Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Athletes"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭COH

I was at a seminar series last year with a former crossfit games winner in Sweden. One of the attendees, a box owner, made raised his hand and asked a question regarding his 'athletes' programming.

The reply was roughly as follows:
    Speaker: Are you talking about your members or are you referring to actual athletes?
    Attendee: We call all our members athletes.
    Speaker: So, they aren't athletes. I'm an athlete, I do this sh*t 24/7 and I will f*cking murder you to win.

That back and forth pretty much sums up for me what an athlete is. But that's my personal definition and it really doesnt bother me too much who calls themselves what these days. Its pretty apparent when push comes to shove who walks the walk and who's an insecure dickhead crying out for attention on instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In fairness, lots of the current sports were not sports, and then one day someone decided they were. Boxing was just fighting, running was just running, cycling was just cycling. Who are you to say crossfit isn't a sport with athletes who take part?

Crossfit is a reflection of the rise of gym culture in the last couple of decades. If you look around a gym you can see teenagers and grannies. It's enviable that there would be a sport to which people who go to the gym can relate.

I don't understand the resentment of crossfit. Oh wait, it's new. Now I understand.

In fairness, lots of the current sports were not sports, and then one day someone decided they were. Boxing was just fighting, running was just running, cycling was just cycling. Who are you to say crossfit isn't a sport with athletes who take part?

Crossfit is a reflection of the rise of gym culture in the last couple of decades. If you look around a gym you can see teenagers and grannies. It's enviable that there would be a sport to which people who go to the gym can relate.

I don't understand the resentment of crossfit. Oh wait, it's new. Now I understand.

I don't think you understood my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

COH wrote: »
    big time - lets just say something thats not relevant at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Sundy wrote: »
    I agree with this so much. The crossfit I go to sells t-shirts with athlete written down the back. I actually think some of the people that buy them believe they are athletes but then don't show up on the days its a running workout.

In my mind competing in events is what differentiates between being an athlete and not being one.
    no competing in top events do - attending and possibly winning a local crossfit competition doesnt mean anything other than to the people running the event trying to hype it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

COH wrote: »

I wasn't referring to your post. It was about meaning behind the OP. It's not all about you, COH.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Haha exactly.
    He's a good poster though. It's the blind followers who even jump in for him when he's not in an argument that crack me up.

Anyway, while athletes in crossfit is being discussed. How many Irish crossfitters would the good people of boards consider actual athletes. Top 10? Top 50? Top 100?
    I would say the top 50 can do some incredible things that recognised athletes could never dream of, except of course play an actual sport. I'd still consider them athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What I find amazing about crossfit in the US is the number of guys who played Varsity football in high school and college, didn't make the NFL but would still be absolutely phenomenal D1 footballers, and now they're going into Crossfit and kicking ass and competing at a seriously high level.

For me, an athlete is someone who can display a very high level of athleticism.
    That's my own personal definition but I think it fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

shutup wrote: »
    Anyway, while athletes in crossfit is being discussed. How many Irish crossfitters would the good people of boards consider actual athletes. Top 10? Top 50? Top 100?
    I would say the top 50 can do some incredible things that recognised athletes could never dream ofdon't need to do, except of course play an actual sport. I'd still consider them athletes.

FYP

• Advertisement

I wasn't referring to your post. It was about meaning behind the OP. It's not all about you, COH.

Well then I retract my statement but agree to disagree about it not being all about me? Of course its all about me...

I'M AN ATHLETE

cc87 wrote: »
    FYP

Agreed. And I'm not saying the crossfitters are better because they can do whacky stuff the footballers, rugby players etc don't need to do.

But, it's still really impressive and now that gym work as a sport/past time is so popular they are standing out from a massive amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

What I find amazing about crossfit in the US is the number of guys who played Varsity football in high school and college, didn't make the NFL but would still be absolutely phenomenal D1 footballers, and now they're going into Crossfit and kicking ass and competing at a seriously high level.

For me, an athlete is someone who can display a very high level of athleticism.
    That's my own personal definition but I think it fits.

A lot of the top quality crossfitters I have encountered here have a played some sort of sport to a high level. Australian & state reps in things like rugby, swimming, AFL.
    I reckon a lot of top athletes could also excel in other sports.
    no competing in top events do - attending and possibly winning a local crossfit competition doesnt mean anything other than to the people running the event trying to hype it up

While I agree it depends on the competition anyone one winning any of the crossfit events here in WA (the RX level) would need to be a serious athlete. But as I mentioned above quite a few of them might have already excelled at other sports.

Its hard to define but we all can recognise the athletes and the bluffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It's all semantics when it comes down to it. My personal opinion is people who are fitness athletes are doing things that olympic athletes do to prepare themselves for their events divers lift and do gymnastics, heptathletes lift, sprint do body weight training, but these are all things that support their overall goal of competing in their event. I have more respect for Olympic athletes and iron man triathletes because their events involve endurance and prolonged mental toughness and the exercises that other fitness athletes would do are purely preparatory for an Olympian. That's my take.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I never regarded bodybuilding as a sport, mainly as those competing are not judged on particulate skills or abilities, but aesthetics.

I am in no way saying it is somehow degraded by me saying that. Its more akin to a lifestyle to me, the work is done in the gym or the kitchen, but they aren't judged there on ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think there is definitely a skill involved in getting out onto the stage and posing in such a way that does justice to your prep work.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think there is definitely a skill involved in getting out onto the stage and posing in such a way that does justice to your prep work.

I agree 100% but still not sure I'd call it a sport. There are no parameters defining any sort of measurable athleticism.

Advertisement