Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobbies and past times

Options
2»

Comments

smash wrote: »
    So lads, what do you do in your spare time?

How many times do I have to say it :)

Weapons.

Go Karts.

Pain.

Money.

Winner takes all :)

But tongue back out of cheek - a lot of it depends on where you want to be. Because sometimes the difference between having too much time and too little - depends on how well it was pre booked in the first place :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah very much as you get older even if you dont have kids you find friends that do drift away.

We have a 13 month old, so for me it was playing football every tuesday that was the thing i kept.

however starting a masters next month, baby number 2 arriving in Jan, so football will stop until the masters is over.

I'll still have my sunday evening watching the NFL but most of my other time will be spent study, a sacrifice for sure but hopefully one thats worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

fits wrote: »
    Horses. Love riding especially hunting but find it difficult to keep up right now as am out of the country a lot. Getting more into breeding side of things now. Have an Irish draught mare and plan on breeding draughts and proper Irish half bred hunters. Going to a county show tomorrow with the mare and foal.
    Have been into running and cycling but office work is ruining my back and had to give both up.

Who do you hunt with?? nothing better than meeting a hendge on a wrong stride and making it to the other side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

OSI wrote: »
    Mountain biking. Very much an all weather activity and can be done in a group or solitary. On my own I find it a great way to escape, enjoy the piece, quiet and scenery and just allow my mind to focus on nothing but not buckling myself off a rock. In a group there's a great rivalry and competitiveness to it, that helps push your fitness boundaries and a lot of trails will see you take a break between sections that allow for a bit of banter. Not the cheapest hobby mind, and certainly capable of robbing you of a solid set of bones.
    Now thats something i wouldn't mind getting back into. My kids are getting hardy now so they might be interested. I used to do all my own bike maintenance with the exception of spokes. That be a dark art!
    I always had an interest in astronomy so recently i done dealed a telescope for myself and up until the summer nights were getting bright i spent a good deal learning my way around the sky.
    Recently one of my lads wanted an rc car so i got myself an rc plane as well. After many applications of silicone and duct tape it is still going, albeit slower with the extra weight! Very enjoyable hobby although nerve wracking coming in for landing! Gets the heart pumping.
    Speaking of which, i recently took up running which i never thought i would do. Now all the family runs and its a very social and healthy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrAviation

General aviation;
    being a private pilot (not working for an airline)
    when I tell a lot of people, they say oh you must be rich and all that, but not at all. Really relaxing and just good craic, learning to fly isn't too cheap - about 10 grand here, but you don't need to fork out 10 grand to learn to fly. i really recommend buying an introductory flight for 80 quid or so from the airfields around the country, especially if youre into engines and cars and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Gym, cycling, cooking. Basically anything that distracts me from my favourite past time, binge drinking. I started playing golf regularly too. Really enjoying it. Also started playing piano again. But yeah I don't have any major passions I just try and enjoy the comfortable life I have. If you're happy you're happy you don't have to be some action man. Reading a lot about and practicing mindfulness. Helps you appreciate life more.
    Going on dates with girls from the web is interesting too. I don't take it too seriously but I've met all sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Gym, cycling, cooking. Basically anything that distracts me from my favourite past time, binge drinking. I started playing golf regularly too. Really enjoying it. Also started playing piano again. But yeah I don't have any major passions I just try and enjoy the comfortable life I have. If you're happy you're happy you don't have to be some action man. Reading a lot about and practicing mindfulness. Helps you appreciate life more.
    Going on dates with girls from the web is interesting too. I don't take it too seriously but I've met all sorts.
    Tis well for ya. The last date i went on was 15 years ago and resulted in marriage kids and mortgage!
    Ah to be back dating again...

shedweller wrote: »
    Tis well for ya. The last date i went on was 15 years ago and resulted in marriage kids and mortgage!
    Ah to be back dating again...

It's not all it's cracked up to be. But yeah I suppose it is well for me :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Cut out the talk on dating please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I brew beer and rebuild old cars.
    Or I would if it wasn't for all the beer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Evil Corp

So lads

I want to start playing golf or pitch n putt

How exactly do I go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Currently I'm into weightlifting, trail running & rock climbing.

Like to try new things but I really need to be able to see some benefit in what it is to stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Evil Corp wrote: »
    So lads

A few evenings at a driving range where you can rent clubs would be a good start.

Evil Corp wrote: »
    So lads

Where do you live? Some great p and p in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

smash wrote:
    A few evenings at a driving range where you can rent clubs would be a good start.

Ensuring of course that the time is spent on the chipping green. The longest shot you'll play is about 70 yards. Not a shot for a driver.

Ensuring of course that the time is spent on the chipping green. The longest shot you'll play is about 70 yards. Not a shot for a driver.

You can use any club in the range though. I used to just go down to St Ann's park and chip the ball around. Great p and p there too mind.

Advertisement