Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resting while swimming in a event?

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    ....unless, of course you mean, swimming the distance in the pool?
    I meant the distance in the pool. For a newbie doing a pool swim, grand, you're testing your boundaries in a safe space and that's fine. Once you know not to impede a faster swimmer, theres no issue. But once you are venturing out into ow, you have no business being there, wetsuit or not, if you aren't confident that the distance itself is well within your ability. You should not be relying on rest buoys, the floatation from your suit or any other crutches. And you should have practised plenty of ow swims prior to any race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Ignoring the swimming part, the attitude in bold is absolutely disgusting. Focusing on yourself is, by definition, selfish and despicable. It is a race with lots of people in it, lots of people for who its important too. Thinking of races as YOUR race results in horrible behaviour which is then justified because "its MY race". Think of others not just yourself.

is it really that hard to distinguish between a race for beginners and a race for the national champs .
    All the beginners will be happy if there is somebody slower than themselves non of the people in his lane will worry most of them will feel better about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Oryx wrote: »
    I meant the distance in the pool. For a newbie doing a pool swim, grand, you're testing your boundaries in a safe space and that's fine. Once you know not to impede a faster swimmer, theres no issue. But once you are venturing out into ow, you have no business being there, wetsuit or not, if you aren't confident that the distance itself is well within your ability. You should not be relying on rest buoys, the floatation from your suit or any other crutches. And you should have practised plenty of ow swims prior to any race.

Agree with that. I wouldn't have attempt any of the swims I have done without being able to do the distance first in the pool!! Now I am confident I would be able to do longer swims, giving that I have built a bit of endurance, and that the swim coach have given me her blessing. Planning on a lake 8km this summer. Jury is still out about wetsuit or not, will depend on the temps on the day!
    I hate being in the pool, as slow as I am, thinking I am slowing some of the fastest guys/ gals...so I always make sure I stay out of their way...yesterday for example there was a shark teenager, she holds some of the records on her age group, and even my shark husband was having trouble keeping at her pace!!! nevertheless, we got out of her way immediately.

Again, irrelevant to the OP as it seems the event they entered was deemed for beginners. Maybe he could come back and let us know how he gets on as i think it's next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jmaralv

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    Again, irrelevant to the OP as it seems the event they entered was deemed for beginners. Maybe he could come back and let us know how he gets on as i think it's next weekend?

Not irrelevant at all, I'm liking this post very much. Even though those little discrepancies...

To be honest when I first registered for the event I thought 350m wouldn't be that much, then I started my training and you know what? 350m seemed long enough. I even considered quite a few times not showing up as I mentioned before. However given the newbie-friendly nature of the event and the fact that it's in a pool I decided to go for it (and opened this post), first because I made a commitment and second because I think it's going to be a good experience (first time in such kind of race).

This guys have other 2 events planned later on the year (June 6th and July 25th), both OW, also newbie friendly with a 350m swim. I can't make it for the one in June but I may join July's one as it seems to be another good opportunity to test myself on the way of the 600m for the DCT Sprint and by then I should have improved. I'll wait to the last minute though, to be sure I can easily make it.

And yes, the event is this Saturday, April 4th. I'll come back and post how it goes :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with it! No matter what, you'll learn a lot from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the organicer has confirmed that there will be an rest island ( like in northern american ironman races) for the slow lanes at the 25 m mark .
    happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    the organicer has confirmed that there will be an rest island ( like in northern american ironman races) for the slow lanes at the 25 m mark .
    happy days

After noon, joke is on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Even if the OP does DNF (Did Not Finish, for the newbies) it will give him him the kick in the arse to sort his swimming.

Should we take a poll if he'll DNF, based on his non swimming approach to swimming?

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Even if the OP does DNF (Did Not Finish, for the newbies) it will give him him the kick in the arse to sort his swimming.

Should we take a poll if he'll DNF, based on his non swimming approach to swimming?

No. I don't get a kick out of being deliberately mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    No. I don't get a kick out of being deliberately mean.

The organiser of my first triathlon made me come up in front everyone at the race briefing and pointed out that I could barely swim and took bets on whether I'd finish the swim, give up or get pulled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

The organiser of my first triathlon made me come up in front everyone at the race briefing and pointed out that I could barely swim and took bets on whether I'd finish the swim, give up or get pulled out.

What? I can't believe there was a time where you didn't know how to swim!!!
    :P

Everyone has to start at some point. I can swim, but I can't swim fast..hence I try to stay out of the way of the faster people that might be racing...I am more about finishing the events, but understand it's different for other people, and respect it!!

I can see that was character forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jmaralv

Hi guys

Well so the event took place today, not many people. After registering a talked to the organization and they told me we were 15 guys for the beginners and about 20 for tha regular event.

I did not finish... last.

I have to admit that my swimming sucks, so much, so I'm going to focus on that if I plan to go for the DCT Spring. Swimming in the 50m pool hasn't been that bad, but my technique is poor and it took me about 15 minutes to complete the 350m. I only stopped to gain some breath 2 times but I'm extremely sloooooooow. Luckily there weren't many people as I said and I haven't been in the way of anybody. I got out of the pool exhausted and the transition to the run took me too long, I needed to catch my breath... However I could keep a decent pace on the run and I've finished 2nd within the begginers group (I'm as surprised as you guys), not big deal even more taking into account that evetually only 5 begginers showed up, and only 4 were able to finish.

It's been quite a experience and now I know a bit more what to expect.

Many thanks to all the people that commented on the thread, I whish you would've created that poll ;).

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Well done. Onwards and upwards as they say - everyone had to start somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Good man, great to hear you had a positive experience. Every race you'll do you'll learn something new and keep improving. I suggested the poll and it sound like you would have taken it in the spirit i intended (as motivation), although it seems you didnt need it. Roll on DCT.

Advertisement