Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application help

Options
  • 07-04-2015 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Good evening gents, filling out this yolk as I've done before . Is an Enfield 303 restricted ? Differing opinions, firearms officer unsure as we'll. cheers for any input. Jay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭moreau118

as far as i no its anything over .308 is restricted and i think someone told me before they bought one up in duffys galway a few years ago and licensed it for deer without any hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

moreau118 wrote: »
    as far as i no its anything over .308 is restricted and i think someone told me before they bought one up in duffys galway a few years ago and licensed it for deer without any hassle

Hmm thanks man. It's good to know I could have it for deer. It's just a weird situation, I have a lever action that's restricted but the Enfield looks so much more lethal ye know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭moreau118

ya as i said though im not 100 percent but if you ring duffys im sure theyd be able to tell you i definatley no they were selling em before

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

jaysblades wrote: »
    Good evening gents, filling out this yolk as I've done before . Is an Enfield 303 restricted ? Differing opinions, firearms officer unsure as we'll. cheers for any input. Jay.

Not restricted, if reason is target shooting you'll need range membership, competition history and if for Deer you'll need deer license. Otherwise no issues.

Savage93 wrote: »
    Not restricted, if reason is target shooting you'll need range membership, competition history and if for Deer you'll need deer license. Otherwise no issues.

Ok cool, have the range membership. Cheers man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This was an issue some years back. Now i've no interest or knowledge of old firearms, but the problem arose because some Enfield, IIRC, depending on year of manufacture were on the .308 threshold. Others were slightly above it. Meaning two people with the same guns could technically have a restricted and unrestricted license for the exact same gun.

That doesn't answer your question but i'd be a better bet to call Duffy's, ask them the exact caliber and then proceed from there.

Also the lethality of a firearm has no bearing on it's ability to be classed as restricted or unrestricted. The lever action is restricted because it's over .308 (the 38, .357, and .44 they usually use are larger than .308 caliber) and because the ammo is pistol (hence restricted) ammo. Again i'm not overly familiar with these types of guns but that is the gist of it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

The bore diameter across the lands measures only .303" and this method of measuring is more common in Europe AFAIK, thus it's a. 303 on the SAMMI institute..
    AFAIK everyone here who has them licensed has just a standard non restricted licence.
    IIRC some people here contacted the justice dept and had bit confirmed that these are licensed under a standard licence.

I understand that and i'm not going to go into a long drawn out discussion on it because as said above i don't use old guns and have no interest in them. This topic came up before in the forum, and i've even spoken to lads on the range that shoot such vintage guns who told me of this issue. It comes about from some being .308 (7.82), and others up to .311 (7.9) Apparently.

The gun is unrestricted. Even if it fell into the category of being slightly above the .308 limit the difference is so small as to make it practically irrelevant. IOW if it were .311 and not the .308 then the difference is 0.003 and considering it meets none of the other requirements for a restricted firearm (semi auto, "assault", etc) it's a safe bet to class it as unrestricted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ive ticked un restricted, I'll let it in tomorrow. When your firearms officer isn't sure it's best to ask.

The joy that is our licensing system says that he doesn't have to know. You do.

Meaning if you apply for an unrestricted license on a restricted firearm, whether you knew it was restricted or not, the onus is on you as is the blame for getting the wrong license.

Great isn't it?

Unrestricted will be fine. Hopefully one of the vintage lads can confirm but i'd be fairly certain you're okay.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    The joy that is our licensing system says that he doesn't have to know. You do.

Meaning if you apply for an unrestricted license on a restricted firearm, whether you knew it was restricted or not, the onus is on you as is the blame for getting the wrong license.

Great isn't it?

Unrestricted will be fine. Hopefully one of the vintage lads can confirm but i'd be fairly certain you're okay.

Cool thanks man, yea it puzzles me too. I understand the diameter thing, but when I shoot my restricted 38 I'm thinking cool, when I shoot the 303, I'm thinking god dam ! I'm more in awe of the 303.

That is cartridge size or chambering and not caliber. I mean look at it this way. A 9mm is a restricted round yet a .308 is unrestricted. Spot the difference:

Advertisement