Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

ELM327 wrote: »
    Not to impugn you good sir but I do believe the price is the reason that hasn't sold.

Dunno where you're getting that from. If the car is as stated it's well worth the asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Yep, registered June 1991, I bought it from Renault UK. It was a press car used for the launch of the Clio Mk4......and was driven by Nicole :cool:

I was going to ask did Nicole come with it but I thought you might not know what I was talking about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

swarlb wrote: »
    The ad states 'fitted with 2 x 12volt batteries May 2018'

May be difficult to get the 6v batteries in the right form factor and power rating these days.

2 x 12v in parallel will work the same as 2 x 6v in series but the Ah rating of the 12v batteries can be half that of the 6v ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's fair enough but I'd respectfully disagree.
    Dunno where you're getting that from. If the car is as stated it's well worth the asking.
    To the right person it is, but how many people are going to be that right person.
    If you're willing to wait months I'm sure someone will pick it up (or even a boardsie might see this thread and pick it up) but the target market is very small at that money.

You'll note I never said it wasnt worth it or no one would buy it. I said the price was the reason it wasnt selling, 2 mutually exclusive comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ELM327 wrote: »
    To the right person it is, but how many people are going to be that right person.
    That's why I'm not debating your comment on the price. I'm happy to pass it on to an enthusiast who will look after it but I'm not desperate to sell if that makes sense, same goes for the Clio.

Considering I have a very special Clio purchased directly from Renault UK and took an age to find an RSi I might be what you refer to as "the right person".

I'm also in the lucky position to be picking up a phase 1 R19 convertible in an hour in a special edition launch colour......but enough about that as its going straight into storage :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That's why I'm not debating your comment on the price. I'm happy to pass it on to an enthusiast who will look after it but I'm not desperate to sell if that makes sense, same goes for the Clio.

Considering I have a very special Clio purchased directly from Renault UK and took an age to find an RSi I might be what you refer to as "the right person".

I'm also in the lucky position to be picking up a phase 1 R19 convertible in an hour in a special edition launch colour......but enough about that as its going straight into storage :cool:

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

WildWater wrote: »
    I was going to ask did Nicole come with it

Papa wants to keep Nicole all for himself this time :pac:

kaizersoze wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    [IMG][/img]Whats-App-Image-2019-10-01-at-10-45-20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

That's class looking! I picked up an 04 307cc during the summer and got hooked on the open top thing again. Its great crack, if not very practical.

That's class looking! I picked up an 04 307cc during the summer and got hooked on the open top thing again. Its great crack, if not very practical.

I'm tempted to seek out a Megane 1 or 2 Cabriolet, although the new ones are properly rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

[IMG][/img]Whats-App-Image-2019-10-01-at-10-45-20.jpg

That's lovely. I had a phase 1 SuperVan and 2 phase 2 cars back in the day. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

alias no.9 wrote: »
    May be difficult to get the 6v batteries in the right form factor and power rating these days.

2 x 12v in parallel will work the same as 2 x 6v in series but the Ah rating of the 12v batteries can be half that of the 6v ones.

GC batteries near Enniskillen will build you any kind of battery you need.
    Bought tens of thousands of the old rubber cases from manufacturers as they closed down, and you will get a brand new battery identical to its 1950's original.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Having had a 6v car, it's straight-forward enough to obtain a battery, but some folk don't want to part with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/barn-find-bmw-325i-e34-es/23125609

525i . Looks clean, but no NCT for 15 years. I've been told these engines don't like being rested up for long periods. Could be trouble in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

525i . Looks clean, but no NCT for 15 years. I've been told these engines don't like being rested up for long periods. Could be trouble in disguise

Love the 6 pot E34 but for that price and the car not being classic tax yet, I would expect an NCT. If it would pass easily, the seller would have done so already. So like yourself, I would be weary. Could be perfectly fine of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'd be tired too.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

What you've been told is bull. The m50 engine in that car is an absolute unit. I've one in a drift car, handles constant ragging, boiled it so hard it cut out (viscus fan decided it didnt want to be part of the pulley anymore) and a compression test after showed no trouble. Had it parked for two years, pulled it out and did a drift day, ran perfect all day. Have delivered simular levels of abuse to the 2ltr variant too and no problems either.

Again if id the space id be all over it for that price. I've a 518 e34 waiting for a respray and will inevitably end up costing more than the price of that car. Classic tax next year also

EDIT: what i should add also is obviously if its been sitting for that length of time without being started then fresh oil and filters, give it a few cranks with the coils disconnected then fire it up and never look back. I would expect that some bushings will be in poor condition and you'll eventually end up replacing most of them not far down the line when back on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Peter T wrote: »
    What you've been told is bull. The m50 engine in that car is an absolute unit.
    Tbh, I was kinda surprised when I was told. I worked on them back in the day, but they were only 3 or 4 years old at that stage, so wouldn't have had much of a chance to give trouble, but they seemed pretty solid.
    Peter T wrote: »

Again if id the space id be all over it for that price. I've a 518 e34 waiting for a respray and will inevitably end up costing more than the price of that car. Classic tax next year also

I don't know a lot about drifting. Do you trailer the car to the track? If so, then the tax I suppose wouldn't be a problem, but if you're using it on the road you've got a year to wait, before it's classic tax. (The reg number is high, and the NCT site says it's due in November, and last had been tested in 2001), so that almost €1100 if you were to use it, before the classic tax would kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I've an e36 for the drifting, and its taken to the track on a trailer. Personally i think its too risky to go drive the beans off a car at a track all day and expect to drive home. I never really thought about it not being eligible till the end of the year, always just assumed once it hit the 30th year it was good to go. Still could tip at it over the winter, tax it for the few months and wait till you get the lower rate. Hopefully it gets the attention it deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I dunno, with only 79000 on it, I think it looks a bit tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

emeldc wrote: »
    I dunno, with only 79000 on it, I think it looks a bit tired.

Where...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Where...?
    It's just an opinion. I wouldn't buy it anyway. There's way too much work to do to it. It's a pity he didn't spend as much time cleaning the outside of the car as he did with the engine. And the r/h/r quarter panel looks ropey as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That boot is comical

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Siri would have done a better job writing the description :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

1968 Cortina, looks smashing. Must be one of the few of these without the usual misaligned hood, engine bay is spotless.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mrk-2-cortina-deluxe/22895247

OTA4NjBlYjYzYTA2Y2NmNzJhNjc0MmNkZGMwMTJkM2JuGzZWXLL9tr5el6H-3ArKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE5MzI2NzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I thought these were making stronger money? Is it just that the earlier hatch is more desirable?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/cars-for-sale/23153152

NDZlNDhmYTI1YmQwNDFlY2ZhZDdlNmYzYmE0M2Y0NzOS1lSRdArcjQa-47cPnjXHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzM4Njk2NDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nearly 4K views in a day, I’d say it’s cheap but probably for a reason. Also 4x4 isn’t as desirable AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

My first serious car, and best of all, it was free! Barclays gave me one of those as a company car back in the early 90's when I joined their IT team in London. Thieves did in 2 doors and 4 driver's windows in 6 months before I gave up on it.

The only mileage on it was from 3 memorable trips home.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

I think its well overpriced for what it is.

Advertisement