a good trade now. Who knows what the back end brings. More rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭older by the day

Well let's say 1200 at just over 3 a kg. When you are going milking next, and selling nice aax heifer calves for 80euro, or fr bulls for 20euro it's the price you have pay to produce the white gold. If you have plenty of acres you can do what you like, but now is the time to sell when the beef farmer and subsidy chaser is buying

• Advertisement

Are the stock underage and fully inspec I don't think factories are over full at the moment

Advertisement