Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

fryup wrote: »

There used to be a jingle that went something like:

Renault 4, Renault 4, Renault 4......5 Door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That Renault was for sale last summer I think, recently enough anyway. NCT ran out in 2013. Would help if he ran it through the NCT so we can get an idea as to how good or bad it really is, especially since travel is so difficult.

If it needs little work then it's a decent price for an Irish built car. Paint job (with the exception of the 'Up Gowran' bit) wouldn't bother me, I've been in loads of cars like that living in Germany in the 90's.

This could be a ball of shyte or a very usable classic, hard to see anything with the light on the video. Wheels need to go.
    Possibly never seen an NCT centre which isn't good.

1980 350 SL, €9,500

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1980-mercedes-350sl/27444255

MjJlMjE0ZTc0NmFmMmUzMWYxNTgzZmQ2MTk3ODdkZjXGVmwzu4QoKRjSqooGO3_vaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzMzNTkzMDV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I wonder if you could get the paint off that Renault with thinners, would save a lot of trouble and expense if a full respray is otherwise on the cards.

It looks pretty 150k+ miles

Seller has had a few cars for sale over the last while, the divorce line is memorable. He had a little original Irish Austin 1100 (see pic 8) for sale before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

KevRossi wrote: »
    That Renault was for sale last summer I think, recently enough anyway. NCT ran out in 2013. Would help if he ran it through the NCT so we can get an idea as to how good or bad it really is, especially since travel is so difficult.

too old for an NCT...its classed as vintage isn't it??

too old for an NCT...its classed as vintage isn't it??

Only becomes exempt after 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Only becomes exempt after 40

Yup. Although he does allude to the fact that most classic cars aren't put through and only after 1.1.89 which changed a few years ago (thankfully as one of mine was registered 6.1.80!)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

That lad had some lovely classic cars a big Renault fan. He is on here. and is fussy about his cars i would say it is good under the paint.

11wingnut wrote: »
    That lad had some lovely classic cars a big Renault fan. He is on here. and is fussy about his cars i would say it is good under the paint.

I know the John you’re talking about, but I’m pretty sure that’s not him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

I Was VB wrote: »
    My old W124, it’s was a gorgeous motor. In my time of owing it I put a viscous fan clutch and pads all round in it. Although the gimpy reg plates, sticker on the back and tail pipe are new additions.

I sold it to the chap who’s selling it. It’s one motor I regret selling.

Did you put the wheels on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

11wingnut wrote: »
    It's absolutely not the John you're thinking of, but funnily enough he does know the seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Bono’s 450 Sel up for sale again only €50,000

I have recently seen this up close and I can honestly say it’s the worst re spray of any vehicle I have ever, ever seen. The paint is crazing on every panel and Also apart from the paint finish being atrocious, whoever did the work left on all the trims and chrome and destroyed the fittings with a mechanical sander. After painting everything in sight the paint and filler was scraped roughly back off the unmasked rubbers with a sharp blade gouging out lumps . , even the sun roof is welded shut with excess paint.

It really thought me a lesson about viewing classics at a distance over the web, and the potential dangers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U2-Bono-s-Mercedes/265077703574?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D179bd7a4b3474e0ba273aefa344cd698%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D133676536426%26itm%3D265077703574%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad4827cb3-7f73-11eb-8789-d616e88a7cf3%7Cparentrq%3A0df8a6ed1780a4b4d31869ebffe67276%7Ciid%3A1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

jucko wrote: »
    i used to own this,last owner spent a fair few bob on it,only sold it as he got a 200 turbo!! obviously sold it to this chap..... great car. my kids used to call it 'the clown car'.........i bought it off the service manager in bradys in castleknock

Sold. Had thought about it myself but couldn’t think of a reason to buy it,

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

con747 wrote: »

The fiat 126 mentioned here, I have to guess and say it's red and I'm a dealer in limerick ?

I can't access done deal but what are the thoughts on it ? Also any thoughts on the dealer ? Can't see a lot about them anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭con747

The fiat 126 mentioned here, I have to guess and say it's red and I'm a dealer in limerick ?

I can't access done deal but what are the thoughts on it ? Also any thoughts on the dealer ? Can't see a lot about them anywhere

Not red, more a creamy/mild yellow. In Donegal by a private seller.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Not red, more a creamy/mild yellow. In Donegal by a private seller.

Ah sorry, like I say I can't get into done deal.

There's interest in that one too. Do you reckon that would be a good buy ? Condition etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

There's interest in that one too. Do you reckon that would be a good buy ? Condition etc ?

A later 126 was guided at £1200 at an auction in the UK recently and went with a single bid of £4500. There's big demand for them.

"Looks" ok but who know's. It's a LHD. Maybe others here could give a better insight. Here's the contact details of seller if any use. Phone Colum on 087 675 4056

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bigus wrote: »
    Bono’s 450 Sel up for sale again only €50,000

I have recently seen this up close and I can honestly say it’s the worst re spray of any vehicle I have ever, ever seen. The paint is crazing on every panel and Also apart from the paint finish being atrocious, whoever did the work left on all the trims and chrome and destroyed the fittings with a mechanical sander. After painting everything in sight the paint and filler was scraped roughly back off the unmasked rubbers with a sharp blade gouging out lumps . , even the sun roof is welded shut with excess paint.

maybe Bono did it himself, the skinflint

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citro-eumln-bx-gt/27337383

This Citroen BX GT just came down in price by €1000.

Bumpers very faded, not sure if it's a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nearly sure I met that outside Ballinasloe today. Looked and sounded really well....and he wasn't sparing it. Anyone on here purchase?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-131-estate-panorama-cl/27401695

MTUwYWYyN2MwYmNiZDI3NWRjYTY2ZGE3MDUyMDM3YmLcEmnucUuJYe9-xx4v4g--aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI5MjM3Nzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ODUwN2IwNDBlMWMwYmY2MmNkMzJjZTc4YjcwZWQwMTltz1vbuHBdxaRzY865K7eFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI5MjM3ODJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

YjhlY2U0MmYyMTA0Y2IyMjYxYTQxNjA4MzExZTI4ZGVVi1F6m1gKvlIE6cV-kzHAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI5MjM3ODd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is cool! Originally a 1.6 auto and converted to a 2.0 tc 5 speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

w124man wrote: »
    Did you put the wheels on it?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

N2M0MWI2ZTRlMzY4ZGZiM2NkMWRjZjJlYzNmY2NiZTT3bwB22Jq3Duy1GpQJMoJQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzM0OTc2Njl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

At £2,650, there's got to be something horribly/expensively wrong with this. But I bloody love it, and it comes with original wheels and a a spare brand new exhaust.

What's the catch?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1989-mercedes-300te-6-cylinder-7-seater/27459352

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

Looks the same seller as that Mazda 121 last week judging by the photos

Merc seemingly has no MOT which would be a concern. Also, as its last (or last few) tests was carried out in NI there is no history online.

On the plus side, if it has been registered to a NI address you won't have to pay import duty or VAT on top of VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Nearly sure I met that outside Ballinasloe today. Looked and sounded really well....and he wasn't sparing it. Anyone on here purchase?

I thought I met it going west on old Athlone/Ballinasloe road yesterday too, an eye catcher alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

Merc seemingly has no MOT which would be a concern. Also, as its last (or last few) tests was carried out in NI there is no history online.

On the plus side, if it has been registered to a NI address you won't have to pay import duty or VAT on top of VRT.

Yeah, that's the drawback with the online MOT check. Though I was able to determine that the most recent MOT expired in October 2020. So at worst, it was issued a full MOT in October 2019...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

dramabob wrote: »

At £2,650, there's got to be something horribly/expensively wrong with this. But I bloody love it, and it comes with original wheels and a a spare brand new exhaust.

What's the catch?

There may be no catch but the seats have been changed, the original wheels are actually off a W210, the fan cowl is missing, the cover for the distributor cap is missing and the plug leads are all over the place. The pictures have changed since this morning. The catch probably is that its a very tired resprayed example hiding lots of lovely things for you to discover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

maybe Bono did it himself, the skinflint

Bono would’ve done a better job with 3 pairs of his darkest glasses on , in a dim shed by gaslight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Looks like it had a rough life.

Advertisement