Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beeping the horn

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd like to see some of you wimps trying to drive in an Indian town. There, the horn is basically a way of indicating that you exist on the road, otherwise other drivers might not know you're there:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I like to use mine to say goodbye to friends whose house I just left 20 seconds ago as I'm driving out of their housing estate at 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you have time to react and use your horn, then you probably don't need to use your horn.

The only times I use it are to alert to someone to the fact that they can't see me and they're about to hit me (so drifting out of their lane, rolling back down a hill, etc) or let them know gently that lights are green.

Beeping at someone because they're an idiot does nothing except turn them into an even bigger idiot - now they're both stupid and angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Well if you see a coach parked up and a few lads near the bushes shedding fluids you have to give them a beep.
    Also hot women, they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

vienne86 wrote: »
    Not using a filter light deserves a beep.
    What's worse is when you're at a junction waiting to go left. There's a filter light for going straight ahead, but no solid green, and the old duffer behind who doesn't understand filter lights and probably got a licence just by applying for one starts beeping at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

One of my funnier memories are of wiring someone's horn to their brake lights. Oh the laughs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Tend to briefly use the horn to make people pay attention, like the light's changed and they've not moved for awhile, for example... only use the horn down hard for idiots that are doing something dangerous, which is pretty common on rural roads and people are well on your side around blind bends.

Absolutely hate people that use the horn aggressively because they're impatient twats though, such as at lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

seamus wrote: »
    If you have time to react and use your horn, then you probably don't need to use your horn.

Correct, and more importantly, it may not be safe to use it. When some people encounter a dangerous driver on the road, their initial reaction is to slam the horn rather than slow down and try to avoid a accident. The only time I use my horn is to alert someone.

• Advertisement

I only ever give a quick beep if I need to draw someone's attention to something. I despise the horn leaners, it's so aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Only at Taxis and old people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

My wife keeps reaching over and hitting my horn. Bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Horn is there for safety.

Not for beeping at 2am as you leave some gaff.

My horn has been used a lot but working a ok.

Chuck Norris wouldn't be one for the need of a horn he would solve the problem with a swift kick to your face.

oh aye!

My wife keeps reaching over and hitting my horn. Bloody annoying.

oh aye!

wish mine would reach over and hit my horn

I hate people who use the horn as a driving aid

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I use my horn all the time, it's the done thing where I drive. Took a bit of getting used to everyone blowing their horns all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

In NYC, it's horn cenral.

It's beep this, and beep that, you beeping beeper was another one, Beep beepity beep beep..
    It's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I have, but I prefer New York minute by Don Henley.

• Advertisement
Advertisement