Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect problems

Options
  • 01-04-2015 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

How do architects charge.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Like a wounded bull...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If you mean a break down of their services on an invoice, I have no idea. The only time I used an architect was about 20 years ago for a small domestic job on the front of the house. He came, measured up, wrote down my requirements and left. A few weeks later the plans arrived with the invoice for several hundred quid (can't remember how much). He never even came to see if the job was done to spec. It could have fallen down for all he cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    If you mean a break down of their services on an invoice, I have no idea. The only time I used an architect was about 20 years ago for a small domestic job on the front of the house. He came, measured up, wrote down my requirements and left. A few weeks later the plans arrived with the invoice for several hundred quid (can't remember how much). He never even came to see if the job was done to spec. It could have fallen down for all he cared.

I trust you paid him?

I did. It was the first and last time I ever used an architect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He never even came to see if the job was done to spec. It could have fallen down for all he cared.
    Had you employed him to plan it, or to supervise the construction as well?

OP; depends on what you asked him to do.

they carefully listen to what you want them to do for you.
    then estimate how much time is invloved for them
    then calculate a fee.

Inspection report?
    Planning Application?
    BER Calcs?
    Construction drawings?
    Design Certifier ?
    Assigned Certifier?
    Health and Safety Project supervisor?
    Mindreader?

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Like a wounded bull...

thick skinned and likely to charge anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

It can be a % of the project cost.

the_syco wrote: »
    Had you employed him to plan it, or to supervise the construction as well?.....

I asked him to draw up plans for the job. I assumed that he would follow up the job. I didn't expect him to supervise the job, just to inspect it and make sure it was built to his specifications so I could be sure it was done properly. I wouldn't have known if they had used the right materials or not. Anyway its all water under the bridge now as it happened so long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I asked him to draw up plans for the job. I assumed that he would follow up the job. I didn't expect him to supervise the job, just to inspect it and make sure it was built to his specifications so I could be sure it was done properly. I wouldn't have known if they had used the right materials or not. Anyway its all water under the bridge now as it happened so long ago.

You did not engage him to inspect the works, but yet you expected him to inspect the works???

I asked him to draw up plans for the job
    So... you got what you asked for, and don't like architectures he didn't come back and supervise the build for free. Bleh. You get what you pay ask for, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

kceire wrote: »
    You did not engage him to inspect the works, but yet you expected him to inspect the works???
    So... you got what you asked for, and don't like architectures he didn't come back and supervise the build for free. Bleh. You get what you pay ask for, tbh.

Easy boys! the lady was merely expressing her opinion, times were very different so long ago, where Architects took more than a passing interest in the works they carried out.

I remember on one occasion an Architect called into a business owner in a local town and gave a mouthful to the building owner because the Architect didn't like the colour scheme the building he designed was now painted.

Like it or not times were different back then, people expected and quite often got more for their money then, obviously that wasn't always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I have hired an architect to do 2 different jobs in the last 5 years or so.I will start with job number 2.An extension to an existing house.I asked him for a price to design the extension.1500 euros was the price.He then needed 250 euros more to survey the existing house.Plans were drawn up.Showed them to me.We made a few minor alterations and the plans were to be changed.I called again to see the changes and a set of builders drawings were laid in front of me.I was happy enough with what he had done except the extension was very long.I asked his professional opinion what did he think.After all he is an architect.He reckoned that everything was fine and we should continue with that plan.We then went for planning.To lodge an application with the co.co. he needed another 1000 euros.I nearly dropped on he spot.He broke the cost down and I said work away.I was up the walls with work at the time.While the application was in the council I said I better check out the plans on the ground and see what they appear to look like in real life so I got two 2 by 1s and pegged them in the ground.The extension was massive going way out on the existing lawn.There was one room 33 feet long.
    Contacted the architect again and explained to him what I thought.We need to shorten the extension 3 feet.He wanted another 400 euros to change the plans.We did that and sent new drawings in to the council.The size of the build is 1000 sq. ft..

Am I being robbed.

Blind. Completely.

Thought as much.But what does one do.

Anything to be said for another mass?

But seriously what does one do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

You've paid for the plans up to date. Take your business elsewhere, preferably to someone who has been recommended to you

what he said

• Advertisement

John_Mc wrote: »
    You've paid for the plans up to date. Take your business elsewhere, preferably to someone who has been recommended to you

This is the person who was recommended to me.

Maybe it's you then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

This is the person who was recommended to me.

Well then get another recommendation or do your research and find someone with experience?

Seriously, you either challenge the architect to justify his expenses and/or go elsewhere.

I personally wouldn't keep throwing money at someone if he was carrying on like that. I'm in software engineering which isn't a million miles from what's required to build a house and I need to justify my estimates & costs to my client.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I have hired an architect to do 2 different jobs in the last 5 years or so.I will start with job number 2.An extension to an existing house.I asked him for a price to design the extension.1500 euros was the price.He then needed 250 euros more to survey the existing house.Plans were drawn up.Showed them to me.We made a few minor alterations and the plans were to be changed.I called again to see the changes and a set of builders drawings were laid in front of me.I was happy enough with what he had done except the extension was very long.I asked his professional opinion what did he think.After all he is an architect.He reckoned that everything was fine and we should continue with that plan.We then went for planning.To lodge an application with the co.co. he needed another 1000 euros.I nearly dropped on he spot.He broke the cost down and I said work away.I was up the walls with work at the time.While the application was in the council I said I better check out the plans on the ground and see what they appear to look like in real life so I got two 2 by 1s and pegged them in the ground.The extension was massive going way out on the existing lawn.There was one room 33 feet long.
    Contacted the architect again and explained to him what I thought.We need to shorten the extension 3 feet.He wanted another 400 euros to change the plans.We did that and sent new drawings in to the council.The size of the build is 1000 sq. ft.
    Am I being robbed.

You should have stalled the process prior to planning lodgement, if you didn't like the design

the architect should have made it clear that planning fixes the external footprint if the building

the architect charging to change/deal with council and amend construction drawings for that price seems very reasonable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Maybe it's you then

Let's all be constructive and respectful please. Or if you don't like some posts or posters try to pass over them .thanks

I don't mind paying whatever it costs to draw up the plans and associated fees so long as I am not been ridden.Lets face it I will be living in the house for the rest of my life so having it planned right is a must.But am I really been robbed of my money.

The extension was massive going way out on the existing lawn.There was one room 33 feet long.
    Did you give him any dimensions at all? It sounds like you said you wanted an extension, and he gave you an extension, but you decided you didn't like the size, so changed it a few times. I don't begrudge him from charging repeatedly, as you are getting him to do more work.
    I asked his professional opinion what did he think.After all he is an architect.He reckoned that everything was fine and we should continue with that plan
    You ask someone else for a 2nd opinion, not the guy whose work you are questioning.

Did you know what you wanted going in, or did you just give him a blank canvas?

But am I really been robbed of my money.

No you were not

Did you give him any dimensions at all? It sounds like you said you wanted an extension, and he gave you an extension, but you decided you didn't like the size, so changed it a few times. I don't begrudge him from charging repeatedly, as you are getting him to do more work.

You ask someone else for a 2nd opinion, not the guy whose work you are questioning.

Did you know what you wanted going in, or did you just give him a blank canvas?

I knew what I wanted when I started and told him same but no one is ever going to get it right the first time round.It is when you start seeing it on paper you really get a feel for it as such.I am very happy with the final draft though.You would think architects would allow for this in their pricing.

• Advertisement

You would think architects would allow for this in their pricing.
    The following is not a criticism levelled at you, but as a reason why people charge for each alteration, instead of charging more at the start.

If you're in the business long enough, you'll find out that if you give something to someone for free, it'll be abused. Some people do change their mind constantly, and the best way to counter this is to ensure that you charge them for each alteration. Well, in web design anyway, but I'd say it's the same for architects as well.

Advertisement