Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord to buy bed?

Options
2»

Comments

aido79 wrote: »
    A landlord is under absolutely no obligation to provide a bed.

Yes they are If they are renting a furnished property.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Legally they could probably put a sleeping bag or a blow up mattress in every bedroom. I just don't see why someone would go through night after night of poor sleeping and risk of back pain just because they aren't satisfied with a bed that was provided by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Beds were provided in the property - two single beds and the OP was happy to accept them. The landlord is under no obligation to provide beds to the tenants' exact specifications.

OP as someone who suffers terribly from back pain, invest in your own bed.

I got double beds for our two spare bedrooms in the Arnotts warehouse sale. At €550 each, they were half price and they are excellent beds. I don't know when the next warehouse sale is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My Dad rents a couple of apartments. Has often had requests to change beds (swap a double out for 2 singles or whatever). If the tenants are good, he always obliges. Is not a big deal after all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Op we live in a RAZ house and there were 2 single beds a small double and a normal(ish) double. Through our property manager we requested the all beds removed ASAP (though not all at the same time). we bought a small double bed for our daughter and eventually moved that in to the small bedroom and bought bunk beds for the kids (we have 2 kids boy and girl) all bed were bought by us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My Dad rents a couple of apartments. Has often had requests to change beds (swap a double out for 2 singles or whatever). If the tenants are good, he always obliges. Is not a big deal after all?
    How much does he spend on the mattresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I got a new bed in a couple of places, I nearly always ask for a fresh mattress when moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just a question but would people be willing to pay towards a good mattress along with the landlord if they are going to be staying there a while, even if they have to leave it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Skerries wrote: »
    just a question but would people be willing to pay towards a good mattress along with the landlord if they are going to be staying there a while, even if they have to leave it there?

No. I'd rather buy it myself and get to keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That depends if you have the ability/resources to move and store beds. Or the desire to buy and sell beds every-time a tenant changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I cannot understand why landlords get fussy about buying their tennants decent quality gear for the house.

Isn't everything they buy for the house tax deductible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I cannot understand why landlords get fussy about buying their tennants decent quality gear for the house.

Over 8 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Doesn't make economic sense as

its gets trashed.
    Tenants always want to change it.
    (One wants two singles, the next a double)
    There a costs to change it.

The alternative is to rent unfurnished.

Advertisement