Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breitling Aerospace Evo

Options
  • 30-03-2015 7:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Long time lurker, first time poster etc!

I've always had a love for a Breitling. Later this year I will have some money coming in and thought I would finally go for it. Having looked at all the options I have narrowed down my choice to the Aerospace Evo.

I have looked at the 1st and 2nd gen Aerospace which are hovering around the 2k mark. I have priced the Evo at €3150 in Dublin. Now like everyone I love a good deal.

Should I buy it when I am abroad? USA later this year.
    Would I get a decent deal in airport duty free?
    What are the pros and cons to buying 2nd hand?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Should I buy it when I am abroad? USA later this year.
    Yes, if you get a good deal. Before you go:
    Know how much it costs in ireland.
    Know how much you can get it for on the grey market.

Decide then if the deal is worth it.
    Would I get a decent deal in airport duty free?
    Ive never found airports to be particularly amazing value. Was in Dublin airport this weekend and hamiltons & logines were not a whole lot cheaper than Dublin prices really. Im pretty sure i could get them cheaper on the grey market, and 100% sure i can get them cheaper second hand.

Again, if the deal looks good, go for it but dont buy it just because the person in the shop says theres 12% off displayed prices(current deal in Dublin Airport), but sneakily have the displayed prices higher than they should be.

What are the pros and cons to buying 2nd hand?
    Pros:
    -Watch should be cheaper.
    -potential to negotiate a better deal.

Cons:
    -You can never be sure of the watches history. Did the owner drop it? is there some hidden damage you cant see but will rear its ugly head later during a service? is it stolen?

- warranty. is it transferrable? a lot of companies wont honor a warranty if you are not the original purchaser/owner.

-no comeback. deal is done, you have handed over your cash and got the watch. you cannot return it in 14 days for a refund. you cannot return it if you find something wrong.

-Deal might not be as good as you think. lets say the street price for the watch is 1000 quid and you found it online for 700. 300 quid saving, YAY! but wait:

- Shipping can be upwards of 50 quid (last watch i bought shipped by fedex was 120 dollars shipping)
    - customs. If irish customs decide to charge you, you are charged on the value of the item + value of shipping. so watch(1000 quid value) + shipping(100 quid value) = 1100. tax on this 231 quid.

Including shipping & tax you now have paid 1031 quid, more than the actual street price for the watch and you probably dont have a warranty or comeback to boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

You make some great points there.

I see in Dundrum for instance the Evo is €3150. I'm sure if I shop around I could get it a little better.

Buying from an AD in the US, I could get it for around €2400, maybe less.

The thoughts of buying 2nd hand are appealing but I kind of had the same questions in my head about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Have you thought about the Breitling Chronomat Evolution 44...
    I have been a long time lover of this watch, but I haven´t had the guts to push the button on it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Second hand can mean from a decent shop too, so not all the caveats above might apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Any interest in an Aerospace Avantage on titanium bracelet with full box and papers? Have seen one well priced at $2200 from a grey dealer I have dealt with. I'll PM you the link or put it up here once you're happy with that?

• Advertisement

Have you thought about the Breitling Chronomat Evolution 44...
    I have been a long time lover of this watch, but I haven´t had the guts to push the button on it....

I have seen prices circa 5k for that.

Homer wrote: »
    Any interest in an Breitling Chronomat Evolution 44 on titanium bracelet with full box and papers? Have seen one well priced at $2200 from a grey dealer I have dealt with. I'll PM you the link or put it up here once you're happy with that?

That would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Homer wrote: »
    Any interest in an Aerospace Avantage on titanium bracelet with full box and papers? Have seen one well priced at $2200 from a grey dealer I have dealt with. I'll PM you the link or put it up here once you're happy with that?
    I'd be interested in a pm too.!
    Bonus time from my company approaches..!

I like the Evo because it's a current model. It's not mad money for a breitling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I'd be interested in a pm too.!
    Bonus time from my company approaches..!

Ditto....PM per chance ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I am still looking into this. Ernest Jones in Dundrum have the Evo at 3150. What are the chances of a discount off that? Is there any dealers that are willing to discount on the new price. Having looked around the new price from country to country varies from €2500-€3150.

Lots of great arguments for buying Irish, from established dealer etc. But we all love a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

I am still looking into this. Ernest Jones in Dundrum have the Evo at 3150. What are the chances of a discount off that? Is there any dealers that are willing to discount on the new price. Having looked around the new price from country to country varies from €2500-€3150.

Lots of great arguments for buying Irish, from established dealer etc. But we all love a good deal.

Are you sure it's Ernest Jones? AFAIK the only authorised Breitling Dealers in Dublin are Weirs and Paul Sheeran.

I bought mine in the States about 9 months ago and got a 10% discount. However, tried 3 other stores, 2 of which were not willing to offer any discount at all, so shop around.

Have you decided which dial colour you want? Some are harder to source than others. I have the Mariner Blue dial and found it more difficult to source than some of the other versions.

Max Q wrote: »
    Are you sure it's Ernest Jones? AFAIK the only authorised Breitling Dealers in Dublin are Weirs and Paul Sheeran.

I bought mine in the States about 9 months ago and got a 10% discount. However, tried 3 other stores, 2 of which were not willing to offer any discount at all, so shop around.

Have you decided which dial colour you want? Some are harder to source than others. I have the Mariner Blue dial and found it more difficult to source than some of the other versions.

I went back to the Ernest Jones website as they have a store in Dundrum, and checked their website. For some reason I thought the price was in euro, but looking again its sterling!!! DAMN!

I think I would want the Black or Grey but at the end of the day it will come down to price and availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

I went back to the Ernest Jones website as they have a store in Dundrum, and checked their website. For some reason I thought the price was in euro, but looking again its sterling!!! DAMN!

I think I would want the Black or Grey but at the end of the day it will come down to price and availability.

I thought €3150 sounded a bit low alright! Swisswatchesdirect.co.uk have it for £2460 which was the lowest price I saw in Irl/UK when I was looking. I haven't used them myself, but they are regarded as very reputable. Personally, I'd prefer to buy in a bricks and mortar store but you can expect to pay a bit more obviously. For info, it retails at around $4400 in the States..

I was in Capel street today. So passed by John Breartons. They had 2 Breitlings, one was a colt for €1850.

Rang Weirs. The evo was €3450
    Rang Sheerins. The evo was €3750

Well for the first time I went to Weir's to try on an aerospace evo and the disappointment!!!! Its very light, that would be the titanium bracelet for a start. The face was smaller and thinner than I thought it would be.

It certainly did not feel like that watch that it should be for the money. Weirs had it at €3800 BUT with the CHR/EUR exchange rate and a general increase of prices if I order now for future delivery it pushes the price up to €4400. The lower price is there for current stock.

So with the obvious look of disappointment in my eyes the Asst Manager showed me some more in the range and specifically the Superocean 44. NOW that felt like a watch and a Breitling. My opinion of what I want to buy may have to change.

Thoughts anyone on the Superocean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sometimes when the wife steps out I close the blinds and look at pictures like this...

Colt 44 superquartz. I couldn't give a fiddlers that it's not an auto. Perfect looking grab and go watch.

F0A9184D7EA04BABB333A3D015E98ABE-0000345144-0003758439-00800L-52260A8E41624182A60FFA53C5B119BA.jpg
    4E42D67843BB4D6D85163A52C084C811-0000345144-0003758440-00634L-E987FE2D02C1434DB66266C36118EFC3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Lad on TZ Selling Breitling Superocean Heritage. Blue dial on mesh for 1950 Sterling

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?330592-Breitling-Superocean-Heritage-Blue-dial-on-mesh-A17320-16-DEALER

also a Breitling Aerospace Repetition Minutes (E65362) for 700 sterling

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?331968-FS-Breitling-Aerospace

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have the Chronograph version of this watch - it's a Superocean Heritage. 46mm though, so larger than the ones you're looking at.

It's for sale at just GBP 1800 - the seller owns a Jeweller by the looks of things, and is guaranteeing it. It looks nearly new to me. If you don't have access to that thread, I can copy&paste all the details and PM it to you.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz59/kevkojak/kevkojak001/DSC07554_zpskn7kzv29.jpg

Edit: missed that this had already been posted...

Anyhow - OP, if you're in Dublin you're welcome to try mine on for size and see if that model would be of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Lad on TZ Selling Breitling Superocean Heritage. Blue dial on mesh for 1950 Sterling

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?330592-Breitling-Superocean-Heritage-Blue-dial-on-mesh-A17320-16-DEALER

He's reduced his price to £1800.

Cheers Eoin, not really my bag. I would prefer to buy something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I certainly approve of your new choice. I have a 42mm SOH on a list of watches I'd like to own at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Check out this UK jeweller having a sale. All watches should be new, and have full warranty. Very good prices, even with the current exchange rate.

http://www.georgebanks.co.uk/category/watches/breitling/id/1535

The one that I am looking at now which is the Superocean 44 is coming in about €2700 which all things considered is not too bad.

I never really said the reason for me wanting the watch. My dad passed away about 6 weeks ago and when everything is sorted out we will get a few quid that was left over. I dont want to stick it in a bank rather have something that would remind me of my dad every day. Then I want to be able to leave something to my kids.

So I am open to other suggestions of watches. After seeing he evo I was bitterly disappointed with it.

Sorry to hear that...

If you like the sportier look and want to buy new, then perhaps a Tudor Black Bay might appeal. It's 41mm, so smaller than you've been looking at, but when I tried one on, I really liked it despite preferring larger watches. The red one has more of a vintage look, while the blue one is a bit more modern IMO. I reckon I'm definitely going to get one.

From what I remember, the red one retails at 2500 on the leather strap, maybe a couple of hundred quid more on the bracelet.

Looks like a lovely watch. The guy in weirs made a lot of sense when I was telling him why I wanted the watch. It may come a time when Breitling say they are unable to service or repair an aerospace because of the digital aspect. Whereas the other watches do one thing, tell the time! Simple and elegant.

The Pelagos might be worth a look too - more modern looking again, but personally I think they're a bit sterile looking. Still very nice watches.

But if you've your heart set on the SuperOcean 44, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Eoin wrote: »
    The Pelagos might be worth a look too - more modern looking again, but personally I think they're a bit sterile looking. Still very nice watches.

But if you've your heart set on the SuperOcean 44, then go for it.

Bit late to this party, but I really like the Pelagos. I went to try on a black bay a couple of weeks ago with a view to a purchase at some point and preferred the Pelagos. The sales guy said they were pretty much 50/50 in terms of sales between the two. The Super Ocean Heritage is another favourite of mine, but someone at work already has one, so I can't consider it!

• Advertisement

Still looking and shopping around. The Evo is off the list.

Superocean 44 is €3860 in Weirs. I was in the U.S. this week and checked price, it worked out at €3850!!!!!! A tenner of a saving.

Now if I knew someone that could claim the tax back, I could take 17.5% off that price. Refunded in 4 weeks.

Advertisement