Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobbies and past times

Options
  • 08-04-2015 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I used to be involved with a few car clubs and motor events, going to track days, shows or races on the regular. But as the group got older and kids and marriages got in the way it all slowed down a bit. While I still enjoy it all, I don't get involved in the event organisation any more and rarely get out on track these days. But still, I've met some of my best friends through it all.

Then a few years ago myself and some friends were talking about how great it was going fishing as a kid and we decided there and then to start doing it again. We bought all the gear again and spent a year or so out fishing 2/3 times a week. The hobby started to just fade away with bad weather conditions and the glaring fact that there seems to be no fish worth catching on the east coast of Ireland any more.

There's always been the usual few pints and maybe catch a rugby match but hobby wise, fast forward and in the last 7-8 months we've been out golfing every weekend, sometimes twice a weekend if it's decent out, and during a discussion about planning an upcoming stag party someone said "Lets go golfing in Portugal", and that's when the penny dropped... we're getting old!

I couldn't help but bring up the fishing, and now the golfing and said "What's next lads?", and apart from the usual 'coke n hookers' stuff everyone just thought about it for a minute and we decided to just try and stick to the golf for as long we can.

So lads, what do you do in your spare time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd love to have more hobbies but having two small kids and a full-time job that pays the bills but little else has left me without the spare time or cash to actively pursue many of the things I'd be interested in taking up (diving, surfing, classic car restoration). It'd be great to be able to make the time for, and to find a hobby with a social aspect but I've never been any use at sports and I'm away for work quite regularly so even the usual weekly game of 5-a-side, golf or tag rugby doesn't suit me.

My core group of friends have ended up scattered across the country and the few that live close together are all on the other side of the country so when I see them nowadays it tends to just be for pints (we've made an effort to start doing a weekend away together every year now that the stags have started to dry up as we've all got married etc.).

These days my main hobbies tend to be more solitary affairs or things I can do with the kids: got back into open-water swimming last summer and hoping to get back to it when the weather gets better again, fishkeeping and I still enjoy getting the camera out now and again. Honestly though, most of my evenings are spent just watching TV with Mrs Sleepy and maybe having a few beers together at the weekend. Reading this back isn't making for pleasant reading tbh. Must try and make some changes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Netflix mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

When I was younger (not that I am that old) I used to be really into fishing, I would go out a lot with my grandfather, unfortunately as his health declined he could not take being in active for very long as the cold got to him. I tried it a few times solitary or with mates but it just wasn't the same.

I kind of drifted apart from a lot of my friends due to moving for college / jobs ect, or those that seemed to grow older but not grow up so I ended up drifting into more solitary pursuits such as model making. Nothing wrong with solitary pursuits just that sometimes it is nice to share a common interest / passion with friends.

About eight years ago I took up restoring and running steam trains as part of the RPSI, and I got hooked. Admittedly the interest was there before I joined but the variety of work and almost family like atmosphere that you can get in a small organisation kept me hooked. I also appreciate the really good friendships I have made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Me, I am a bit of a peculiar case. Let's put it this way - I am the archetypal "solitary" type. Even as a kid, I didn't quite enjoy playing with other children - I still clearly remember seeing them as a "disturbance". If it was about playing Lego, for example, even at 5 or 6 my idea of "fun" would be building fairly complex and accurate contraptions - planes, spaceships, cars. Other kids, they were only good at throwing the bricks around and making a mess. Yes, ended up being an engineer, Dilbert style!

I am not socially inept - quite the contrary actually, but I feel at my best when not a soul is in sight. It comes as no surprise that my hobbies are mostly "one-man-shows". Oh, and science/engineering related :)

Building model airplanes out of plastic kits - Revell, airfix and the likes. Mostly airliners. It requires a degree of precision and attention that is quite something, and the satisfaction when the job is finished can be immense. Also hones an array of manual skills - assembly, painting and the likes.

I am also building a model railway - it was one of my childhood dreams I never managed to get close to due to space and financial constraints. Now I have the resources, and lack of a wife to nag me about "playing with toys", so be it! Again, this is an activity that comes in handy because of the skills it requires you to learn: woodwork, working with plastics, electric circuitry design/building, electronics.

Being 34, I also grew up with videogames. I have seen them mature, from mostly children oriented to the mainly adult-themed array we have nowadays. I enjoy playing every now and then, although my taste has refined a bit (it's mostly just driving and strategy games now). I also like to try my hand at designing and coding some small games - never finished a single one of them, but I did start a few projects :)

I am also into cars - I can do some of the smaller mechanical jobs myself (essentially the stuff that doesn't require an inspection bridge), and often enjoy driving aimlessly; Especially if the weather is fair, and I can roll the windows down to savour the engine note. Sometimes I join some Alfisti meetings, but they are few and far in between in Ireland. Nice people to meet at those, anyway. Never tried a track day, but I count on changing that soon.

I exercise regularly, weight work in the gym. I pretend to not really be into it and only do it to avoid ballooning to a Goodyear-blimp size, but the reality is that I have gotten quite interested in the last couple of years. Also, seeing the result both in terms of health and appearance is extremely gratifying.

Finally, won't turn away a good book, have quite some interest in astronomy and science in general, and possibly some more I can't think about right now. In a nutshell, if I am say on a week's holiday at home, alone, there's not a chance in hell I'd ever get to the "I have nothing to do!" stage :)

I honestly think it's very important to have stuff you like and want to do that doesn't require any external factors to align - friends being available, weather being good and so on.

Some friends, every now and then, raise the age-old question "how do you have any time to do this stuff?"; My answer is normally very simple: how much time do you normally waste in front of the TV every day? :P
    About eight years ago I took up restoring and running steam trains as part of the RPSI, and I got hooked. Admittedly the interest was there before I joined but the variety of work and almost family like atmosphere that you can get in a small organisation kept me hooked. I also appreciate the really good friendships I have made there.

That is exceptional, great job sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

I had only one all consuming hobby in my life and that was history. I could have done it in collage but I thought the compulsion would kill off the sense of wonder it has always brought to my life. Was I right? I suppose I will never know.

Other than that I like to try a lot of things in small doses, stick to it for a few months and then only do it occasionally. I have been fishing (river and sea) regularly but I can only describe myself as awful. Its more for the peace and quiet than anything else. I dabbled in writing for various internet publications and a blog but that also fizzled out over time. Have a few documentaries on you tube (Photo Stage Slideshow Producer at its finest (: Lately myself and my dad have been roasting our own coffee beans using the frying pan. Starbucks is history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

I had only one all consuming hobby in my life and that was history. I could have done it in collage but I thought the compulsion would kill off the sense of wonder it has always brought to my life. Was I right? I suppose I will never know.

Other than that I like to try a lot of things in small doses, stick to it for a few months and then only do it occasionally. I have been fishing (river and sea) regularly but I can only describe myself as awful. Its more for the peace and quiet than anything else. I dabbled in writing for various internet publications and a blog but that also fizzled out over time. Have a few documentaries on you tube (Photo Stage Slideshow Producer at its finest (: Lately myself and my dad have been roasting our own coffee beans using the frying pan. Starbucks is history.

Try getting back into it Zariah Curved Hoodlum. I love history. Its my main hobby, and has been for the last 6-7 years. Didn't do it in college or anything, liked it in school but school makes a habit of destroying the things you actually enjoy.
    But, that does not mean you can't enjoy it today. The only books I purchase or read are History books, especially medieval history, early and late, I especially love learning about the crusades and its impact on today's world. I recommend Thomas Asbridge's books on the crusades, if you'd like to delve back into the subject of history. Makes 'Game of Thrones' look the fiction it is! If you had that enjoyment for History in the past, you will always have it. That's the way it was and is for me anyways.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

This is actually a topic that has been on my mind a lot recently! I feel like I used to have a load of hobbies that I really enjoyed but I can never make the time/find the passion they once inspired in me any more.

Nothing off the wall but to list them out:

1. Art - My first true love and hobby. I used to love to draw (not that I was ever amazing). I used to draw anime mostly and it really used to calm me, working on a piece for hours on end with the satisfaction of getting it just right.

2. Video games - Again another huge hobby. I always loved immersing myself in a good game for a few hours and would try my hand at anything really.

3. Coding/Web Design - Tried my hand at this for a few months and actually moved along quite quickly for someone who was self taught. Bought a few good books and used to enjoy designing and coding web pages (an extension of the art I suppose). I always meant to further my coding skills by learning app development.

4. Exercise/Weight work - This is the newest, less than a year at it. Started it with the help of a friend who runs a gym to lose weight and have had great results both health and appearance wise. Really getting interested in the lifting side of things now though and looking to start bulking (I hope).

I have had a few more smaller hobbies but they I see as my main ones. Also like to read and want to try writing sometime also. I have found though in the last number of years with starting a full time job that I have less and less interest in pursuing my hobbies which gets me down at times. I find it hard to find the passion when I get home from work now and miss that feeling (to the point I worry there's something deeper wrong!). Even writing this I find my attention drifting and waning and I am lacking interest. When I do get time off I always have great plans but never seem to follow through as I plan way too much!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I watch TV mostly

I do the gym buy that doesn't count as a hobby I feel when it's nesessary for health and astetic reasons. Sold my motorbike recently due to lack of use. Used to be out 2/3 times a week on spins but that stopped what the baby came. Tried my hand at archery but didn't last long. Trying to get into cycling but the weather doesn't help. I mostly work, go to the gym and watch TV.

I'm sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Gaming.

A great way to relax and chill from the worldly problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

nc19 wrote: »
    I watch TV mostly

I do the gym buy that doesn't count as a hobby I feel when it's nesessary for health and astetic reasons. Sold my motorbike recently due to lack of use. Used to be out 2/3 times a week on spins but that stopped what the baby came. Tried my hand at archery but didn't last long. Trying to get into cycling but the weather doesn't help. I mostly work, go to the gym and watch TV.

I'm sad

Suggestion: get rid of the TV, or at least the Sky/UPC subscription (if you also use the TV as a screen for an Xbox/Playstation).

The fact is this: I don't like watching TV, not at all; Yet, years ago when I still lived with my parents and they had a Sky subscription, if I did sit down because there was something I wanted to follow , I ended up staying there afterwards watching some absolutely random stuff I had totally no interest in, on pure inertia, jumping from channel to channel.

So since I moved out (and 2000km away to Ireland!) seven years ago, I never felt the need for a pay tv subscription. The stuff I want to watch (mostly F1 races and Top Gear, as long as it lasted!) I can get through streaming. I have a Netflix account, but rarely use it - It's only 7.99 a month, but I'm thinking about killing it as the movies are "meh" at best, and it's becoming more and more about cr@ppy TV shows.

If there is something you want to watch (football game, movie, documentary), do it then turn off and do something that you like, rather than sit idly staring at people telling you what you should like and buy.

Also, the wife and her Coronation Street/Emmerdale/East Enders/Fair City or whatever, is no excuse - I guess she could do with a proper hobby herself, leaving the baby in your care for a while :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

H3llR4iser wrote:
    Suggestion: get rid of the TV, or at least the Sky/UPC subscription (if you also use the TV as a screen for an Xbox/Playstation).

When I say tv I mean watching programmes/series mostly on the laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Well up until a while ago, squash was something that I really enjoyed several times a week. But an ankle injury put a stop to that. I really miss it.

So to replace that I've taken up cycling, I really enjoy getting on the bike for an hour or two.

Plus recently completed a photography course, so looking forward to getting into that over the Summer.

Like many others, I'm very guilty of staring blankly at the. Tv screen so I'm going to keep an eye on that for the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I tend to spend my spare time waiting for the next day at work which is a bit sad. The fact that virtually all of my hobbies are solitary doesn't help. I've rediscovered my love of reading and tend to alternate between politics and fantasy. Used to be quite the gamer but that's been toned down. Would love it if someone could tell me how to play Rome: Total War though. Tend to spend a lot of time watching films and TV shows as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

That looks really good, looks like you could work your way up to driving the train if you were good at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Be Yourself

When I was younger (not that I am that old) I used to be really into fishing, I would go out a lot with my grandfather, unfortunately as his health declined he could not take being in active for very long as the cold got to him. I tried it a few times solitary or with mates but it just wasn't the same.

I kind of drifted apart from a lot of my friends due to moving for college / jobs ect, or those that seemed to grow older but not grow up so I ended up drifting into more solitary pursuits such as model making. Nothing wrong with solitary pursuits just that sometimes it is nice to share a common interest / passion with friends.

That is class. Wish I had an engineering background and could get involved with something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

That is class. Wish I had an engineering background and could get involved with something like that.

Most people involved do not have any engineering background, great if you do but nothing stopping you if you don't. Photographers, accountants, solicitors, students, musicians bakers ect it takes all sorts to keep things going. I you are interested I say go for it, I am very glad I did.
    Realistically all you need to join is society membership (for insurance), steel toe boots and clothes you will never see clean again.Everything else you can learn as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I have had a lot over the years, but most have fallen by the way side and this is what I'm left with:

1. Football/soccer - I moved to England two years ago and joined a Sunday league team at the start of this season. I got really lucky. The guys on the team are really sound. When I look at the teams we play against, I realise how lucky I was. I'm moving back to Ireland in a few months again so I'll have to start from scratch again.

2. Travelling - I love it. I love going to see new places. I mainly do it with my girlfriend. We've been to London twice, Connemara, Budapest, Rome and Liverpool in the past year. We're going to Paris in a few months as well. We're not bothered in the nightlife when we go there. I just like seeing these places. I don't know how many galleries I've been to in those places. My girlfriend loves art so we always find something to go to, even if it's an art auction in Clifden.

3. Gym - I'm slowly becoming better at going to the gym and sticking to the routine. I'm really enjoying it. It helps when you see results. I'm not doing any cardio at the moment which is damaging any chance I have of getting on the football team. That will come with time though.

4. Man United games - I've been to about 25 or so matches over the past two seasons. I'm living an hours drive from Old Trafford, so I can cut out a lot of the costs of travel and so on. I go on my own. I was slagged by one of my friends who couldn't understand why I went on my own. I've no problem with it. I prefer it. I can do what I want, when I want and not have to wait around for others or talk to anyone during the game. It costs a lot though. I've probably spent upwards of £2,000 in total. I don't drink anymore and that's my main expenditure when it comes to entertainment.

And here are the hobbies I want to get back into/start up:

1. Reading - I was an avid reader when I was younger and then I found the internet. I have a Kindle which is helping.

2. Golf - I loved it but I don't have the time at the moment. I hope to get back at some point.

3. Ukulele - I bought one last year. I just need to find the time to actually start playing it. I played the piano and violin when I was younger. I would like a different instrument.

4. Music - I loved listening to hip-hop. I could spend all day doing it. I've tailed off recently. I need to get back and start listening to new music again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Cycling, golf, Playing Guitar, chess on line and sleeping..

Oh and my wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Used to love cycling, go karting and 5 a side.

Unfortunately I fell out of love with the bike about 8 years ago, was spending too much on karting (plus the local club closed down) and moved about 60 miles away from the 5 a side group!

But since I was knee high to a grasshopper I've been fascinated by cars. Have an Uncle, who, along with a friend of his was always tinkering with cars and I loved going to his.

When I was 13 or 14 (we can't agree on the year!) we went to a car show and he gave me money towards a model Ferrari F40 and I was hooked. Currently have approx 550 models! And I don't know how many books on different car makers/models etc.

Myself and my brother have restored a few cars now and we, along with my Uncle, my brother in law and some friends, have gone to loads of shows in England over the years. Have been to Goodwood Festival of Speed a few times (camping) and to the Isle of Man TT. Don't go to many in Ireland but hope to be in Durrow on Sunday!

Another past time is camping and myself and the Wife spent 8 or 9 brilliant days in Clifden Eco Camp last summer.

Have recently bought a road bike as would like to get back at that again too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Brewing.

Every third Saturday me and my mates get together ad brew up 42 litres of beer, stick the last batch into bottles and then drink a few. It works out to cost about 70c for a 500ml bottle, and the fact that there are 5 of us involved means the costs of equipment etc is kept down and spread around.

We won the Gold Medal at the national homebrewing championship this year, in the Stout category (47 entries in that catergory alone), so that was amazing.

We brew all styles and later in the summer we'll be hosting a BBQ/Party and supplying a keg of our own brew, plus many bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I go on my own. I was slagged by one of my friends who couldn't understand why I went on my own.

Never understood why some people feel the need to slag others because they like to do things on there own, Probably because there not comfortable doing things on there own.

I enjoy gaming and trying to get all the achievements/trophies in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Never understood why some people feel the need to slag others because they like to do things on there own, Probably because there not comfortable doing things on there own.

Exactly. That same friend would be forever calling over to us and pestering to do things because she was bored. She was incapable of being on her own for any length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just had a revelation about the staring at the TV thing that a lot of us seem to do. I am getting back into the gym this week, used to really enjoy it but fell it but fell out of the habit. Determined to get back into it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Brewing.

Every third Saturday me and my mates get together ad brew up 42 litres of beer, stick the last batch into bottles and then drink a few. It works out to cost about 70c for a 500ml bottle, and the fact that there are 5 of us involved means the costs of equipment etc is kept down and spread around.

We won the Gold Medal at the national homebrewing championship this year, in the Stout category (47 entries in that catergory alone), so that was amazing.

We brew all styles and later in the summer we'll be hosting a BBQ/Party and supplying a keg of our own brew, plus many bottles.

Fair play, would love to get in to homebrewing myself if only I had the time. I was at the Zurich beer festival yesterday. There were 130 beers on offer and I tried my best to get through as many as I could.

Despite the offer on choice from so many commercial brewers the best one was from a small husband and wife homebrew operation. Despite the fact that they had big queues for their beer they made the time to chat to everyone who wanted to know a little bit more about their beer. You could tell it was a real labour of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Brewing.

If you're in Galway, I think I know you/one of your mates and have had some of your beers. Really good stuff!

It's a hobby I'd love to take up had I a garage (or even a utility room) in which to do it. Have made a few fairly drinkable ciders over the years and used to do peach schnappes when I was in college but it would be nice to kick it up a level...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

apologies for the thread ressurection but ive just found this section of the forum. My hobbies:

Horses: dad has always kept horses and due to the fact i was fearless and probably cheap labour we have broken lots and schooled them for other people. Horse dealing definitely paid for my education and the majority of my sisters too. I had been keen as mustard to become a jockey but im 6ft 2 and heavy boned

Fieldsports: Im an avid supporter of fieldsports, hunting , shooting & fishing. As being from the country and the only boy in my small village i needed to occupy myself somehow. Therefore i spent every waking hour outside if i wasnt on a horse i was in the fields In the good air be it hail rain or snow. I had a terrier who was literally my constant companion from the age of 8. we went ferreting, snaring and later when my uncle gave me a pellet gun at 14 shooting.

Reading: i love reading, due to the stress of the day job i will often get home and just lie on my bed reading a book.

Machinery: im restoring an mf 135 tractor at the moment. Its a slow job but im getting there eventually. This will be used when i eventually get to move home and hopefully have my own bit of land

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Hobbies.... Have very few myself. I used to be in the reserve, circumstances changed and other stuff... Resulted in me giving it up. An important chapter of my life closed.

I do clay shooting. I used a fixed choke mirouku. I love it! Contrary to my username, I don't shoot wild pigeons :p

My main passtime, surprise surprise, I root with vehicles. This evenings task is to setup a turbo for my daily driver. Turbo is from a C250 td, going into a reamed out T2 housing to go onto an XUD engine.

Does going out on the pull count as a passtime? :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know that one FS. I was mad into the fishing myself. In my case the oul dry fly for trout with my dad and later a couple of mates. My da kept it going until a few months before he died in his 80's so he was lucky, but when he passed away and so did a couple of said mates at far too young an age, it really took the pleasure out of it. Like you I tried it a few times on my own, but it never felt the same. :(

I still have all the kit, mine and his. Joke was he was more the techie one with the latest carbon fibre/kevlar/boron and I was the split cane, later the B&W Hexagraph with silk lines fuddy duddy oddball. :D It was surprisingly good exercise. I remember bringing a mate of mine, a chap far stronger and fitter than I, who after a few hours wading up a river was well knackered. Funny though I found carbon rods tired me more quickly than cane. Yea the latter are heavier, but if you let them do the work they are a better spring than the higher speed carbon stuff IMHO. Only for small rivers though, the lighter carbon is the man on lakes and big rivers. Silk lines though a pain in the arse as far as care and prep go are a superior line IMHO. Float higher, cause less disturbance, have near zero line memory and being thinner cut through the air better and with care can last a lifetime(and make the best intermediate sinker ever if left untreated). Even my modernist dad kept his 1940's silk line in rotation up to the second last time he cast a line. Eeee, t'is all coming back now. :D
    Does going out on the pull count as a passtime? :o
    Only if you collate your results in a ledger or spreadsheet. :D

Hobbies? Hard to pin down TBH. At this stage my gaff looks like a museum, with examples of old furniture, fossils, flint tools from pre modern humans, old books and various antiques, art and such. :o That's before we get to clocks and watches. I missed my calling as a curator I think.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Horses. Love riding especially hunting but find it difficult to keep up right now as am out of the country a lot. Getting more into breeding side of things now. Have an Irish draught mare and plan on breeding draughts and proper Irish half bred hunters. Going to a county show tomorrow with the mare and foal.
    Have been into running and cycling but office work is ruining my back and had to give both up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Not one hobby here really except watching films. Find I can lose myself in a film for a few hours and it sorts out my chi so tospeak.

Advertisement