Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Can Now Drive Around The World.... (Almost)

Options
  • 25-03-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

A 12,400 mile super highway is being proposed that would take people from Britain to America in what would be the ultimate road trip. It is an idea being put forward in a way to improve Russia's tourism, with the hope that people would be more willing to travel through the country having a much more desired destination at the end, like the States.

The Siberian Times report that the route would be based on The Trans-Sibera Railway, going through cities like Yekaterinburg, Irkutsk and Vladivostok. Not exactly most sought after tourist locations it must be admitted.

Meanwhile we're just sitting here waiting on the Luas lines to be joined up...

Comments

I did Dublin to Madrid and Dublin to Paris twice. Love this idea though.

Whats the bets they get this finished before the luas

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

A month driving through Russia, to get to Alaska. Yay...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

If it's anything like this, no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Can you not do that now anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Clever man Putin. Russia will get Alaska back yet.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

There was a tv show some years ago called 'Wrong way round' where Ewan McGregor went around the world on a motor bike. Took a plane to to the US of course. And a boat between Russia and Alaska.
    It was a good show.
    My brother in law did the same journey on his bike a few years later. Took him 8 weeks. A real adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

After they build this, they are going to be pissed once they hear of this new invention called planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The Peanut wrote: »
    Clever man Putin. Russia will get Alaska back yet.:)

They'll get it back even if it means towing it all the way to Moscow!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

There was a tv show some years ago called 'Wrong way round' where Ewan McGregor went around the world on a motor bike. Took a plane to to the US of course. And a boat between Russia and Alaska.
    It was a good show.
    My brother in law did the same journey on his bike a few years later. Took him 8 weeks. A real adventure.

My brother in law was more Ewan McGregor from Trainspotting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

BeerWolf wrote: »

That's awesome, would love to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

These people need a Monorail.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

connundrum wrote: »
    These people need a Monorail.

Is there a chance the track could bend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Who did the research on that? Vladivostok is closer to Queensland than it is to the Bering Strait. Be like going to Turkey via Tromso.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is there a chance the track could bend?

What about us drunken slobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Who did the research on that? Vladivostok is closer to Queensland than it is to the Bering Strait. Be like going to Turkey via Tromso.

I was gobsmacked by that factoid, but cccording to google, Vladivostock is 8,175km from Brisbane, but 4,361km from the Bering Strait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

baaba maal wrote: »
    I was gobsmacked by that factoid, but cccording to google, Vladivostock is 8,175km from Brisbane, but 4,361km from the Bering Strait.

I was using a bit of poetic license there, bit it's 5950km to Turnagain island, so not that much difference.

What about us drunken slobs?

You'll be given cushy jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Am I the only one who thinks of Bering Strait and then is suddenly disappointed that Shadow Moses isn't a real place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

There's this new sh1t called flying and sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sure you have to leave your engine running in case the daysel freezes

Whats that going to cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Route CCCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

BeerWolf wrote: »

Jaysus. I was in a (harmless) road crash a few years ago, and am constantly having nightmares like that video where I am swept off the road, or the road suddenly does a rollercoaster-loop.

Am hoping this new round-the-world road is a little bit more in the style of the M1 than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I once travelled from London to Beijing using only trains. It was a wonderful experience, but I'd rather use the services of BA or Lufthansa if Asia or the States were places I needed to get to in a hurry for work purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I once travelled from London to Beijing using only trains. It was a wonderful experience, but I'd rather use the services of BA or Lufthansa if Asia or the States were places I needed to get to in a hurry for work purposes.

I'd rather a private jet to the services of BA or Luthansa, but each to their own I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'd rather a private jet to the services of BA or Luthansa, but each to their own I suppose...

Lacking resources for a jet, I still would not be using BA or Lufthansa.

Quatar have the best business class. Singapore airlines, Qantas, Etihad and Emirates also get notable mentions.
    And for the US, Virgin business class is great.

All put BA and Lufthansa in the shade, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Sounds class. Although it would make for a relatively dull trip on some stretches. Despite common belief, most of Russia is just endless forest and it's that forest that will contribute to much of the view on that long stretch across. Similarly, some stretches across Alaska and Canada would be very dull too.

The real attraction for this trip is obviously distance. But if that's the case, why not take the pan-American highway all the way down to Patagonia after crossing into Alaska?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

damn i just assumed it was a few hundred miles north. right beside NK and japan. mind blown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

It was a good show.

Would have benefited from losing Charley Boorman in the edit.

• Advertisement

Sounds class. Although it would make for a relatively dull trip on some stretches. Despite common belief, most of Russia is just endless forest and it's that forest that will contribute to much of the view on that long stretch across. Similarly, some stretches across Alaska and Canada would be very dull too.

The real attraction for this trip is obviously distance. But if that's the case, why not take the pan-American highway all the way down to Patagonia after crossing into Alaska?

They'd need to fill in the Darien Gap, can't be done by car otherwise. For some reason, this annoys me a lot more than it should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway

Advertisement