Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord to buy bed?

Options
  • 25-03-2015 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Ok moved into property & there was 2 single beds, which we pushed together to make a double bed. We been there a year & were thinking a double bed would be better as the 2 singles are old & squeak.
    Is it up to the LL to provide a double bed? We are a married couple

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Ok moved into property & there was 2 single beds, which we pushed together to make a double bed. We been there a year & were thinking a double bed would be better as the 2 singles are old & squeak.

Buy your own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Gatling wrote: »
    Buy your own

But what do we do with the 2 singles? Theres no room to keep them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

But what do we do with the 2 singles? Theres no room to keep them

Adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Adverts.ie

With the LL's permission, of course!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

With the LL's permission, of course!!

What 2 single beds Landlord? :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

our landlord bought us a new mattress when we asked him to.
    other people when they move into a house/ apartment ask for new mattresses and get them.

some landlords say no, some yes.
    ask, say the reason and see what happens. worst answer is he says no.
    in that case ask him to can he remove the old beds. leave it up to him then to decide is it really worth not buying a new bed for the place.

Seriously, though. OP - this should have been raised with the LL in the beginning before you moved in. Did you ever ask him to remove/provide a double bed?

I'd write to the LL, explain you're a married couple who'd like a double bed and ask him to remove the singles. Buy your own bed, and leave it at that.

It wasn't brought up at the start because we weren't originally going to stay past 6 months but we have started to like the place & area so are going to stay longer.
    I was going to ask next week but thought id ask first

• Registered Users Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask, in person or by phone. DON'T start by putting things in writing, keep that for if things go bad in dealing with the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep I was just going to say the time to mention it would have been when ye were moving in. It there was two singles and it said it then it is kinda tough. Ye will have to get yer own bed. Of course ask the landlord maybe if he could take the others but if not then ye will have to find someplace to put them.

I know we wanted a new mattress as the one we got was pretty shocking, but we got our own. When it came to getting rid of a double bed as it wasn't needed we asked him and he said to do what we wanted but twas at our

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Sometimes I wonder are tenants simply taking the p...?

I think some of them expect the landlord to turn down the duvet for them at night and give them breakfast in bed.

Having been a tenant in my early adult life, I most certainly never demanded anything from my landlords. My rent was always paid in advance and I treated the property with the same respect as if my own.

I do think tenants here are too spoon-fed. Having said that, it is what it is, and the law says that the LL has to supply certain furnishings, no matter how poor the quality is. I suggested putting the request in writing, so there will be a record. It DOES NOT mean the tenant's getting stroppy...

If it's something small, then I simply buy my own - lift and shift!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I do think tenants here are too spoon-fed. Having said that, it is what it is, and the law says that the LL has to supply certain furnishings, no matter how poor the quality is. I suggested putting the request in writing, so there will be a record. It DOES NOT mean the tenant's getting stroppy...

There is a huge amount of spoon feeding !

The vast majority of tenants are fine people, there is a segment who are simply a waste of space !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is it up to the LL to provide a double bed?
    No. You can ask, and you may get one, but it may be the cheapest one he could find.

Or it could be one that he had in storage from before he had two single beds in your house....!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

When I was privately renting, we went out and bought our own mattress.
    We bought exactly the one we wanted and then when we left, we just took it with us.
    Do that maybe?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Personally for something like a bed which I was going to sleep in every night there is no way I would rely on someone else to choose it for me. Just ask the landlord to remove the beds that are there and get yourself a new bed. A landlord is under no obligation to provide a bed for you:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No? Why would you even think that he does?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You'll be spending about 240 hours a month on it. Spend the cash, and buy it yourself. And as above, bring it with you when you go.

I got a Sealy from beds.ie, and they have doubles from €350, but BigMickey talks about a sale they're doing in their Longford warehouse, and he can answer any questions he has.

Spoon fed?? Firstly I asked the question should the LL buy the bed....no where did I say we were not willing to buy the bed ourselves.
    All I wanted was advice

Sometimes I wonder are tenants simply taking the p...?

I think some of them expect the landlord to turn down the duvet for them at night and give them breakfast in bed.

Having been a tenant in my early adult life, I most certainly never demanded anything from my landlords. My rent was always paid in advance and I treated the property with the same respect as if my own.

I am not demanding anything, all I'm asking is it the LL responsibility to supply a double bed or whether it is our responsibility? & also what to do with the 2 single beds. I was asking for advice not to get crucified

• Advertisement

Spoon fed?? Firstly I asked the question should the LL buy the bed....no where did I say we were not willing to buy the bed ourselves.
    All I wanted was advice

Read what I wrote. I said 'TENANTS', of which I am one. I did not say 'HELP!!!!'.

I stand by what I wrote. Instead of asking for (and probably getting) a crappy mattress, be proactive and buy one. It'll your backs that'll thank you, not mine. As Fussy Onion says, you can take it with you when you leave.

That was my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Best thing to do is buy one yourself. As someone else said, if the LL is buying one, he is going to buy a cheap one. Spend your own cash and buy a nice comfy one to suit, you will have it for years no matter when you leave the house you are currently renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The big issue is the storage of the old beds. They are the landlord's and you have to keep them. It is unlikely the landlord will want to store them for you if there is no space in the house itself. I know one property where the size of the attic opening was increased so beds could be hooshed up and down, definitely a worthwhile project for a landlord (but you have to be very careful putting beds up and down).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

We already have replaced one mattress, got new coffee table, toaster etc....why call landlord when rentals are increasing day by day and when u r on rolling contract....:p !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

the_syco wrote: »
    No. You can ask, and you may get one, but it may be the cheapest one he could find.

Or it could be one that he had in storage from before he had two single beds in your house....!

I have asked two previous landlords for a new mattress as the older ones were in bits and causing back pain and both times I got old ones they had in storage, one was even a few inches too small for the base.

Our current place, the landlord put in new beds because the last tenants wrecked the place but of course they are the cheapest of the cheap so we dismantled the bed and stored it away (mattress in the spare room) and bought our own superking bed :)

Personally I'd be asking the LL. I wouldn't have any interest in putting my own money into something that should be provided. I've only ever used the provided mattresses in places I've been, my current one is fine and if I didn't move from my previous place I was going to be asking for a new one.

Yeah you can bring it with you but it may not be suitable for the bed in your next place (too big/small) and if I was buying a place the bed I would be getting would be almost certainly too big for any rental sized mattress.

Same as the above for an entire bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

I wouldn't have any interest in putting my own money into something that should be provided

There were already beds provided when the OP moved in over a year ago, with no complaint forthcoming in that period. What would make you think that a double bed should now be 'provided'?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Since ive moved to Dublin and left behind my college years, ive never moved into a place with a good mattress. Of the 4 places ive lived in Dublin, 1 had a barely acceptable mattress.

In 2 of the places I inquired with the agency about getting a replacement mattress which always required some level of justification. Telling them "mattresses shouldn't fold in half, never-mind thirds" always seemed to work. Both times bargain town were used, for a bargain basement price, but at least a new firm mattress was installed.

The third mattress was in a total dive of a place, so I left before Mattress Mick was called in.

My biggest problem with buying our own mattress is A) will my current place remove the existing mattress and B) will my my future place remove their mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

Seek legal advice from a lawyer and sue the LL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Personally I'd be asking the LL. I wouldn't have any interest in putting my own money into something that should be provided. I've only ever used the provided mattresses in places I've been, my current one is fine and if I didn't move from my previous place I was going to be asking for a new one.

Yeah you can bring it with you but it may not be suitable for the bed in your next place (too big/small) and if I was buying a place the bed I would be getting would be almost certainly too big for any rental sized mattress.

Same as the above for an entire bed.

A landlord is under absolutely no obligation to provide a bed.

Advertisement