Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Hotels - The biggest problems

Options
  • 30-03-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Being a frequent traveller both in Ireland and Worldwide I would love to hear peoples opinions of Irish hotels verses Overseas?

We were once world leaders when it came to hospitality and now we perform very poorly.

I think that the biggest problem is staffing and a serious lack of standards when it comes to service in particular.

Is this down to management as at the end of the day as they oversee, train and supervise staffing.

Would love to hear your views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I could write a thesis on Irish hotels, but indeed, they arent perfect and to be honest I dont think most ever were.

Some random comments
    - lack of attention to detail. In Ireland, the hotels can have shabby car parks with weeds all over the place, lights not working, ceiling and wall littered with bluetack and just in general a lax attitude to a simple bit of neat and tidy -ness . But even basics like a telly tuned properly cant be taken for granted. Yes, its a small thing, but if I am paying for a room with my hard earned, and heavily taxed, income then I expect the simple stuff to just work. But in Irish hotels (even now with things improved drasticly) I would still remark on things that I know wouldnt be let happen in Germany.
    - almost complete lack of a full market sector, namely a basic room at a budget price (think Premier Inn, Ibis etc). Everyone wants to be a 4 or 5star, whereas many travellers just want a clean reliable bed for the night at an affordable price.
    - complete mismanagement, or lack of management of any description full stop. During the boom there was developer led hotels which were a shambles service wise to say the least. How the jesus can a room be cleaned and handed to a customer and theres "strange white stain" on the matress over-cover and a nappy in the bin making the room smell of pee. And how can it take 3 visits to reception to get someone to actually deal with it? And how can an overflowing toilet in a funtion room be considered to be solved by putting a wet (with toilet overflow) floor sign (and it in a hotel looking for over €200 for a room for the night of a wedding).
    - many hotels lack (/lacked) an irish touch, which considering that Irelands excuse for charging over the odds was mainly based on the unique welcome and warmth of the people, was sortof contradictory when you don't meet any irish working in the hotel where you stay! A number of times that I came home during the boom there was hotels where you wouldn't have a single irish person working in them at all. And then you go for a meal or drink and again, no banter to be had as all staff were not irish. And in hotels or other service establishments you have difficulty being understood by staff as you have an irish accent (and I refuse to talk like an american or brit just so somoene from East Europe can understand me), or you are looking for something to be fixed like a tap or whatnot and its not in their vocabulary (as maybe they only know tap as faucet or who knows what). Very frustrating.

funnily though, I've had only positive experiences over the past couple of years in Irish hotels across 2 hotels in Cork City, 3 hotels in Dublin city and 2 stays in the same place just outside Athlone. Also attended weddings in 2 places in Cavan and again all quite acceptable.

Hospitality is really hard, but in a sense damn simple.
    If the room is in good nick, the breakfast and food in general half ways edible, and the staff in good form and helpful then really thats all anyone ever asks for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can see part of the reason on the RTE program 'At your service' - there are lots of instances of Irish people with very little or no experience of the hotel sector who get into the business. They think it's not much difference from running a large B&B, then they flounder around, all the while damaging our reputation with foreign visitors with their incompetence.

Of course the sector is notorious for poor pay which doesn't help. It means that potentially talented people steer clear of the business because of the pay and the unsocial hours. This means that most of the people working in hotels who aren't managers or trainee managers have no interest in it as a career, they see it as a job with no prospects so they do the absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

From listening to a similar discussion on the radio a few weeks ago, I would point out what they said, that many of the "front-line" staff at a hotel aren't in it for a career. They're often students or often low-paid immigrants, that wouldn't generally have an interest in the trade beyond getting paid at the end of the week.
    It may not be the case of all hotels, but I have noticed that when it comes to cafe/bar waiting staff at a hotel (their restaurants usually try to employ "career" waiting staff) and room service/cleaning staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I don't think its so bad to be honest.

Comparing an Irish Hotel to a German/Dutch/Belgian hotel of a similar star rating the Irish one would usually be better.

Saying that the lower star rating hotels in Ireland can be absolute shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Gatica wrote: »
    From listening to a similar discussion on the radio a few weeks ago, I would point out what they said, that many of the "front-line" staff at a hotel aren't in it for a career. They're often students or often low-paid immigrants, that wouldn't generally have an interest in the trade beyond getting paid at the end of the week.
    It may not be the case of all hotels, but I have noticed that when it comes to cafe/bar waiting staff at a hotel (their restaurants usually try to employ "career" waiting staff) and room service/cleaning staff.

Its up to management to train them to the level that they require and offer their guests.

At the end of the day staff will only perform to a level that management set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The heat in the rooms/hotel in general has been a problem in any Irish hotel I've stayed in

Also charging €18.95 for a breakfast not included in room rate is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Euro for euro compared to most western European countries I think their quite good. Hotel's I've stayed with in Germany, France and especially Italy have all been poorer. On fact I reckon in many countries a four star hotel will be below the level of the average three star in ireland. Staff too would be friendlier in ireland then most.
    I would agree with the point regarding the lack of proper budget options though.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Euro for euro compared to most western European countries I think their quite good. Hotel's I've stayed with in Germany, France and especially Italy have all been poorer. On fact I reckon in many countries a four star hotel will be below the level of the average three star in ireland. Staff too would be friendlier in ireland then most.
    I would agree with the point regarding the lack of proper budget options though.

Staff in Irish hotels used to be friendly 20yrs ago and then all the good staff disappeared!

Staff in Irish hotels used to be friendly 20yrs ago and then all the good staff disappeared!

I wouldn't say that at all, most places are very accommodating.

Langtons in Kilkenny, the Night Porter went and cooked us a fry up at 6am because he didn't want to see us travelling without eating anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Thats also when the celtic tiger arrived and most moved off to better jobs.

Someone mentioned the Ibis before I stayed at the only Irish one twice out near the red cow. First stay was fine and a good price. The second we we were given a key and the bed was still in the state the last occupant left it in and there was towels were left all over the ground and rubbish in the bin. We had to go back down to reception and get a new room.

Travel lodge out at castleknock this one really takes the cake heres my tripadvisor review on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most Irish hotels arent chains, so there isnt consistent standards in most hotels. Where as most American hotels are chains. The staff are trained to follow guidelines like how to greet customers, how a room is to be cleaned, breakfast served in this way etc. Where as every Irish hotel is different.

hfallada wrote: »
    ....most American hotels are chains

Which is not the same as saying that most US hotels are operated by chains where you could expect a uniform level of customer service because they are not. For example, every Best Western hotel is independently owned and operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Great idea for a thread. I'll be watching this with interest as a hotel manager.

I can't really argue with most of the points made above but of course are all subjective.

The point about many employees not being in the industry for the long haul is bang on. It's a constant struggle to find staff that consider hospitality their career path although it has improved over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

As someone who works in hotels, I find the biggest problem especially in the smaller hotels is the owner.
    I've been in hotels that have had outstanding management teams but then the owner decides to micro manage everything and not very well at that.
    As for the staff well the place i'm in now, I was surprised when i started at how good the staff were.
    But then if you ask for more than minimum wage its "go somewhere that will pay you that". This again would usually come from the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Irish hotels are generally really good with a few stinkers in the mix!

I wouldn't want a set standard as i feel we end up with soulless pristine buildings , weekend travellers want character , business like to know exactly what to expect.
    I think Ireland has a good mix up of that and a range of prices to suit.

The game changer is social media , the hotels not up to scratch just wont get away with it anymore and will suffer , the good hotels listen to the feedback and adjust to suit the trends and the top drawer Irish hotels monitor and review.

Few personal gripes is the booking systems , just because a traveller has access to booking systems doesnt mean you can fleece them for breakfast! The room was cheap because the hotel was underbooked or the rooms sold in advance , take the few quid from the bar/restaurant and offer a reasonably priced breakfast or stick a continental option on.
    Not hospitable to be charged €15 for a breakfast , most head to local cafe or the spar when that happens.

Again on booking systems , it doesnt make the client any different due to what he/she paid.
    I find a couple who book the cheap night away spend in the restaurant and bar , everyone is happy.

I think the good Irish hotelier deserves recognition for what they have had to put up with from the Govt esp in the developer days , a quick glance at the outer ring "malls" ruining the very thing that brought tourists in the first place and you can see the farce that was the development hotel.
    Most shut down and boarded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My bug bear is ICE.

Most hotels I go to in the USA (even cheap chains like Motel 6) all have readily accessible ice machines on all floors for guests.

In Ireland, it is a serious chore to get ice. The ice machines are hidden away in distant parts of the hotel or even worse the bar sends it up to you whereby you have to wait for for 30 mins or more for it to arrive.

The first question I ask when I check in is "How do I get ice?" If they say the bar will bring it to you I make them call the bar for me straight away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

My bug bear is ICE.

Most hotels I go to in the USA (even cheap chains like Motel 6) all have readily accessible ice machines on all floors for guests.

In Ireland, it is a serious chore to get ice. The ice machines are hidden away in distant parts of the hotel or even worse the bar sends it up to you whereby you have to wait for for 30 mins or more for it to arrive.

The first question I ask when I check in is "How do I get ice?" If they say the bar will bring it to you I make them call the bar for me straight away.

I'd assume part of that is to discourage people drinking in their rooms. I know if I see an ice machine in the lobby I'd be more inclined to buy a few beers and stick them in the bathroom sink rather than go to the hotel bar.

On the subject, hotel bars are nearly always terrible in Ireland and very rarely stock any Irish beer. Then when you ask at the bar you're told "there's no demand for that", as if tourists are landing in Ireland and looking for pints of Heino or Miller.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'd assume part of that is to discourage people drinking in their rooms. I know if I see an ice machine in the lobby I'd be more inclined to buy a few beers and stick them in the bathroom sink rather than go to the hotel bar.

I felt a but cheeky last time asking for a bucket of ice, two wine glasses and bottle opener :pac:

Barman was grand though, all he cared about was getting his bottle opener back as their like gold dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    <snip>

Again on booking systems , it doesnt make the client any different due to what he/she paid.
    I find a couple who book the cheap night away spend in the restaurant and bar , everyone is happy.
    <snip>
    +1

An empty hotel has no potential to make money whereas a hotel with patrons, even if they arent really profitable for the room alone, will at least have a fighting chance to then make the money elsewhere.

I have made a good number of completely discressionary trips to Dublin/ Belfast/ Cork city (despite the mrs living only 15km out the road from Cork) purely down to taking advantage of deals offered.
    Incidentally only ever from chains like Maldron, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Ibis (Belfast) and Jurys Inns.
    And almost always we ended up eating and drinking in the hotel for handiness sakes before heading out, thus more than compensating for any discount that a hotelier was giving us on the accomodation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Osborne wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread. I'll be watching this with interest as a hotel manager.

I can't really argue with most of the points made above but of course are all subjective.

The point about many employees not being in the industry for the long haul is bang on. It's a constant struggle to find staff that consider hospitality their career path although it has improved over the last couple of years.

The hotels industry has created that problem for it's self by insisting on lowest pay rates possible. And constantly lobbying government to allow even lower pay rates for their particular sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

Many Irish Hotels are built around the drinking culture, even the so called family hotels.
    We stayed in a "family hotel" in Carlow with small children recently. The music from the bar could be heard two stories above and kept everyone awake. This continued until 1.30 AM.
    When I went to the bar after midnight, the manager asked me to talk outside in reception as he could not hear me with the music in the bar.
    Essentially, I was told it was a hotel and this is what happens. I could bring my kids to the mezinine area, they are not allowed in the bar, and he would drop up a drink until the music stopped.Very appropriate for a one and four year old!
    I find this attitude of putting the drinking activities of the guests as the main priority for the hotel very common in Irish hotels and why as family we try to stay in self catering rather than hotels in Ireland.
    We have not had such problems in England or Europe.

We stayed in a "family hotel" in Carlow with small children recently. The music from the bar could be heard two stories above and kept everyone awake. This continued until 1.30 AM.

That's precisely why you should research the place in Tripadvisor before you travel but TBH that's what you can expect in most hotels below 5* in towns around Ireland at weekends. If it's not a wedding it will be the rugby club annual dinner dance. As has already been pointed out, they can let the rooms go at bargain rates but they need the bar and restaurant to make a profit.

irish_goat wrote: »

On the subject, hotel bars are nearly always terrible in Ireland and very rarely stock any Irish beer. Then when you ask at the bar you're told "there's no demand for that", as if tourists are landing in Ireland and looking for pints of Heino or Miller.

i enjoy a drink in my room when getting ready for dinner. i wouldn't be bothered to ring down to the bar for it and have to wait for it to be delivered.

I treat a hotel room like my house - I don't see the issue with expecting ice to be available to have room drinks that I pour myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i enjoy a drink in my room when getting ready for dinner. i wouldn't be bothered to ring down to the bar for it and have to wait for it to be delivered.

I treat a hotel room like my house - I don't see the issue with expecting ice to be available to have room drinks that I pour myself.

Problem is people coming in with the slabs from tesco and 12 bottles of wine.
    Use the glasses and ice etc and dont spend a penny in the hotel.

I also enjoy a drink in the room but as soon as the partner starts getting ready im down to the lobby bar like a shot :)
    She will meet me and we will have another drink and decide on the evening.

I guess the problem lies with both clients and hoteliers that take the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think cleanliness is the biggest thing. For me anyway.

I know other reasons depend on your budget/expectations/reasons etc.

Some expect 5 star when paying for the price of a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Is the problem with Irish hotels not that we have too many? as a result we have hotels that aren't sustainable and standards drop due to this.

Also NAMA hotels undercut other viable hotels as they are being run without the debt they were built with and take the customers from those hotels causing standards to slip further?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've started seeing better standards in hotels in Ireland in the last 2-3 years than I had in a very long time. Two that stand out for me in a good way are The Old Imperial in Youghal and The George Boutique in Limerick. The things that make both these good:

Friendly, accommodating front desk staff. Arrived a bit early for my room in Limerick, and without being asked, the front desk offered to store my suitcase until my room was ready.

Properly clean rooms. Mirrors and taps gleaming, the corners of the bathroom dust free, no sticky ring marks on tables. You'd think that would be standard for any hotel, but apparently not.

Clean, crisp bedding. Have a runner, or a bedspread or a colourful cushion if you must, but make the sheets and duvet cover be a clean, crisp white. Not off yellow, not with the remnants of some weird stain, and certainly not crazy patterened like something bought out of Dunne's in the 80s.

Decent food options of some kind. People can get delayed/held up (particularly foreign tourists who may be coming off a late flight). Make it possible for them to get something to eat without having to start traipsing the streets at all hours. It doesn't have to be cooked food. Keep it something simple that any night staff can prepare if needed - cheese plates, a simple salad that fresh bread can be added to at the last minute, a nice homemade soup that can be microwaved.

Breakfast. Decent breakfast either included or at a reasonable price. Good quality meat, fresh tea/coffee and plenty of it. Warm toast.

Local information. Have a well thought out folder of local information in each room (not just a bunch of flyers for any old crap). Front desk staff should be familiar with things like public transport, parking, shopping.

I also wish Irish hotels were dog friendly. I find it so difficult to find places that will take him. For info. most Hiltons take dogs.

• Advertisement

I also wish Irish hotels were dog friendly. I find it so difficult to find places that will take him. For info. most Hiltons take dogs.

Definitely, in NL you can bring your dog almost everywhere... VERY few hotels in Ireland are dog friendly.

Sneem hotel in Kerry was very good though and lovely for the dog ;)

Advertisement