Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billions [Showtime] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The constant talking in references by everybody is getting old now, I find it distracting and un natural.

Chuck has shed some amount of weight over teh last few episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I recently zipped through the last few episodes of the last series.....it's very lightweight imho, easy on the eye and probably not worth examining in too much detail.

There was one scene in particular with Prince and an investor which I found very grating....the investor was going to pull his funds and Prince basically ranted at and insulted him for about 5 mins....and yer man goes "Sure ok...I'll hang on" 😂

I mentioned on the thread last year I think about character allegiances and motivations - there's been so many shifts and switches now that I genuinely don't know who's doing what and why (but maybe I'm not paying enough attention).

If I remember correctly this show started out as a somewhat edgy satire (?)....not sure what it's trying to be now tbh... there's an occasional look and feel of Succession but then it reverts back to parody mode.

Having said all that I'll watch the new series....it's something of a guilty pleasure at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont think it was ever meant to be satire, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I guess I have no real frame of reference for how billionaires act, but based on what I see from Bezos and friends I dont think Axe is too far off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Maybe satire is the wrong word...from memory it was more light-hearted and didn't take itself so seriously.

I wouldn't have a lot of insight into billionaires either...I'd imagine they get to a point where money doesn't matter anymore and it's all about ego and d1ck measuring.

Will be interested to see where the new season goes anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It was loosely based on SAC capital in the US with Axe based on the founder of that fund. Basically they were all over insider information etc and were eventually caught by the SEC.

In reality though it's difficult to make that premise into a whole series and hence it drifted away after the first season or so. I stopped watching after series 4. I think I'll give it a go getting back into it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Billions renewed for season 7 at Showtime

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

It has some of the sharpest writing Ive seen in ages. 'Ill roll over you like a tank through Tiannemen f*cking Square' was a stand out quote for me from Season 5 or 6 I think it was. That competitive edge they constantly wanted to get over each other. Characters were so deeply flawed but you could not help but be fond of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Put a fork in it they're done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've found this season better than expected. But not a lot going on really.

I've already forgotten why chuck has such an issue with Prince. He doesn't seem so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Chuck has a problem with Prince because he backstabbed him to get to Axel and now Chuck has a bee in his bonnet over the whole Billionaire Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i was not expecting much from this series after axe left but it seems to have made it more interesting again having prince around leading the ship

The internet isn’t for everyone

Ah yeah, I forgot about Prince doing that. And obviously it lead to Axe being able to escape to Europe. Overall though, Prince doesn't seem too bad. Not as much of a bad guy compared to Axe anyway. And Chuck looks like a bit of a dick for trying to stop the Olympics coming to New York.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Chuck has ran his course but with yerone jumping ship it should freshen things up a bit, it's not a bad watch but not as good as it used to be.

Yeah, it was a good move for her. I was getting a bit bored with her just standing at chucks side.

I thought last week was the end of the season and I thought it was a good way to finish it to setup Chuck vs Prince, the next episode is even better and sets up a few very interesting potential storylines.

Good to see Chuck being spun on his arse, his speech went on a bit too long for my liking and I was tempted to fast forward it

An amazing speech to have ready with no preparation, having him up freed up to take the fight to Prince should make for some good TV.

That was a brilliant episode. I reckon it will be Chuck V Sweeney for Governor next season

I didn't even think of Chuck running for Governor, that'd be a great storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

This has been a better season than I expected but surely it's has to come to an end soon?

It has potential to keep going, Dollar Bill/Mafy haven't been used much so there's a lot of potential there, a new Chuck has to come in, Chuck is still in play, a couple of new Billionaire's have been brought it, I like the direction it's going and removing the whole Axe/Chuck is making it even better.

They have just reinvented it by replacing ax with Mike Prince

Yeah, it's just been the same formula really. Last night proved it, with Prince just setting up Chuck and Dave outside the park, paying off the participants.

I can see Taylor leaving and setting up with Scooters nephew. Can't remember his name! Possibly taking Tuk and Ben along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Wags was a bit of a spare part this season. Very little of his usual escapades. Patrick is the nephew's name as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Far too many movie and sporting quotes / references. Nobody speaks like that and can come across as lazy write as in fills the gaps where real dialogue should be.

It's an enjoyable show but very samey and has been for a while - you take a swing at me - I take a swing at you. Tune in next week to see how swings being taken.

Its just lots the magic that was the early seasons.

I would like to see Axe back in the mix, highly unlikely.

Either team up with Prince to get rid of chuck for good or team up with chuck to get revenge on price but that has kinda happened before/

No chance he'll come back. He knows the show is creatively all washed up.

Possibly a small cameo type roll in the final season or something.

• Advertisement

Advertisement