Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

Trouble is,this one has been in Dublin and then Devon. Also,roads have started to be salted in Ireland more frequently. I suspect your dad's never saw salt. The trim on this and the wheels look like they are showing rust. It's a car for a warm dry climate imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Xlaxeo wrote: »

Jaysus, there's a few long nights work in that one. Great old yolk though. Had one in the early 80's. Would run on the sniff of petrol and absolutely bomb proof.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vintage-van-for-sale/17781828

Speaking of Renault 4's, I was with an old boy buying an IBC tank a while back and he had this tucked away in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

flatty wrote: »
    You can tell by looking at that thing. Wheels, bottom trim, the shell is also damaged clearly in the photo shown. Four poor photos. I'm certain it has issues with rust.
    As the old saying goes,lotus stands for Lots Of Trouble ,Usually Serious.

There may well be a rusty chassis on that, but there’s nothing in the photos to suggest it’s rusty. The wheels are alloy, and the photos don’t show any rusted trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

Silly argument really,but the trim along the bottom looks tarnished to me, and the wheels need refurbished. I think maybe I'm coming at it from the angle that I like classic cars to be as close to pristine as possible, and I think it would be very difficult and expensive to get that pristine. If not,I don't think a lad who a exported it, presumably to restore it would be selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

supervento wrote: »

What the hell is the point of that ad being on donedeal if it can only be viewed in London?

What the hell is the point of that ad being on donedeal if it can only be viewed in London?

Guess the seller must of sent a few to Ireland? Must be worth his while...

30 y/o car, same owner for the last 3 years :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

emeldc wrote: »
    30 y/o car, same owner for the last 3 years :confused: :rolleyes:

My car is 20 year old and has the same owner the past 6 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rover-2600-s/15975578

I do like these. If it checked out would make a very affordable starter classic .

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    My car is 20 year old and has the same owner the past 6 years...

My point is that it's not a huge selling point to have a 30 y/o car with the last owner having it for just 3 years. If he had it for 15 years you might assume he'd spent a few quid on it and looked after it. To me, it doesn't look like it got a proper wash even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Just noticed the (April) part of the heading. Its April 1988 , figure folks in the UK know there is a demand for when a car hits 30 yrs.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rover-2600-s/15975578

I do like these. If it checked out would make a very affordable starter classic .

I like them too (and if you want to make it left hand drive you just have to unscrew everything and move it to the other side!) but that one looks to me like it's hiding a lot of rust, and a rusty one of those would not be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

emeldc wrote: »
    Speaking of Renault 4's, I was with an old boy buying an IBC tank a while back and he had this tucked away in the attic.

Some difference between the black Renault 4 van and that,
    When you said attic, I was expecting to see a box of parts or picture, or stack of workshop manuals...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

According to the NCT website, that vehicle has been scrapped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

What a cool looking car ... would love to see one of these in the flesh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Someone's mum used to pick me up in one of those for a couple of weeks in the 90's while I had a summer job.

Same colour and everything!

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1978-mercedes-200-diesel-manual/18017085

OTRhZjEwYzg3N2MyNDU2MTM0YzdlNDI1NzNiMjAyMGPjUy2FoX2-Jx1bebic12ydaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTAyNDcxNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Good price here for an NCT exempt W123. Sure a diesel isn't everyone's first choice but for €2600 I'd make do. Could make a nice daily driver if you were so inclined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Dades wrote: »
    Someone's mum used to pick me up in one of those for a couple of weeks in the 90's while I had a summer job.

Same colour and everything!

Sounds like the plot line for a certain genre of film. :pac:
    Good price here for an NCT exempt W123. Sure a diesel isn't everyone's first choice but for €2600 I'd make do. Could make a nice daily driver if you were so inclined

Looks good. Paint needs a good deep clean, wax and polish. Can't see any significant rot on the chassis, but a quick jack test on them will show up a lot.

If it is rust free and mechanically in order then it's a bargain.

Needs red rear plates though to set it off. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I know I'm probably wrong but I'm always suspicious when an "original Irish" car hasn't got a red plate.
    I just can't see a true classic car enthusiast putting white plates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wouldn't go so far as to say you are wrong but there are many reasons why the plates may not be entirely "correct" on a 40 year old car.

A lot of the red plates cracked and faded so were replaced after 10-15 years when they were just old cars not necessarily in the care of an enthusiast. People just went in and got a serviceable set of plates without worrying about their correctness.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

If my memory is correct, XXX FTI is 1983/84. The car has head lights are of that year. 1978 W123 would have round reflecters. In which case it will need an N.C.T.

673 FTI comes back as '79

Why would it need an NCT, 83/84 or 78 - its still pre 1980?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

mattroche wrote: »
    If my memory is correct, XXX FTI is 1983/84. The car has head lights are of that year. 1978 W123 would have round reflecters. In which case it will need an N.C.T.

A quick reg check says it's a 79.

Wiki says the last fti 929 FTI was issued in December 1986.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

elperello wrote: »
    Wiki says the last fti 929 FTI was issued in December 1986.

I might be wrong but back then if you imported a car you got the next available reg number.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I might be wrong but back then if you imported a car you got the next available reg number.

You are right.
    So if she was imported in 1986 she got the current FTI plate from Limerick City Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭w124man

Rear badge is wrong I think. 2.0 litre diesel of that era should have a diesel badge as well. Painfully slow!

Advertisement