Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gta taking over my relationship!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Cormac... wrote: »
    I have a problem!

Your looking at it all wrong, it everyone else with the problem :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

endacl wrote: »
    Pretty representative of the demographic, perhaps? 'Normal' might be stretching it a bit though. In my immediate group of +/- 35yo's, I honestly can't think of a single individual who owns a console, let alone plays it five nights a week.
    You and your pals must be soooooooo boring then

You and your pals do not know what ye are missing.

It's normal bhra.

Just edited my post there!! A LOT!

He admits now that he had a problem and used it as an escape.
    An escape from....................................... you,perhaps?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sell the ps and buy a wii u then yourself and the chisellers could play it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Throw it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

An escape from....................................... you,perhaps?:o

He could have always broke it off.

He was devastated when I ended it so I don't think so. :p

But thanks anyway. Bring me down a notch or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He didn't have time for hobbies.

Joking aside, I would like to point out that what you just said is an oxymoron. Gaming is a hobby.

I think what you meant so say is, "He had no time for the things I wanted him to do..".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

stand naked between him and the tv. If he tells you to move out of the way of the tv, then its time to leave....otherwise problem solved :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Kirby wrote: »
    Joking aside, I would like to point out that what you just said is an oxymoron. Gaming is a hobby.

I think what you meant so say is, "He had no time for the things I wanted him to do..".

Ah, that's not what I meant at all. I meant other hobbies. Gaming is a hobby yes but he was addicted. I have nothing against gaming btw.

Edit: And just to say that he used to be big into running and martial arts and it all fell by the wayside. He's back at the running again and happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

Have you tried writing to Rosanna Davison I hear she gives great advise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

If he's anything like me; He'll bored of GTA V in about two weeks. Not actually that great a game

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Yet another thread which makes me wonder how on earth Boards has any female users left.

folamh wrote: »
    Yet another thread which makes me wonder how on earth Boards has any female users left.

The sex of the poster has nothing to do with it. You are seeing what you want to see in that regard.

Kirby wrote: »
    The sex of the poster has nothing to do with it. You are seeing what you want to see in that regard.

So the beer and sandwich jokes are gender-neutral?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Well the 35 year old gamer thing shouldn't be odd at all, these are people who grew up with gaming that was huge in the early/mid 90's so if they enjoyed gaming then it wouldn't be a surprise that they still do today, especially with the popularity of multiplayer these days.

But hogging the TV from the person you're living with is taking the piss, though.
    It always surprises me when people say that gaming is childish. I used to read a lot as a child and I still do, is that childish? Some people liked to draw when they were children and continue to draw into adulthood, is that childish? People do all kinds of activities in their youth and continue to do the ones they enjoy when they grow up, so why is gaming considered childish when other's aren't?

Incidentally colouring books aimed at adults are some of the best sellers currently on Amazon.

somefeen wrote: »
    If he's anything like me; He'll bored of GTA V in about two weeks. Not actually that great a game

Ya, 1 month and he will be thinking, meh, all that fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Hoop66

somefeen wrote: »

Get out.
    Ya, 1 month and he will be thinking, meh, all that fuse.

And you. Go on.

My problem with it is it's so time consuming. I don't have time to play - home from work, feed kids, appreciate wife, bed.

Oh the humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cormac... wrote: »
    Haha, maybe :pac:

*Breaks down sobbing uncontrollably*

It's all true :(
    I have a problem!

His problem is he dosnt play enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

kylith wrote: »
    It always surprises me when people say that gaming is childish. I used to read a lot as a child and I still do, is that childish? Some people liked to draw when they were children and continue to draw into adulthood, is that childish? People do all kinds of activities in their youth and continue to do the ones they enjoy when they grow up, so why is gaming considered childish when other's aren't?

Incidentally colouring books aimed at adults are some of the best sellers currently on Amazon.

People are generally funny when it comes to gaming and think it's either only children or loners who live with their mothers that play.

My family are odd in that they think the brother is strange for playing games at 36 years old...........despite that in the 90's he was winning loads of gaming competitions so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he would still have a hobby in it.

They find it even odder that I talk to him most nights on Steam when they themselves don't chat to him too regularly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

A gamer uses your tv time where you just veg out and do nothing for hours in front of your tv....how very selfish of him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think the child connotation is simply in the name. "Games" are for children. Personally I don't see gaming as much different to physical sports, only it's mental rather than physical

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think the child connotation is simply in the name. "Games" are for children. Personally I don't see gaming as much different to physical sports, only it's mental rather than physical

I think it's the 'computer' part, after all no one has a problem with an adult playing a game of cards, or a game of chess, or a game of football. The fact that it's on computer means that it's only been around in the last 30 or so years, so it was adopted by children first so it's still seen as something kids do because the majority of adults today wouldn't have grown up with it being something they saw adults do.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

So in 10, 12 years time when I hit my early to mid-thirties I'll be considered odd assuming I still like gaming as a hobby ?

What does that make adults who've enjoyed watching other adults boot leather spheres of wind around a pitch week in, week out in the form of football ? Because judging by nearly all of my mates, my father, uncles etc. their social lives & topics for conversation revolve around talking about it non-stop.

I think the child connotation is simply in the name. "Games" are for children.

Yeah. All those idiots winning gold medals in the Olympic games. What a bunch of children! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

I think it's the 'computer' part, after all no one has a problem with an adult playing a game of cards, or a game of chess, or a game of football. The fact that it's on computer means that it's only been around in the last 30 or so years, so it was adopted by children first so it's still seen as something kids do because the majority of adults today wouldn't have grown up with it being something they saw adults do.

It is absolutely a generational issue. I am in my early thirties so have been around gaming since I was 10. I work with a crowd who are all in their mid forties to late fifties. They have kids, nephews or nieces and can't for the life of themselves understand gaming. They are all of the opinion that the kids are wasting their lives because they spend an hour or so at night on xbox or playstation. One girl in particular is really concerned that her nephew isn't out climbing mountains or going for walks like she did when she was a teen, she's 53 btw. She couldn't understand the social aspect of playing online, would barely concede that he probably has better hand to eye co-ordination than she could dream of, or that if he done a computer science degree at uni that he could walk into a job in his mid-twenties and earn more than she does despite having worked for over 30 years. She looked at me like I had 2 heads when I mentioned that her parents probably couldn't fathom her actions as a teen when comparing their teen years to hers. She had never really thought that her folks had left school and were working by their teen years while she was still enjoying childhood.

I appreciate that not all over forties are gonna feel like this, but I would suspect a lot will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Next time he's playing it, take your top off and jump up and down. If that fails, set fire to the ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

So in 10, 12 years time when I hit my early to mid-thirties I'll be considered odd assuming I still like gaming as a hobby ?

What does that make adults who've enjoyed watching other adults boot leather spheres of wind around a pitch week in, week out in the form of football ? Because judging by nearly all of my mates, my father, uncles etc. their social lives & topics for conversation revolve around talking about it non-stop.

in another few generations, it wont even be a thing, similar to how the attitudes to things like gay marriage or even couples living together has changed over the years.

Advertisement