Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resting while swimming in a event?

Options
  • 27-03-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys!

I'm aiming for a sprint triathlon this summer (I'd like to do the Dublin City Triathlon on August). I'm not worried about the run or the bike, however the swim... I'm a poor swimmer, technique? what's that?... I can now swim 750m in about 30 min or less but this is 1) in a 25m indoor pool and 2) resting in between.

As "test" I'm going to do Aplauda Aquathlon in WW Clontarf next weekend (April 4th), newbie distance is 350m swim + 5k run (regular one is 1k sw + 5k run). When I joined it seemed to be faaaaar away and 350m didn't seem that long, what I'm not sure enough is if I'm going to be able to swim for 350m (in a 50m pool) in a row. I tried yesterday, I did 100m... :S

Have any of you been in any indoor event? Is there a problem if I rest for a while in between?

I would like to get a horrible experience in my first event :(

Thanks!
    Jose

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its usually not a problem to rest in a pool as long as youre not in the way. Place yourself so you dont impede other swimmers, let them swim through at the lane end. But the organiser may have a cutoff for the swim, best check that.

If you feel you need to rest, quite often thats a matter of slowing down, relaxing, and just keeping going. There is no reason why you shouldnt be able to do the swim properly by august, thats a lot of time to train. And youll be in a wetsuit. Make sure you get lots of open water experience before the event. Its a shock to the system otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

jmaralv wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I'm aiming for a sprint triathlon this summer (I'd like to do the Dublin City Triathlon on August). I'm not worried about the run or the bike, however the swim... I'm a poor swimmer, technique? what's that?... I can now swim 750m in about 30 min or less but this is 1) in a 25m indoor pool and 2) resting in between.

As "test" I'm going to do Aplauda Aquathlon in WW Clontarf next weekend (April 4th), newbie distance is 350m swim + 5k run (regular one is 1k sw + 5k run). When I joined it seemed to be faaaaar away and 350m didn't seem that long, what I'm not sure enough is if I'm going to be able to swim for 350m (in a 50m pool) in a row. I tried yesterday, I did 100m... :S

Have any of you been in any indoor event? Is there a problem if I rest for a while in between?

I would like to get a horrible experience in my first event :(

Thanks!
    Jose

You should ask the organisers of the Aplauda aquathlon what their policy is on resting (since its an event for newbies), but in general, people don't rest in swimming races. Stopping at the walls for a rest hinders those who have entered to race, and have learned to swim before their race.

If you are going to learn to swim before entering the DCT SuperSprint, you'll find out what its like to be hindered by those in earlier Oly waves, who signed up and didn't learn to swim. Pretty frustrating. People who can't swim shouldn't be entering swim races, period.

Use the time to improve before August, but if you can't swim 100m without resting at the moment, you'll get the experience you deserve at this weekends 350m swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

This might sound crazy but I'd hold off on entering a race which includes a swim until I could swim. Maybe see how you are in a few months and enter something else. I just can't see how racing next week could be a good idea.

Basster wrote: »
    This might sound crazy but I'd hold off on entering a race which includes a swim until I could swim.

Somehow we've reached the stage on this forum where people hesitate to broach this obvious and fundamental point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Resting in a pool swim is fairly common in the 'slow' waves of shorter tri's. Because of this most of these races have cut off times. A 30 min 750m will put you outside of any cutoff time. For your aquathon you are moving from a 25m pool to a 50m pool, for someone who struggles to swim 100m without a break that's a big ask. One 50m length is much harder than 25m x 2 lengths. You will struggle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 jmaralv

First, thank you all for taking time to answer.
    This might sound crazy but I'd hold off on entering a race which includes a swim until I could swim.
    It doesn't sound crazy at all, just wanted to set a date for a "real" test and it happens to be next week. I'll try to do my best but not showing up is my 2nd option, of course.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Resting in a pool swim is fairly common in the 'slow' waves of shorter tri's. Because of this most of these races have cut off times. A 30 min 750m will put you outside of any cutoff time. For your aquathon you are moving from a 25m pool to a 50m pool, for someone who struggles to swim 100m without a break that's a big ask. One 50m length is much harder than 25m x 2 lengths. You will struggle
    There's a time cap on the 1k of 45 min, for met that looks like fair enough for an average person (please, correct me if wrong). I've asked them about time cap for the 350m, so let's see. That 50m is harder than 2 X 25m though, I somehow thought on that...

I still have room for a few training sessions before the "race" (my only aim is to finish) and hopefully they'll come back to me about that time cap, then I'll decide...

First, thank you all for taking time to answer.
    It doesn't sound crazy at all, just wanted to set a date for a "real" test and it happens to be next week. I'll try to do my best but not showing up is my 2nd option, of course.
    There's a time cap on the 1k of 45 min, for me that looks like fair enough for an average person (please, correct me if wrong). I've asked them about time cap for the 350m, so let's see. That 50m is harder than 2 X 25m though, I somehow thought on that...

I still have room for a few training sessions before the "race" (my only aim is to finish) and hopefully they'll come back to me about that time cap, then I'll decide...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

i think you should try it, the WW pool if not deep and if you are in trouble unless you are under 5 foot you should be able to stand up anywhere in the pool. its a beginners event and you could ask the organiser if you can rest at the ends of the pool. get stuck into it and if you cant finish it then its no big deal

you do need to put in some work though for non-pool swimming and should be a confident swimmer before trying DCT, get lessons, join a tri club.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Somehow we've reached the stage on this forum where people hesitate to broach this obvious and fundamental point.
    I think it needs to be put in a certain way though. Too harsh and people stop listening, and just think youre an ahole. Im not talking about nannying, (and trust me, I object to undertrained swimmers just as much as you do) but newbies need to have the rules and expectations explained, just like you did, just like I did. Get it right and you never know, a few of them might stay in the sport after ticking the inital box. Get it wrong, and they will write us off as an elitist clique.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I can see both sides here but when I see its a 350m novice pool event and not the Dublin "Ironman" he has entered you can't come down too hard on him. I would think there will be many more like him at that race. I would expect if he can stay tight to one side of the lane, hold the wall take a rest and go again when he has a gap he should be fine.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    newbies need to have the rules and expectations explained, just like you did, just like I did.

I learned to swim before entering any swimming races (ditto learned to clip in etc before entering bike races). Entering swim races before you can swim is far more likely to lead to disappointment and frustration than someone pointing out the correct flowchart, IMO. No idea about this beginner aquathlon; maybe they encourage people to just have a go.

Personally I don't like non-swimmers entering swim races because it leads to swim cancellations/curtailments. Its irrelevant to me if people think I'm an assh)le for espousing that. I always encourage beginners to do something proactive (get a coach or join lessons or follow an internet plan) so they can enjoy their swimming and progress from there. Thats more useful in the long run. The more people who can actually swim and enjoy their swimming the better.

The OP can decide what advice/opinions are most useful to him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My tongue hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    My tongue hurts.

I'd say there's blood flowing at this stage :D

Personally I don't like non-swimmers entering swim races because it leads to swim cancellations/curtailments.

What's your definition of swimmer?

What's your definition of swimmer?

Someone who can complete the distance without relying on the wall/wetsuit/bouyancy aid.

Someone who can complete the distance without relying on the wall/wetsuit/bouyancy aid.

Elitist pr1ck

Guys, please, be good with each other :)... I opened the thread from my absolute ignorance, didn't want to start a war.

According with Kurt Godel's definition I may not be a swimmer, that's ok. It's also ok if I want to try and do my best, who knows, maybe I'm able to complete the swim with no problems.

I've got a reply back from the organization, just FYI:
    There will be a cut off time of 45 minutes on all distances, but I have full faith that you will not need that much time!!
    Yes you can stop and rest if needed, we will have marshals at either end of the pool so they will hold you back to let others pass or direct other swimmers around you.

I believe they're more than expecting people stopping and resting, so I'm pretty sure I'll go there. They'd also separate beginners from the ones "racing" so I don't believe we're going to bother anyone.

Also, I'm aware of my level of swimming skills, so, it takes much more than finishing last or even not being able to finish to disappoint me but I really appreciate your concerns.

Best!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

In our summer swim league back home, there are weekly "B" meets for the kids who don't qualify for the weekend "A" meets. These meets are designed to give each child, no matter their ability (and some were painful to watch), a chance to "race" and be rewarded for their training effort and desire. Every single child on our swim team then could be involved in a competitive event with starting blocks and timers and an official starter cooly saying "swimmers, take your mark." There is so much good in this - for what it rewards and what it can inspire. It's easy when you are good at something, but when you are still learning and still struggling yet willing to put yourself out there and try, then I can't discourage that if done under proper conditions.

On the event's website, this particular distance is clearly designated for "Newbies"....it is clearly offered for those who are still learning, those similar to yourself perhaps. I say go for it - everyone has to start somewhere. Enjoy the race atmosphere and see how far you can push yourself. It will be great experience for you, and it may not only inspire you, but it may also give you some hard clarity about what it will take to get you to your race in August......like one-on-one swimming lessons. ;) Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

(you posted organizer response before I saw it....still, go for it, and have fun!!!)

Oh, and hat's off to the organizers for providing such an awesome opportunity to those at the newbie level!!! :)

I'd hazard a guess that most triathletes couldn't swim the longer distance races sans wetsuit, but we're talking about tri here and not real swimming so dependence on a wetsuit as a crutch is a given for most triathletes.

Swimming 750m is not that difficult, I went from the op's standard to this distance in 12 weeks. Was I fast? No, could I finish, yes. Just look at the progression in the sessions on your beginner swimmer thread where newbies were hitting sessions of 2km plus within a few weeks.

• Advertisement

I'd hazard a guess that most triathletes couldn't swim the longer distance races sans wetsuit, but we're talking about tri here and not real swimming so dependence on a wetsuit as a crutch is a given for most triathletes.

Swimming 750m is not that difficult, I went from the op's standard to this distance in 12 weeks. Was I fast? No, could I finish, yes. Just look at the progression in the sessions on your beginner swimmer thread where newbies were hitting sessions of 2km plus within a few weeks.

Most triathletes could.
    Most people to do triathlons couldn't.

If you couldn't swim the distance without a wetsuit, you really shouldn't be swimming it at all.

Absolutely, and it is a pleasure to be associated with a thread where people are getting results from the work they put in. Long may that continue. These are all swimmers who are increasing their swim abilities through their own hard work and training.

12 weeks training, to 750m racing, is very doable for those that are determined. However, this forum is going to be plagued over the next few months by people who signed up for the Dublin HIM months ago, but haven't done any swim training since. The sort that will rely on a wetsuit and a prayer to get them around. The sort who will also enter other Tri races for the experience. The sort who let out a cheer when a safety officer cancels the swim when he sees unprepared swimmers in brand new wetsuits. The "can I still do it on zero training?" crowd. Far easier to say yes you can go for it dude, rather than suggesting that now (or several months ago) was the time to begin their training.

Not a lot I can do about that, except encourage unprepared swimmers to get prepared and race ready, every way I can (such as the beginner thread). For selfish reasons; I'm fed up of travelling the length of the country and having Tri swims cancelled because organisers are concerned of the lack of swim ability of back packers. For non-selfish reason; nothing beats the feeling of swimming through open water with confidence, and everyone can experience that.

(Apologies OP, you've clarified that your event encourages rests etc., so the topic has somewhat moved on from your specific event. Best of luck with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Absolutely it's a shallow pool and a beginner race for the life of it I can't see what people have a problem with that it says beginners so let beginners enjoy themselves . And yes Kurt if the entered an advanced race I agree with you but n this case you are way off the mark to be honest . And let's face it there is no swimmer on boards apart from tango when he swims 6 times a week "catweazle;94854587"]I can see both sides here but when I see its a 350m novice pool event and not the Dublin "Ironman" he has entered you can't come down too hard on him. I would think there will be many more like him at that race. I would expect if he can stay tight to one side of the lane, hold the wall take a rest and go again when he has a gap he should be fine.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

One thing I think the OP should remember also, is the goal: is it to have completed a triathlon or is it the entry into a new sport.

For me, like many people swimming was my weak spot. Although my first triathlon was an indoor swim in the 50m pool, I still put a lot of focus on training for it. It sounds like I was like the OP, I started with 25m being my initial swim distance. I spend 9 months, with coaching every few weeks to build up.

Even now with 4 open water swims under my belt, being out in the middle of a lake, or in the sea, with waves and people kicking you in the head, it is an intimidating event. Jumping into an open water swim, with barely the mental or physical ability to finish the swim, and it may actually put the OP off returning for a second try (excuse the pun). Myself, I am glad that I waited until I was certain I could comfortably complete an open water swim before I dived in.

Now I am aiming for 15min for my swim time!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

People advising him not do it.............Why?, because he might be slightly in the way at side of a lane for a brief moment to gather breath in a 350 swim designed to encourage newbies?
    Is he going to be in Alistair Brownlee's fooking way is he?
    Good on ya for going for it OP, swim slowly, very slowly and you'll coast it and enjoy YOUR race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My take is to train for distance, then for speed. Do the 750m (or slightly more, say 850m) non stop at whatever slow pace it takes. Just go ridiculously easy for the 1st few lengths and you should naturally ramp up to a comfortable cruising speed eventually. Keep this up each swim session and speed will then come. I did this for my 1st tri and it worked out well. Its good training for learning how to help pace correctly.

doozer16 wrote: »
    People advising him not do it.............Why?, because he might be slightly in the way at side of a lane for a brief moment to gather breath in a 350 swim designed to encourage newbies?
    Is he going to be in Alistair Brownlee's fooking way is he?
    Good on ya for going for it OP, swim slowly, very slowly and you'll coast it and enjoy YOUR race.

Ignoring the swimming part, the attitude in bold is absolutely disgusting. Focusing on yourself is, by definition, selfish and despicable. It is a race with lots of people in it, lots of people for who its important too. Thinking of races as YOUR race results in horrible behaviour which is then justified because "its MY race". Think of others not just yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

tunney wrote: »
    Ignoring the swimming part, the attitude in bold is absolutely disgusting. Focusing on yourself is, by definition, selfish and despicable. It is a race with lots of people in it, lots of people for who its important too. Thinking of races as YOUR race results in horrible behaviour which is then justified because "its MY race". Think of others not just yourself.

Seriously?! I genuinely don't know if you're actually being serious with that post Tunney.

I would think that The Race (note the capital letters) is made up of multiple entrants running their own race (note the lack of capital letters).

Do I care that other people are competing in a race that I'm in? Of course I do, they're my competition, they're who I have to beat.

Just because I say "I'm going to enjoy my race" does that mean I'm going to do all sorts of stupid things in a selfish manner and ruin anybody else's race with "horrible behaviour"? No, of course it doesn't, it means I'm focusing on doing the best that I can do and enjoying it while I'm competing.

Lighten up man, it's getting to the stage where I can identify your posts without even reading your user name ....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Oryx wrote: »
    If you couldn't swim the distance without a wetsuit, you really shouldn't be swimming it at all.

Well, I am not sure about this...how many people on here swim regularly in the sea without a wetsuit. I know I am capable of swimming the distance, having done up to 3km open water with a wetsuit and 5km pool, but I don't have the opportunity to swim without a wetsuit in the sea that much (too cold for me, even though I am surrounded by lunatics swimming almost daily in the sea in togs! might try this year though, a lap of sandycove on a irish hot day) I have swam in the warm water in spain, no idea of distance, and there is no problem there....unless, of course you mean, swimming the distance in the pool?

12 weeks training, to 750m racing, is very doable for those that are determined. However, this forum is going to be plagued over the next few months by people who signed up for the Dublin HIM months ago, but haven't done any swim training since. The sort that will rely on a wetsuit and a prayer to get them around. The sort who will also enter other Tri races for the experience. The sort who let out a cheer when a safety officer cancels the swim when he sees unprepared swimmers in brand new wetsuits. The "can I still do it on zero training?" crowd. Far easier to say yes you can go for it dude, rather than suggesting that now (or several months ago) was the time to begin their training.

Not a lot I can do about that, except encourage unprepared swimmers to get prepared and race ready, every way I can (such as the beginner thread). For selfish reasons; I'm fed up of travelling the length of the country and having Tri swims cancelled because organisers are concerned of the lack of swim ability of back packers. For non-selfish reason; nothing beats the feeling of swimming through open water with confidence, and everyone can experience that.

Open water swimming and pool swimming are bastly different. One can be good at pool, but might have fear of open water (i know I am as comfortable in the open water, and remember my first ever lap in sandycove, kinsale, turning that corner into the open sea...it was scary..I have done a few laps since, and still remember that first one....as long as one is aware of their abilities and don't try to put themselves or others at risk is fine).
    Now, you can't blame the people turning up to events where there are no clear indications of what's expected. A lot of the swims I am intending to participate have a "qualifying" requirement, ie. proof that you are competent swimmer or you can't enter..so that's what the organisers should start looking for I think.

It seems the even the op has entered is designated for beginners, it's pool based, and hopefully it'll give OP a base to train harder to be able to do what's required of him for his next even in august, plenty of time to get better if proper training is done ahead of it. Best of luck!

Advertisement